Teach me bout water filtration systems

M

MEEW

What is the best system for backpacking in. Can you filter any water you find. Any info would be great. Looking into gettin a system for xmas and wonderin which on is best and best for the $$$$

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-10 AT 10:39PM (MST)[p]Go to sportsman's warehouse. They will show you what you need. You can go with a ceramic filter. Depends how dirty your water is ,most will do 400 or 500 gallons of water. Most ceramic filters have replacement cartridges.
There ia a new system that uses two little bottles. You put 5 drops of each in the cap. Wait 20 minites and its done. Much better then the old iodine drops of old.
IMHO get both, they both have there place.

Check out the Livesaver walter filtration system or do some online research about it. The US military has been using these for a couple of years now, they are a little pricey, about $150, but are well worth it. You can literally use water from a mud puddle and have clean drinking water in a minute. The filter lasts a long time and they are simple to use, not a bunch of pieces, pumps, hoses, etc. They are worth a look if you are considering the investment in a walter filter system IMHO.

LBR

Try this.

Buy a cheap one, get Giardia.

Three weeks later, you will know EVERYTHING there is to know about the benefits of spending the extra cash!

I also use an old sock charcoal and sand. That's just to clean the water but I don't trust anything other than to boil it. Im not saying the water purifiers don't work, I just don't have the confidence in them. I use dehydrated foods anyway so I boil water every evening. While I am waiting for the food to suck up the hot water I boil more to add back into my drinking bottles and let them cool over night. If it's cold out I throw them in my bag with me when I go to bed. Learned that trick from a fellow MM?er , works great!

GBA

Filters work OK, but are kind of a pain. Better than getting sick however. Campmor has some storage containers that hold 6+ liters of water and fold flat when not in use for transport. Get one of them so you can filter several days worth at once.

In the past I have used a MSR miniworks. It works ok, but it takes a long time to pump a lot of water. This fall I used a Platypus gravity filter. It was awesome. It weighs about the same as my miniworks, but it comes with a dirty and clean 4 liter storage bags you hang in a tree. It would not work if you were trying to filter a mud puddle, but if there is a stream or lake it is great. I guess it depends on what your source is.

I have the katadyn hiker pro and i love it. Works great, seems to filter the water really good. Pumps water pretty darn fast and the filter lasts a long time. Couldnt ask for much more.

The MSR miniworks is what we use but any high quality ceramic pump style filter will do the job. It's not about how fast the pump filters the average water supply...It is about the pressure to force the dirty water through the ceramic filter...purifying the water. it may take some time to press water through the filter but this type filter will filter out everything and is used in Africa etc and that says it all. Choose a water filtration system that will filter a mud hole. The dirtier the water... it will take more time to filter and purify etc. But at least you know you won't get sick from drinking contaminated water.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom