TC Pro Hunter

$800?????? HOLY CRAP, DO I HAVE THAT MUCH INVESTED INTO MY ENCORES???? I hope my wife doesn't read this. I have a good excuse or two. I bought these in pieces, frame, stocks, barrels, scopes, etc, etc. I only paid a few hundred at a time and didn't keep track of how much I had into them total. Let's see, $320 for a barrel, $250 for a frame, $150 for stocks, $350 for the scope and mounts, THAT'S OVER $1000 FOR ONE GUN!!!!! AND IT'S JUST A STUPID SINGLE SHOT. It's a good thing that I like them. I have two muzzle loaders, a shotgun, a 223, & a 22-250, and I'm planning on getting a 7mm barrel soon. They shoot real good - 1/2" groups with my handloads, and they're really well balanced and handy - even with a 28" barrel.

You have to decide that littlebuck! What we like & how much we will spend for any item shouldn't concern anyone else.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

Good answer Tripple Seven. If I tried to justify almost any of my rifle purchases I probably wouldn't have them. Some I got on a deal and others I paid just the right amount for or I wouldn't have bought them.

I'm not dogging the encores, I have one with 22-250 and a .50 cal. Barrel. New question, what do you guys think of the improvement's that have been made to the new pro hunter version of the encore? I looked at one a few weeks ago it looked and felt pretty nice.

You should have waited. T/C just came out with the new Triumph ML that is beautiful. It is a mix of the Encore and the Omega. They don't list interchangeable barrels, but I don't see why it is not possible. See their web page. Cant find out what the list is yet.

It is on lay away so I can cancel it for 10 bucks. I had to wait for a barrel shipped in so maybe layaway was a good call. The only thing is Im not a big fan of the Omega but I am of the Encore. If you can't change barrels than Im for sure not a fan.

What would be the advantage of an Encore over Omega other than switching barrels. I'm just starting to look into getting a replacement for my ole Renegade?

That "Triumph" thing is NOT beefed up, and it's not an Encore or Omega. It looks like come sort of a hybrid of the two. It has an alloy (light weight) break action like the Encore, but doesn't have interchangable barrels. And it looks like it uses a trigger guard similar to the Omega to open the action. I guess they came up with this design for people who can't decide weather to get the Encore or the Omega. Here ya go, a little of each. I'll stick with my Encores thank you very much.

Yes!!! The Encore is worth every penny. I bought mine while I was in college working part time, while my wife stayed home with a new baby. I am not trying to win the contest for being the biggest dickhead, I am just saying that the gun is that nice.

By the way, my wife wanted me to have the gun. She rocks!!

2pointer

Saying weather or not anything we will ever buy is worth what we paid for it, is at best subjective. It is truely a matter of personal desion. Having said that these are my thoughts on the T/C Pro Hunter.

I at present own a first run encore 209x50 Magnum ML. After 12+ years and at last count way over 2500 magnum loads out of it, I will say IMHO I simply can not see how one can justify $800 for a ML when T/Cs Omega is hands down a all around more capable ML, at a faaar more resonable price. Basicly you will have and suffer nearly all the problems I had and still have with my first run Encore at nearly double the price I originally paid. The Pro Hunters Barrel is not proof tested before it leaves the factory, nore is it tested for accuracy, and it comes with no accuracy gaurantee, and its trigger is not adjustable, these are quality factors common to less expencive MLs made by both Knight and Savage and for $800 thay should be standard on the Pro Hunter, which is again a matter of my opinion, but I beleive a quite reasnable opinion given the $800 cost of the firearm.

Dont get me wrong T/C makes among the best MLs out there but for $800+ I had better not have to deal with pin movemet problems, and change in POI ALMOST every time I take it apart to clean it. Now I know some one is going to post claiming never to have had any of the problems with their Pro Hunter that I described, but these problems are common to both mine as well as my friends Encore as we both bought them when thay first came out. Go to any website with a in line forum and you will see lots of posts concerning Encores and pins and POI shifts. All I am saying is for $800 you should get a ML that is 99% trouble free.

I guess I sould re phrase my statement to say, I would be willing to pay $800 for a ML if I felt the ML I received warrented the price. Based on that, I personally would not be willing to pay $800 for a Pro Hunter for the reasons I listed, some one else on the other hand will feel it is worth $800. Neither of us is wrong, just of a different opinion.

When I spent nearly a entire year researching buying another ML, my search lead me to the inescapable conclusion that for $560 W/S&H, a stainless steel laminated stock Savage 10ML-II was IMHO the best buy for my $$$ for a new ML as to be found ANY WHERE period. But that was MY opinion, others will undoubtedly differ with me.

My Omega started to get erratic so I pulled the stock and found the forward lug had worked loose. Tow itty bitty screws holdin er down. Tack welded the block and bedded it. Now its a rifle again.

150 grns with 290 barnes TMZ and it shoots out to 250 with no probs.

I dont get what all the hype is about.

I did not read one thing in that article with a link to it about how well it shoots. What pattern does it produce at 100 yards.

The author goes on and on about the recoil pad (which came standard on most guns last year), the better breach plug (which I don't take off very often), the ram rod (my old fashioned one works great the first time), and other stuff like a fluted barrel.

It takes 30 seconds to reload a muzz so the barrel is not going to get really hot. You are lucky to shoot twice at a buck so the barrel doesn't seem to be suffering from a ton of heat.

Really, all those cosmetic changes will not make my bullet fly farther. All those cosmetic changes will not maky my deer any deader. A better rifle? Please, bring one out and shoot against a seasoned rifle. I know what the results will be.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I agree with that! Randy Wakeman is not a good person to take advice from. His so called Expert advise/ reviews are not good. Take a look at his Winchester x-150 reviews. He pretty much stated that it can only shoot 2 1/2" groups @ 100 because thats what his did. He also said you can not cap it by hand.
Seeing how i own the rifle that he did his review on "x-150" Heres what i came up with after working loads up.

Average group size, 5/8" @ 100 yards " open sights"

CCI/Federal 209, Firing pin pulls primer half way out after its been fired, a flick of the wrist and it falls out, thumb/index finger puts in a few primer. Randy Wakeman isnt a very good source to look to when you need good helpful, professional info. Hes very shady and refuses to answer your questions when you bring up something hes bad mouthed.

IMO, when you're a "pro" like he supposedly is, you use different bullets,powders,primers with the rifle you're doing a review on to see which load/bullet the rifle performs best on. But i dont like the guy at all, or his reviews.

I purchased a Pro Hunter after a little research and I sure love it! It boiled down to personal preference in the end. There are a lot of great muzzleloaders out on the market today and they all are very accurate. I wasn't too worried about the cost even though it's kind of expensive in my book (I paid $750 for mine), but then again my monthly truck payment isn't much less. I just wanted what I liked the best.
I've shot several muzzleloaders and I really liked the reduced recoil on the Pro Hunter. I tried a different muzzleloader with the same recoil pad and load and the Pro Hunter was still less recoil. It's balanced well too. Like most modern muzzleloaders it's easy to clean, load, and shoot. Like everyone else has said, it's up to you and what you like. For me, it was the Pro Hunter!

Good luck,
Steve
P.S. I was able to check out the new TC Triumph (my brother-in-law now has one) and I still like the Pro Hunter better. Like I said before, just my personal preference.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom