Tent Stakes?...

Foreman4x4

Very Active Member
Anyone know where a guy could get some HEAVY DUTY metal tent stakes to hold down the side guy ropes of a wall tent? Maybe something made from rebar or similar material and 14" or so long? Tired of cheap aluminum and plastic!

Thanks for any info.

I bought 3/8" Diameter x 12" Long Galvanized Spike Nails from Home Depot, slid on a big flat washer. Makes a great tent stake or guy rope stake on my wall tent. Have used them for 6 years.

Went camping and ran into a guy from Price. He had a BIG wall tent and was using the top 15 or so inches of a roof bolts that had been sharpened. If they are made to hold up a coal mine roof they sure will work on a tent.

Another vote for the nails and washers.

Been using the same ones for over 30 years.....wish the tents/tarps lasted that long.

Many years in the sporting goods business and there is no better on the market.

I'm still looking for 12" or 14" Aluminum spikes,they are strong & way lighter for packing.
As said above,I did end up buying some 12" Galvanized spikes from Home Depot that will do for now.

Anybody know where you can buy the heavy duty Aluminum spikes/nails?

Pickup some 3/8 round or Square Aluminum stock cut them at a angle have a Aluminum welder weld a small"T" piece on the top.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Hey Foreman4X4, you better hurry our hunt is in less then a week and I don't want to worry for eleven days if the tent will be coming down in the middle of the night.

Just ribbing you. Never have had a problem in all the years we have used wall tents, but good question that we always think of when we put the tent up and forget/put off about the rest of the year!!!

Read post #1. Thats a great idea that I have used as well. I have been through some bad, terrible windstorms and they have worked great. Don't forget to get the washers as well..

I use galvenized nails and washers for the grommets along the bottom, but would like something a little bigger diameter and sturdier for the guy ropes.

Not much is gonna work better than those big steel stakes used for setting forms for concrete....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Get a few T-posts and cut them to 20" long, use 1 length of post in place of 2 stakes, meaning 2 ropes go to 1 length of post. works great.

NVMDF

try cheaperthandirt.com they had some old military tent stakes a month or so ago that were about 18" steel and looked real tough.

Or just buy 2 dodge trucks and park them on each side of the tent to tie off too. You can leave them up there no big deal. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I bought some heavy duty 20" stakes from our local porta potty supplier. They use them to stake down their porta potty's on the job sites. Got a pretty good deal on them.

They have a perfect 5" angle hook at the top for tying off to. My dad gets a kick out of them everytime he sees us break them out to put our tent up but after the last few hunts and seeing how well they work I think he might actually be making a trip to buy some new stakes... haha.

>Not much is gonna work better
>than those big steel stakes
>used for setting forms for
>concrete....

I think 'Snort nailed it. Concrete form stakes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom