Tech #3 Data

slamdunk

And just like that, Data Models suddenly become Gospel Truths when it comes to success rates on particular weapons, when for years Data Models on both harvest rates on seasons and herd numbers were "inaccurate" and the biologists didn't know what they were talking about.
Go figure ??‍♂️

If it's a "model" the 1st thing ya gotta understand is all models are wrong. Now 2nd IMO is most people don't understand models are wrong nor all the data assumptions represented in the model. They knod as if in agreement when presented the results but still don't understand until taken by the hand and walked through it piece by piece. Then you get the responses just as you mention.

If the models are calculated using the same method year after year, it’s the most accurate data we have. It sounds like you aren’t a fan of the data, when it’s not supporting your push to ban technology. Especially the muzzleloader data, it’s a real ***** convincing people that scopes are slaughtering the herds when harvest statistics don’t increase…

OK, FAIR QUESTION:

If you are FOR leaving variable power scopes on muzzleloaders, explain why and how it benefits you.

If you are for 1x or no scope, explain why.

If I had been provided data that made me think it would actually have a real impact, I’d be all for it. None of the data I’ve seen supports that though. Make it make sense.

OK, FAIR QUESTION:

If you are FOR leaving variable power scopes on muzzleloaders, explain why and how it benefits you.

So, my experience and what I have seen with the little muzzy hunting I have done, some hold out for a better buck since they can shoot a bit further and more accurate. So, my thought is there are more mature bucks killed and less yearlings or 2 or 3 year olds. I think that is why the % have stayed close to the same. But that is just a small sample size of my group of hunting friends.

I would venture to say that technology, variable scope, etc hasn’t necessarily changed the success rates on critters in general. I would guarantee that it has had an impact on mature animal harvest. Don’t need any data to prove that. When you take away mature animals defense system, it’s going to have an impact.

I would venture to say that technology, variable scope, etc hasn’t necessarily changed the success rates on critters in general. I would guarantee that it has had an impact on mature animal harvest. Don’t need any data to prove that. When you take away mature animals defense system, it’s going to have an impact.
This!☝
Exactly what I've been trying to point out.

So is there anything that shows a lack of big bucks being tied to lack of total deer?

Is there a study somewhere that shows a lower percentage of older deer available that shows a decrease not attributable to the general decline of deer numbers in general?

I am actually shocked and impressed by the lack of archery hunters complaining about no fixed electronics on bows.

I would have thought that would be more of a hot topic than muzzleloader scopes.

Both kind of tell an individual story.

OK, FAIR QUESTION:

Fair question:

FOR VARIABLE SCOPES: First plus is for us old timers that age caught up to and our eyes are not what they use to be. Our old eyes just cannot focus on 3 objects (rear sight, front sight and target/animal down range) at the same time and see clearly. A scope, even a 1x power changes this. Even eye glass do not help. they are set up for close or far and one or the other is not clear. I believe variable scopes do provide a much clearer and closer picture for sighting and picking the spot, which I believe results in more lethal kill shots. I for one have not increased my shooting distance with the muzzleloader from before and as stated before, both my longest shots on elk and deer was with my 25+ year old white muzzleloader with a red dot.

However, stating that I know there are those that have taken the magnification scopes and custom built muzzleloaders to the extreme and shoot farther just like the long range rifle shooter do (because they believe they can and some just have that ego and have to state they shot there game at (XXX) range rather then state they used their hunting and stalking skills to put them self in a much better position for a clean ethical kill shot. Nobody can truly believe/state that at extended ranges there are numerous variables that can go wrong (distance, wind, bullet drop, cross winds that totally change directions over distance, bullet and energy performance at extreme ranges. The Gunwork boys TV show does not show them killing animals at 50-100 yards. That is not what they are selling. They show long range shots 500-1600 yards. Unfortunately a lot of people believe they can do the same by just buying the equipment and it's a done deal. How many animals get hit at extreme distances and show no sigh of a hit and walk over the hill or out of sight and died without the shooter even going over to check it out. We all know a lot of them don't walk two and three canyons over to check it out. We also know that finding the same spot where the animal was standing when you shot at it across a draw at even 200-400 yards takes practice and experience. It all looks different from the other side.

FOR GOING BACK TO 1X SCOPES OR OPEN SIGHTS: I never had a problem back in the days before the DWR changed this against so many of us hunters opinions. I have no problem going back. Yes it cost us to move forward and will now cost again to move back. It is all good and as stated before I will help out my boys and family with expenses to comply with what the changes are. Hopefully the DWR gets it right and things don't change ever few years.

Like stated before, a lot of us were not in favor of the magnification changes when the DWR approved them. They were not necessary at the time and in my opinion changed the muzzy hunt for the negative. Over all pleasure of the hunt was impacted in my opinion (over all self pleasure, more road hunters and people busting a stalk with a lob shot, ect).

My number one objection is it made the draw success worst because a lot of people bought there top end custom rifles and scopes and moved over from the rifle season.

Fair question:

FOR VARIABLE SCOPES: First plus is for us old timers that age caught up to and our eyes are not what they use to be. Our old eyes just cannot focus on 3 objects (rear sight, front sight and target/animal down range) at the same time and see clearly. A scope, even a 1x power changes this. Even eye glass do not help. they are set up for close or far and one or the other is not clear. I believe variable scopes do provide a much clearer and closer picture for sighting and picking the spot, which I believe results in more lethal kill shots. I for one have not increased my shooting distance with the muzzleloader from before and as stated before, both my longest shots on elk and deer was with my 25+ year old white muzzleloader with a red dot.

However, stating that I know there are those that have taken the magnification scopes and custom built muzzleloaders to the extreme and shoot farther just like the long range rifle shooter do (because they believe they can and some just have that ego and have to state they shot there game at (XXX) range rather then state they used their hunting and stalking skills to put them self in a much better position for a clean ethical kill shot. Nobody can truly believe/state that at extended ranges there are numerous variables that can go wrong (distance, wind, bullet drop, cross winds that totally change directions over distance, bullet and energy performance at extreme ranges. The Gunwork boys TV show does not show them killing animals at 50-100 yards. That is not what they are selling. They show long range shots 500-1600 yards. Unfortunately a lot of people believe they can do the same by just buying the equipment and it's a done deal. How many animals get hit at extreme distances and show no sigh of a hit and walk over the hill or out of sight and died without the shooter even going over to check it out. We all know a lot of them don't walk two and three canyons over to check it out. We also know that finding the same spot where the animal was standing when you shot at it across a draw at even 200-400 yards takes practice and experience. It all looks different from the other side.

FOR GOING BACK TO 1X SCOPES OR OPEN SIGHTS: I never had a problem back in the days before the DWR changed this against so many of us hunters opinions. I have no problem going back. Yes it cost us to move forward and will now cost again to move back. It is all good and as stated before I will help out my boys and family with expenses to comply with what the changes are. Hopefully the DWR gets it right and things don't change ever few years.

Like stated before, a lot of us were not in favor of the magnification changes when the DWR approved them. They were not necessary at the time and in my opinion changed the muzzy hunt for the negative. Over all pleasure of the hunt was impacted in my opinion (over all self pleasure, more road hunters and people busting a stalk with a lob shot, ect).

My number one objection is it made the draw success worst because a lot of people bought there top end custom rifles and scopes and moved over from the rifle season.
Great post!
And your closing comment speaks massive volumes.

The major gripe I’ve heard about general hunts over the last 10 years is guy shooting yearlings, now we’re supposed to be upset that guys are killing more mature animals, at least according to their anecdotal evidence…
Okay valid I agree. To a point.
This is my point Technology hasn't been addressed or looked at till now.
So why are we not willing to try it. Data or not we all know for a fact we have become better hunters because of technology correct?

Last edited:
The major gripe I’ve heard about general hunts over the last 10 years is guy shooting yearlings, now we’re supposed to be upset that guys are killing more mature animals, at least according to their anecdotal evidence…

No, we're supposed to be upset that tech is killing too many mature animals so we need to limit tech to decrease success and increase opportunity to have a tag in your pocket.

People with a generous amount of PTO becoming good hunters over the years has absolutely nothing to do with it, nor do long hunting seasons.

I wonder how many cows would be killed in antlerless hunts if they were only 5 days long... :unsure:

I am actually shocked and impressed by the lack of archery hunters complaining about no fixed electronics on bows.

I would have thought that would be more of a hot topic than muzzleloader scopes.

Maybe because we have better things to be concerned about and know that they have very little impact on the overall success rates...

Fair question:

Exactly hiw I fell and stated much better than I could have done.

Frankly I like seeing big mature 5+ year old bucks running around. Starting to question if we appreciate or even understand what a big buck is anymore? Most guys kill a 180” 4 year old and think they’ve shot an ancient giant. You’d be correct, there is damn few mature bucks around. I think as sportsmen we can, and the deer deserve, us to do a better job managing the resource.

So why are we not willing to try it. Data or not we all know for a fact we have become better hunters because of technology correct?
I know I have, personally become much more effective… I’ve also become much more selective. I kill fewer animals now than 20 years ago. Part of that is probably a little age as well.

I’ve been very fortunate to be able to hunt in just about all of the Western states, so I say this from that lense….. One thing that cannot be addressed with technology changes, is the fact that Utah has more, per capita, hardcore, and effective deer hunters than anywhere I’ve personally seen. There’s a whole lot of straight killers in Utah.

If Utah annexed New Mexico, there would be 5 bucks left in the whole state, in 2 years……

I think the bait and trail cam bans will pretty much flatten the archery guys out, and level that field.

I personally have no problems with open sights for Muzzleloaders. Might allow some more opportunity there.

Rifles- I think you work with 5-day seasons, October dates, and then Tag numbers…..

I wonder how many cows would be killed in antlerless hunts if they were only 5 days long... :unsure:

They had a 5 day deer hunt.
Opened on a Saturday and closed on a Wednesday years ago and it didn't work.
If I remember correctly they harvested more deer when they had it because the hunt was shortened. Slam would probably know more on this.

The days afield for LE/GS Deer

Rifle average of 4.5/5.5 days give or take a few

Archery average is 7.5/11 days

Muzzleloader average is 4.3 days

This is why I think shorter season dates wont work.

From my POV, some of this exercise is just hunters “eating their own” to get some perceived advantage for their own agenda (Opportunity, or big bucks, or whatever). What we, as a community should DEMAND before we start cutting our own throats, is MANDATORY harvest reporting for 3 years so that we can truly understand the data, and where things could be improved upon.

The data that should matter is pretty simple, IMO….

Carrying capacity of a given unit, and how overall populations are doing against that.

Buck to Doe ratios, compared to whatever target the state deems is acceptable. I, personally like 25+ ratios. That seems to offer a very good experience.

It’s completely unreasonable to think that opportunity is unlimited

I'd be curious

The data says hunters are getting older. Has the variable scopes helped keep success rates higher whereas they may not have without them and older dudes shooting them

They had a 5 day deer hunt.
Opened on a Saturday and closed on a Wednesday years ago and it didn't work.
If I remember correctly they harvested more deer when they had it because the hunt was shortened. Slam would probably know more on this.

The days afield for LE/GS Deer

Rifle average of 4.5/5.5 days give or take a few

Archery average is 7.5/11 days

Muzzleloader average is 4.3 days

This is why I think shorter season dates wont work.
If I understand it right now, you’re working with 14 days of rifle hunts. Early and late October. And how do we know if
something is “working” or not? Do we have good reporting?

I have this issue with almost all of the states BTW. It’s shameful that we don’t have robust, and mandatory reporting from every tag holder, in 2022.

Dwr said the same amount of bucks we're getting killed with a five-day season even though most people disagreed they thought the herds were coming back at the time

Frankly I like seeing big mature 5+ year old bucks running around. Starting to question if we appreciate or even understand what a big buck is anymore? Most guys kill a 180” 4 year old and think they’ve shot an ancient giant. You’d be correct, there is damn few mature bucks around. I think as sportsmen we can, and the deer deserve, us to do a better job managing the resource.
Since opinions are the order of the day, here's mine:

Your opinions on older class bucks has WAY more to do with hunters afield than the gadgets that they carry with them.

Zeke

From my POV, some of this exercise is just hunters “eating their own” to get some perceived advantage for their own agenda (Opportunity, or big bucks, or whatever). What we, as a community should DEMAND before we start cutting our own throats, is MANDATORY harvest reporting for 3 years so that we can truly understand the data, and where things could be improved upon.

The data that should matter is pretty simple, IMO….

Carrying capacity of a given unit, and how overall populations are doing against that.

Buck to Doe ratios, compared to whatever target the state deems is acceptable. I, personally like 25+ ratios. That seems to offer a very good experience.

It’s completely unreasonable to think that opportunity is unlimited
Yes to this^^^ AND, find out REALLY how many bucks and bulls are being killed at 100 yards with a bow, 300+ yards with a front stuffer and how many at 800 yards+ with a rifle.

I think you'd all be shocked at the low number of hunters who are REALLY doing it.....which, again, make it statistically insignificant.

Zeke

Yes to this^^^ AND, find out REALLY how many bucks and bulls are being killed at 100 yards with a bow, 300+ yards with a front stuffer and how many at 800 yards+ with a rifle.

I think you'd all be shocked at the low number of hunters who are REALLY doing it.....which, again, make it statistically insignificant.

Zeke
Agree 100%

something is “working” or not? Do we have good reporting?

I have this issue with almost all of the states BTW. It’s shameful that we don’t have robust, and mandatory reporting from every tag holder, in 2022.
So now we are this deep from Tech#1 post threw Tech#3 and you brought this up.

No we don't have good reporting at all on GS. But we have good reporting on LE it is mandatory.

The data on harvest success on GS is not accurate at all. We don't know how many deer or elk are being harvested.

That's why I chuckle!
Everyone is saying the success it hasn't changed from when they took scopes off Muzzloader, Nobody knows that not even the DWR.

So If you want actual data you have to survey everyone every year to get that.

Last edited:
So now we are this deep from Tech#1 post threw Tech#3 and you brought this up.

No we don't have good reporting at all on GS. But we have good reporting on LE it is mandatory.

The data on harvest success on GS is not accurate at all. We don't know how many deer or elk are being harvested.

That's why I chuckle!
Everyone is saying the success it hasn't changed from when they took scopes off Muzzloader, Nobody knows that not even the DWR.

So If you want actual data you have to survey everyone every year to get that.
New Mexico has mandatory online harvest reporting. Whether you harvest or not. If you don't report, you get fined and also can't apply again until it's done. It's not brain surgery to get this done. Utah would just have to commit to it.

The point is that many complain that a guy shoots a small buck and now the same guys complain that we shoot some (damn few) mature bucks. Make up your mind unless you're just against other people harvesting.

Zeke
Zeke, I have complained my fair share about people shooting yearlings. I also complain about the scopes on muzzleloaders. I would like to see some people be more picky and then need to get closer on a muzzy hunt. I think there are a handful of people (I doubt many of them would be on this site) that may look for a larger deer but then when unable to kill one they shoot a small buck so they can say they killed a deer. If a guy feels he wants the meat and eats it then fine. If a guy doesn’t like it and gives it away then I would rather they just not fill that tag on a younger deer. I know, it’s a lot to ask!

New Mexico has mandatory online harvest reporting. Whether you harvest or not. If you don't report, you get fined and also can't apply again until it's done. It's not brain surgery to get this done. Utah would just have to commit to it.
See we could do something like that.

I rolled the dice for Colorado this year.

The unit me and my son drew out for is a mandatory in person check-in if you harvest.
It maybe that way for the whole state I don't know.

Either way we could do something like that as well.

Last edited:
See we could do something like that.

I rolled the dice for Colorado this year.

The unit me and my son drew out for is a mandatory in person check-in if you harvest.
It maybe that way for the whole state I don't know.

Either way we could do something like that as well.
I believe it is mandatory in person check in for CWD. I couple years ago that is what unit 61 was and we did get them checked. Seems like they move the mandatory check in units around each year.

I wish all states had some kind of mandatory check in for all issued tags. No skin off my teeth and would be glad to do it.

Yes, it’s an undeniable fact that humans have consistently become more efficient hunters since the beginning of time. Like I’ve said, I’m all for limiting technology if the data at least points to it improving opportunity and herd health. I’m not for throwing a bunch of sh!t at the wall, and seeing if it sticks.

It’s a very low percentage of people that use electronics on bows, and the majority of those that do, are shooting the Garmin Xero sight or similar. It’s not going to be that big of a difference for them to switch back to a slider sight. I’m not against eliminating electronics on bows per se, but I highly doubt it will make a damn bit of difference.

OK, FAIR QUESTION:

I am in FAVOR of leaving scopes on muzzleloaders because of 1 reason. I am more accurate with the scope on vs. no scope. We owe it to the game we hunt to make clean ethical kills and a scope makes that objective possible.

The reason the success is so similar from before the scopes were allowed to after is simply because muzzleloader are still; generally speaking a medium range weapon. Granted there are certain muzzleloaders out there that are designed for long range but would be useless without a scope.

If scopes become illegal to use, it will not make hunters less successful as the data shows. I can still effectively kill animals with a 1x scope it just makes accuracy more difficult to achieve. Hunters that are gonna kill stuff will still be successful, however I strongly believe that more animals will be wounded if scopes are removed.

If it boils down to deciding whether to make scopes illegal or modifying components used, I will give up my scope as I would rather not give up the components such as saboted bullets and reliable 209 ignition. I have seen firsthand more animals wounded by the lead only bullet requirements that Idaho restrict hunters to using. At least I know when I hit an animal with a Barnes Sabot that I get complete penetration and proper bullet expansion.

If the intent is to merely make muzzy hunters less successful, taking scopes is not the answer in my opinion. This restriction simply makes the muzzleloader less accurate this resulting in more wounded animals ultimately resulting in just as many animals killed.

Like others have mentioned, my intentions are to fill tags which is why I hunt. I will continue filling tags regardless of what restrictions are put in place. I think mandatory reporting is likely a better option than restrictions on scopes. If the data was 100% accurate we could then manage hunters based off of actual success. Don’t simply pass restrictions if at the end of the day it doesn’t solve the overall problem.

Good decisions are driven by good data, bad decisions are driven by emotion.

This whole “technological limits” push is primarily fueled by emotion-just look at many of the posts on this thread. Not a great recipe for a positive outcome.
Emotions are not one sided either, the emotional posts in favor of keeping variable scopes in place suggests hard facts that they do in fact make an effect on success.

When Caitlyndunk doesn’t like the way the thread is going she/he starts a new thread.

We’re going to be on tech #55 before long…

Agreed emotions are not one sided, and it is likely variable scopes do have some impact on success, but to what degree? Could that success be viewed as a positive when considering accuracy and less wounding of animals? What is the net impact on the herd?

Would be nice to have real and reliable data to answer those questions before knee jerk decisions are made.

Agreed emotions are not one sided, and it is likely variable scopes do have some impact on success, but to what degree? Could that success be viewed as a positive when considering accuracy and less wounding of animals? What is the net impact on the herd?

Would be nice to have real and reliable data to answer those questions before knee jerk decisions are made.
I do agree with a lot of your points.
They are valid and were brought up by various committee members.

One point that keeps getting forgotten by so many, was that scopes were never intended to sit on top of a muzzleloader, we have allowed technology and the lack of challenging it to drive us to this place.

I am in FAVOR of leaving scopes on muzzleloaders because of 1 reason. I am more accurate with the scope on vs. no scope. We owe it to the game we hunt to make clean ethical kills and a scope makes that objective possible.

The reason the success is so similar from before the scopes were allowed to after is simply because muzzleloader are still; generally speaking a medium range weapon. Granted there are certain muzzleloaders out there that are designed for long range but would be useless without a scope.

If scopes become illegal to use, it will not make hunters less successful as the data shows. I can still effectively kill animals with a 1x scope it just makes accuracy more difficult to achieve. Hunters that are gonna kill stuff will still be successful, however I strongly believe that more animals will be wounded if scopes are removed.

If it boils down to deciding whether to make scopes illegal or modifying components used, I will give up my scope as I would rather not give up the components such as saboted bullets and reliable 209 ignition. I have seen firsthand more animals wounded by the lead only bullet requirements that Idaho restrict hunters to using. At least I know when I hit an animal with a Barnes Sabot that I get complete penetration and proper bullet expansion.

If the intent is to merely make muzzy hunters less successful, taking scopes is not the answer in my opinion. This restriction simply makes the muzzleloader less accurate this resulting in more wounded animals ultimately resulting in just as many animals killed.

Like others have mentioned, my intentions are to fill tags which is why I hunt. I will continue filling tags regardless of what restrictions are put in place. I think mandatory reporting is likely a better option than restrictions on scopes. If the data was 100% accurate we could then manage hunters based off of actual success. Don’t simply pass restrictions if at the end of the day it doesn’t solve the overall problem.
Again, no one change whether it be technology related, hunt dates, habitat projects, tag allocation, etc, etc will "solve the overall problem", but collectively they can significantly help get us in a better place.

I do agree with a lot of your points.
They are valid and were brought up by various committee members.

One point that keeps getting forgotten by so many, was that scopes were never intended to sit on top of a muzzleloader, we have allowed technology and the lack of challenging it to drive us to this place.
Says who? If scopes were never intended to sit on a muzzleloader why are the majority of them drilled and tapped for scope rings? That comment makes no sense? Please clarify!!

Says who? If scopes were never intended to sit on a muzzleloader why are the majority of them drilled and tapped for scope rings? That comment makes no sense? Please clarify!!
My old Hawkin isn't drilled for scopes.
Technology advancements are what brought you your inline and with the holes drilled for a scope.
I own both.

Technology advancements are what brought you your inline and with the holes drilled for a scope.
I own both.
When did the in-line come onto the market? I realize the hawkin was never meant for a scope, but I bought my first inline muzzleloader in 1996 that was drilled for a scope.

I own both.
Is the committee considering the idea of banning inline muzzys in addition to scopes?

Is the committee considering the idea of banning inline muzzys in addition to scopes?
I can assure you it was discussed quite extensively, especially for the HAMS hunts but it was decided to leave them alone and simplify the distinction between "primitive" and "modern" by the use of a scope.
No one was willing to even touch all the components like our neighboring states have.
You can keep your sabots, pelletized powder and 1x scope.

Keep in mind this committee was summoned by the WB to make "recommendations" for them to consider in their overhaul of the entire big game hunting program with the focus of "improvement" in mind, not a solution to the overall issue of declining herds and quality, especially our Mule Deer.

Every single person involved in this committee is an avid hunter, including the law officers.
Not a single person on it is trying to destroy what we have, we are just trying to preserve and protect what we have left and try to improve it at costs and sacrifices to each and every one of us.

Sorry I took this quote from a different site.
I would certainly hope there is wide ranging research on the history of weapons.

"You do know inline muzzleloaders existed 100 years before the traditional "Hawkin" style we use today right?

And you don't think anyone ever took a shot from a jeep in the 50s? LOL..."

Sorry I took this quote from a different site.
I would certainly hope there is wide ranging research on the history of weapons.

"You do know inline muzzleloaders existed 100 years before the traditional "Hawkin" style we use today right?

And you don't think anyone ever took a shot from a jeep in the 50s? LOL..."
The first modern inline muzzleloader was invented in 1985 by Tony Knight.

Hey PUNK!

When I Was Younger!

A 400 Yard Shot With a Rifle Was BRAGGIN Rights!

stinky Would Call That a PISSCUTTER Shot!:D

Thats a valid comment, but centerfire rifles were invented and designed to shoot extremely farther than a muzzleloader.

Hi magnification scopes should have ever been allowed on Muzzleloading only hunts.
Scopes are not allowed on muzzleloader hunts in Colorado Idaho and Nevada.
If Utah hunters insist on hunting with scopes on their muzzleloaders just do it during any legal weapon hunts.
In addition to taking scopes off of muzzleloaders I would also be in favor of splitting the tag quotas equally between archery muzzleloader and any legal weapon hunts.
Why should the most lethal weapon get the most tags?
And yes I hunt with all three weapon types.

Why Should Rifles Be Allowed To Have 1,000 Yard Turrets on them?
Hi magnification scopes should have ever been allowed on Muzzleloading only hunts.
If Utah hunters insist on hunting with scopes on their muzzleloaders just do it during any legal weapon hunts.
In addition to taking scopes off of muzzleloaders I would also be in favor of splitting the tag quotas equally between archery muzzleloader and any legal weapon hunts.

Good input thank you.

The reason most people choose the muzzleloader deer hunt is the due to four major factors.
#1 nice comfortable weather.
#2 less hunters afield.
#3 less weary and more abundant bucks.
#4 today's muzzleloader options allow for centerfire rifle like accuracy and quite moderate range abilities to take game.

As you mentioned, at least 3 of our surrounding states took the steps to curb muzzleloader technology years ago.

I just came up with a great idea.Slam I propose that if people want scopes on muzzleloader.
Then they can only use the during a any legal weapon hunt.

I just came up with a great idea.Slam I propose that if people want scopes on muzzleloader.
Then they can only use the during a any legal weapon hunt.
That is exactly what someone on the committee said, almost identically.

If the WB approves the scope reduction, they most certainly have the option to use that weapon and any other legally defined weapon they choose on the "any legal weapon" hunt that we all somehow dub it as "rifle hunt".

If it passes, variable scopes are not illegal at all, they are just illegal to use on a "muzzleloader Only" season.

Maybe The SmokePolers wanna Wear Their Camo?

Maybe Hunt Where There Isn't ORANGE EVERYWHERE!
They can where there Camo just have to where it under a orange vest.
Problem solved Bess.
Oops didn’t read the bottom. Yes what you said hunt where there isn’t orange.

Last edited:
Good input thank you.

The reason most people choose the muzzleloader deer hunt is the due to four major factors.
#2 less hunters afield.
#4 today's muzzleloader options allow for centerfire rifle like accuracy and quite moderate range abilities to take game.

As you mentioned, at least 3 of our surrounding states took the steps to curb muzzleloader technology years ago.
and wear camo

OK, FAIR QUESTION:

Why… because there was no reason to change it in the first place. It was just fine, the aging eyes got 1x scope or if open sights worked better for you then you had that option. I have said this before but go back and watch the WB meeting when variable scope was passed and listen to the naïve comments from the WB chair. The sight/optic you put on a gun/bow is the limiting factor or the advantage of the weapon you shoot regarding distance period. The first year after the change to variable scopes on muzzleloaders I witnessed more lob shots than I had ever seen, resulting in no dead deer but the deer cleared out of the open basin country fast and hit the timber just like the early high country rifle hunts. Hunt experience was diminished for sure. There are several members stating there are no fact to support taking away variable scope the same as there was no need to change it years ago. No different, they did not listen to all the hunters that did not want the change back then and did what they wanted. This time around will likely be no different. Either way, life goes on for me but my preference would be to go back to what it was before the change was made to allow variable scopes on muzzleloaders. There was a post above that had other points that I agree with as well regarding going back to something that was not broken and letting the rifle guys take the long shot. I like not having to wear hunter orange on the muzzleloader hunt and with these long range muzzleloader those days are like numbered. I could go on and on about this subject but in short, limiting technology is needed for a lot of reasons and I support the DWR in look at this issue and thank those on the committee for their time a efforts. I liked putting out cameras and mineral but supported the changes they recently made and I am glad they are looking at other items as well. Everyone has their right to their opinion so this is mine. Good discussion post. Have a great night and good luck this season.

How about rotating a few units yearly for scoped Muzzy hunts.
That way some of the older guys (60 years and above) with bad eyes can just put in for those units it shouldn't impact the herds in those units to much.

Good input thank you.

#2 less hunters afield.

Just because someone else is doing something doesn't always mean we should also ?

I have no idea what makes the Remington Ultimate and such different from my CVA accura? If I had to find middle ground for myself that's where I would start.

I chose to begin muzzleloader hunting the year before multi-power scopes were allowed (rifle hunter all of my life). I did so strictly for opportunity sake. I've always set my limit to 150 yards or less both prior and post scopes. I've passed some of the biggest bucks I've come across hunting, which fell under that 150 yard mark, with a scoped muzzleloader. I did not take the shots because I did not feel comfortable. My sample size is small for pre scopes, but my harvest success is actually lower for post scopes.

I know you said rifles have yet to be discussed, and I know muzzleloaders are the weapon that we've seen the biggest "advances" recently. However, I find it interesting that it's likely the one weapon that will see any changes. Like it's the solution to everything.

We've banned trail cameras, scopes gone with muzzleloaders seems to be a forgone conclusion. Are we going to re-evaluate in one year or five years after these changes to see if there was a positive outcome? If no, then what?

Animals are cyclic, and I believe it was either 2017 or '18 when things were looking mighty good with mule deer. Unfortunately all we've seen since is major drought.

Just because someone else is doing something doesn't always mean we should also ?

I have no idea what makes the Remington Ultimate and such different from my CVA accura? If I had to find middle ground for myself that's where I would start.

I chose to begin muzzleloader hunting the year before multi-power scopes were allowed (rifle hunter all of my life). I did so strictly for opportunity sake. I've always set my limit to 150 yards or less both prior and post scopes. I've passed some of the biggest bucks I've come across hunting, which fell under that 150 yard mark, with a scoped muzzleloader. I did not take the shots because I did not feel comfortable. My sample size is small for pre scopes, but my harvest success is actually lower for post scopes.

I know you said rifles have yet to be discussed, and I know muzzleloaders are the weapon that we've seen the biggest "advances" recently. However, I find it interesting that it's likely the one weapon that will see any changes. Like it's the solution to everything.

We've banned trail cameras, scopes gone with muzzleloaders seems to be a forgone conclusion. Are we going to re-evaluate in one year or five years after these changes to see if there was a positive outcome? If no, then what?

Animals are cyclic, and I believe it was either 2017 or '18 when things were looking mighty good with mule deer. Unfortunately all we've seen since is major drought.
Too many are overthinking this and have assumed the DWR is looking for a "fix all" out of one entity.
We're most definitely not that naive.

The measurable impact of going back to 1x will produce the same data results as it did by allowing them, which is exactly why the committee isn't basing the proposal off the model to begin with.

It is common knowledge that we have turned the muzzleloader hunt into a single shot rifle hunt, with multiple committee members even sharing their own ridiculously long kill stories.

If 3 out of 15 are doing it, how many out of 1000 are?
And obviously not all 15 are muzzleloader hunters, therefore it's much higher than 3/15.

Our little "model" in that room were convinced it's far too many and needs to be re-evaluated and passed upline to the WB for final decisions.

How about rotating a few units yearly for scoped Muzzy hunts.
That way some of the older guys (60 years and above) with bad eyes can just put in for those units it shouldn't impact the herds in those units to much.
This committee was put together to for technology only.

Poor eyesight has been discussed and may possibly be eligible for COR exemption after the WB finalizes the proposals.

Some states don't even have a muzzleloader season. Look how many problems are avoided. I bet only about 1 out of 50 muzzy hunters actually choose that hunt because they love dressing up like Daniel Boone and shooting a big, heavy, long, inaccurate weapon. The rest do it for other advantages as stated above and would not participate without access to modern advances in sights, propellant, projectiles, and rifles.

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Instead of limiting equipment, maybe we should require more. If you want to hunt the muzzy season, you MUST wear a coonskin cap, buckskin chaps, and carry a powder horn, bowie knife, and tomahawk at all times -------SS

Some states don't even have a muzzleloader season. Look how many problems are avoided. I bet only about 1 out of 50 muzzy hunters actually choose that hunt because they love dressing up like Daniel Boone and shooting a big, heavy, long, inaccurate weapon. The rest do it for other advantages as stated above and would not participate without access to modern advances in sights, propellant, projectiles, and rifles.Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Instead of limiting equipment, maybe we should require more. If you want to hunt the muzzy season, you MUST wear a coonskin cap, buckskin chaps, and carry a powder horn, bowie knife, and tomahawk at all times -------SS

They're called leggings, not chaps.

Mountain Man Pants (Leggins)

This committee was put together to for technology only.

Poor eyesight has been discussed and may possibly be eligible for COR exemption after the WB finalizes the proposals.
How would this COR exemption be enforced?
How would other hunters know if a person that is hunting with a scoped muzzleloader has the exemption or not?
Sounds to meet like the exemption would be ripe for abuse.
I believe if we’re going to ban scopes on muzzleloaders we should ban all scopes even 1x. That way there would be no confusion as to who is obeying the rules or not!

How Bout The QUICK RELEASE Mounts?

They Getting Banned Too?

How About Tahns Having So Much Money Wrapped Up In Their Guns They Pack Them in a Scabbard,Will Scabbards Be Banned So Other Hunters Can See If The Gun Has a Scope on it or not?

How would this COR exemption be enforced?
How would other hunters know if a person that is hunting with a scoped muzzleloader has the exemption or not?
Sounds to meet like the exemption would be ripe for abuse.
I believe if we’re going to ban scopes on muzzleloaders we should ban all scopes even 1x. That way there would be no confusion as to who is obeying the rules or not!
Same way a guy with a bow sees another guy with a crossbow who has a COR exemption.

The committee voted that the 1x scope would be the definitive distinction from modern and primitive.

Couple of very good points. Hopefully Slam reads your post and takes your suggestions to his committee!
Trust me when I say there are DWR personnel, board members and the like that watch and read these posts.
But yes, I take notes and sensible points and suggestions to the committee.

Too many are overthinking this and have assumed the DWR is looking for a "fix all" out of one entity.
We're most definitely not that naive.

The measurable impact of going back to 1x will produce the same data results as it did by allowing them, which is exactly why the committee isn't basing the proposal off the model to begin with.

It is common knowledge that we have turned the muzzleloader hunt into a single shot rifle hunt, with multiple committee members even sharing their own ridiculously long kill stories.

If 3 out of 15 are doing it, how many out of 1000 are?
And obviously not all 15 are muzzleloader hunters, therefore it's much higher than 3/15.

Our little "model" in that room were convinced it's far too many and needs to be re-evaluated and passed upline to the WB for final decisions.
If the data produces the same results why the hell change?

No, it’s not common knowledge- it’s an opinion not backed by data

This is an exercise of axe grinding; I find it laughable that folks looking at technology aren’t using data to drive decisions but instead are relying on opinion, use a unproven/validated model (3 out 15) to form conclusions and “this is what I think so this is how it should be”

The WB would have been better off giving this to the academic community (in Utah) to frame assumptions, analyze data, conduct regression analysis and develop a pareto front- then we might get something that makes sense (key word might) as it is they (WB) will be receiving recommendations based on emotions, opinions and chest pounding

If the data produces the same results why the hell change?

No, it’s not common knowledge- it’s an opinion not backed by data

This is an exercise of axe grinding; I find it laughable that folks looking at technology aren’t using data to drive decisions but instead are relying on opinion, use a unproven/validated model (3 out 15) to form conclusions and “this is what I think so this is how it should be”

The WB would have been better off giving this to the academic community (in Utah) to frame assumptions, analyze data, conduct regression analysis and develop a pareto front- then we might get something that makes sense (key word might) as it is they (WB) will be receiving recommendations based on emotions, opinions and chest pounding
Unfortunately, this is the sad truth and ultimately what happens behind closed doors. We witnessed the same move with trail cams and now we’ll take another one in the rear with muzzleloader optics.

I firmly believe Slam that there would be far more sportsman/hunters willing to swallow the recommended changes if it were backed up with data, evidence, proof whatever you wanna call it. But no, the committee feels it should propose knee jerk changes to the board. Slam grow a pair and tell the board that you recommend no changes until it’s backed by data, otherwise you and the rest of the committee are useful hand puppets to the WB and do not represent the majority of sportsman in this state. I’ve seen nothing but biased based opinions from this committee and others with decision making powers make very poor decisions. When will this stop?

Just wondering what you and the committee said about all the money and time folks put in when the scopes became legal. I can guarantee you that no one thought that some committee would come along and change it back. I have a hunch it went something like tuff sh** it was their choice.

Do you think a 4x, 6x or even a 3X9 scope a new technology?

Unfortunately, this is the sad truth and ultimately what happens behind closed doors. We witnessed the same move with trail cams and now we’ll take another one in the rear with muzzleloader optics.

I firmly believe Slam that there would be far more sportsman/hunters willing to swallow the recommended changes if it were backed up with data, evidence, proof whatever you wanna call it. But no, the committee feels it should propose knee jerk changes to the board. Slam grow a pair and tell the board that you recommend no changes until it’s backed by data, otherwise you and the rest of the committee are useful hand puppets to the WB and do not represent the majority of sportsman in this state. I’ve seen nothing but biased based opinions from this committee and others with decision making powers make very poor decisions. When will this stop?
Can you provide us the data showing that muzzleloader hunters aren't harvesting more trophy quality animals at ranges beyond beyond what the muzzleloader hunts were traditionally intended for?
The data doesn't show any dramatic increase of rifle kills either, but look at gadgets emerging in that world.
Why? Because it works.

When 3 committee members shared their personal stories of kills beyond 500yds out of a group where not even 30% were muzzleloader hunters, that was enough information based off facts that no available data can provide.
And no, one of the 3 was not me, as my personal longest kill was approximately 150.....but I know my particular set up is accurate to 300.

There should be zero doubt in anyone's mind that variable power scopes on a muzzleloader dramatically improve it's abilities.
Why else would people want one on there, including me and my 4x12 "tactical" turreted scope?

The mission statement of this movement isn't solely based off of data.

And maybe you shouldn't be damning the committee, we didn't start this movement, we were summoned by the WB because this emerging technology concern is happening whether anyone like it or not.
We aren't necessarily the Grim Reapers, we are also here to save and retain the majority of what we currently have while drawing a line in the sand that needs to be done.

Do you even think about anti hunting groups already attacking our world?
You should....

Can you provide us the data showing that muzzleloader hunters aren't harvesting more trophy quality animals at ranges beyond beyond what the muzzleloader hunts were traditionally intended for?
The data doesn't show any dramatic increase of rifle kills either, but look at gadgets emerging in that world.
Why? Because it works.

When 3 committee members shared their personal stories of kills beyond 500yds out of a group where not even 30% were muzzleloader hunters, that was enough information based off facts that no available data can provide.
And no, one of the 3 was not me, as my personal longest kill was approximately 150.....but I know my particular set up is accurate to 300.

There should be zero doubt in anyone's mind that variable power scopes on a muzzleloader dramatically improve it's abilities.
Why else would people want one on there, including me and my 4x12 "tactical" turreted scope?

And maybe you shouldn't be damning the committee, we didn't start this movement, we were summoned by the WB because this emerging technology concern is happening whether anyone like it or not.
We aren't necessarily the Grim Reapers, we are also here to save and retain the majority of what we currently have while drawing a line in the sand that needs to be done.

You should....

What was the selection process to be appointed to this committee?

Why? Because it works.

You should....
Can you supply us with data that show they are. Also please supply the data that shows if a few do get past the muzzleloader hunt because of your change how many of those will survive the rifle hunt.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom