TC Renegade

elkchaserreturns

Been thinking about getting into this "front stuffin" shooting for many years and finally took the plunge.
Just picked up an "as new" 50 cal, TC Renegade and was hoping someone out there could recommend a good starting place for loads. Preferred powder, bullet, etc.
Plan on using it for elk in CO next year.
I realize almost everyone out there is now shooting the "in lines" but I was hoping there were one or two stubborn old farts (like me) still shooting the traditional stuff.

Thanks
ElkChaser

In my 50 cal Renegade I use 385 grain Hornady Great Plains bullet and 80 grains of Triple 7 FFF.I also converted it to shoot the musket cap instead of the #11.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-08 AT 09:02AM (MST)[p]With ffg 777 and regular # 11 caps I would have occasional hangfires. Switching to fffg and magnum #11's solved that problem. However, some of my friends switched to musket caps and they love those too.

Here is a great product that I highly recommend for the Renegade. It is called a Kap Kover. Serves two purposes: to keep your primer totally dry and weatherproof, and also serves as a safety. There is no way the hammer can strike the primer with this cap on. It attaches to the guns trigger by a leather strap and is easy to take off and on. Here it is: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7657

The renegade is not that picky on bullets. I have had good luck with powerbelts, maxiballs, and hornady great plains. However, I would try the new Hornady FPB bullet. 350 grains and seems to hold together well for good penetration and terminal performance. Cabelas and Basspro have them as well as many others. Someone told me Walmart was going to get them too.

Powders: I have had good accuracy from pyrodex and 777. Slight edge to pyrodex, but I usually use 777. Somewhere between 80 and 100 grains of powder is usually accurate (I pick the one in that range that is most accurate) and has plenty of power to take an elk.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I qualify as a stubburn old fart. Excellent choice with the TC Renegade. I have a couple renegades and hawken rifles. My favorite is the Hawken 50 caliber. I shoot 100 grains of goex and use the TC 370 maxiball. I put a peep sight on it and limit my shots to one hundred yards. I didn't draw a bull tag this year but I will get it out on a buck.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-08 AT 04:17PM (MST)[p]Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Been doing a lot of reading but it is always good to get the first hand info from the folks that know.
I bought the Lyman Black Powder manual but it seems a little "generic" and doesn't have any data for the Triple 7 powder!
The main thing I needed to confirm is the MAX load! Sounds like 100 grains is it.
Can't wait to go make some noise and see what it does over the chronograph. I will let you know how it develops.

Thanks again!
Elkchaser

Welcome to the stubborn old fart club. Good to hear somebody else doing it the old fasion way. I do like great plains hornady conicals, around 80 to 90 grains. 100 grains is max for a conical, in that gun with a thompson barrel. For us old farts, the peep's seem to be a favorite. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom