Tenzing 4000 or Badlands 2200

Elkextreme

So I have narrowed it down to this 2 bags. Mostly doing one hunts, shed hunting, scouting, hikig / training with heavy sand bags. I need a bag with side pockets BATWINGS for tripods/ shooting sticks and spotting scopes this bags fit the bill. I also need some good pockets for organizing and durability. I've never owned either one of this packs. Yesterday I tried on both and they both feel good. Also to pack out meat if I bag out deep in the woods. I've done tons of research and still can't decide be nice if I can get both but wife said only one.
So I'm looking for opinions and past and present.
Thanks in advance.

I have 2200 fore sale if you want...It's used but in great condition... It's a great pack I just like my Horn Hunter better...

I have a tenzing 4000. It has been a good pack for the discounted price I bought it at. It has the ability to expand out for a bigger load or streamline down for daypacking. Personally, I would spend the extra $50 for the 6000 if you want to pack animals out with it and it gives you the opportunity to go multi nites in the backcountry as well but still compacts down to day hunt.

Don't know to much about the tensing but the 2200 is over rated. its great for packing meat but the bat wings and back door opening is a something you won't use. i would go with a exo or any pack from kuiu. Badlands needs to step it up when it comes to packs!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-18 AT 08:17PM (MST)[p]http://www.mysteryranch.com/cabinet-pack

You will not regret it!

As you see, you will get a ton of different opinions. So I'll add one more. I have had a 2200 for about 5 or 6 years. I love it.

>Cali, are your zippers still working
>on your 2200?

I'm sure they do not considering he loves it....

So I tried the tenzing a few years back. Loved the design. I felt they really thought out the organization of the pack. It packed game well, tripod, spotter etc. Although my issue I had was first hunt I did in extreme cold like teens or lower I had 4 zippers break. ? lucky I was still in the 90 day return policy at sportsman. If that got resolved I'd highly recommend it. Otherwise no go

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-18 AT 01:09PM (MST)[p]I have had a 2200 for what seams like 10 years, packed a number of deer/elk/moose quarters with it and I have used it as my primary pack since I bought it. I wouldn't buy it again, but boy it has done a good job for the price.

Things that need fixed:

1. Bat wing zippers and the size of the bat wing pockets. I have about 0.5 one working now, but haven't even used them much because of their size. good for a skinny water bottle.
2. I have had half a mule deer (with head) and my spotting scope and rifle and rain gear and 1st aid stuff and it was pretty uncomfortable for that uphill mile hike. I guess it was just too much load or too bulky. I took a moose hind quarter out with no problem whatsover.
3. the weight, it is a bit heavy.

Things I really like:

1. The built-in system to carry quarters that is orange.
2. The zipper on the outside to enter into the main part of the pack behind your back as well as the small internal mesh pocket in the same spot.
3. The way you can get your gun attached snugglly and protect the scope. I like the bat wings for that!

I haven't started seriously looking, because I know I will buy something if I do. Kind of hoping the 2200 I have falls apart somehow or I throw it off a cliff.

I would go bigger so it is easier to go for a few nights. I can in the 2200, but I have gear/tents/sleeping rest attached in the back. I would also go lighter, and more compact.

That may seem counter intuitive, but I am sure if you pay for it you can go bigger, more compact and lighter!

I have been staring at this Pop-Up 28 for a bit as a daypack you can haul a decent load with:
http://www.mysteryranch.com/pop-up-28-pack

I really like the horn hunter full curl. With all the different modification options I can comfortably and securely pack anything I've thrown at it. I can break it down to use as a lighter pack or I can throw on the mod bags load anything my body can handle. I had a few badlands prior, they were decent but don't compare to the horn hunter.

All the zippers on mine are still working fine. I like the fact that they have a lifetime warranty. Badlands has treated me very fair. This is off subject, but still the same company. I sent in a badlands bino harness that I had for several years. The only thing wrong was the material around the magnetic case cover was wearing a little. I expected to get it back with some new material sewn in, but they sent me a completely new case. The 2200 I have is just the right size for me. I've packed several deer and an antelope out with it. Not the whole animal of course, but all I would want to carry. I can get everything in it I need as far as gear and have filled it up with all the weight I would want to carry at a time.

>I really like the horn hunter
>full curl. With all the
>different modification options I can
>comfortably and securely pack anything
>I've thrown at it. I
>can break it down to
>use as a lighter pack
>or I can throw on
>the mod bags load anything
>my body can handle. I
>had a few badlands prior,
>they were decent but don't
>compare to the horn hunter.
>

X2

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2018/48387ae610c342cae4f10b91c55baa1f6c543.jpeg
I totally agree on the Horn Hunter as to modifying it for light hunts to loading for several days... here is an example of throwing anything at it...

I have owned a badlands 2200 for the past six or seven years. I use it for extended day trips and have been very happy with it. When scouting the desert during the summer months I will carry 2 gallons of water/gatoraide, spotter and compact stand, some food, and still have room for light clothing. The materials have held up very well and I have had no problems with the zippers. That said, I cannot imagine packing much game with it.

My only complaint is with the badlands customer service. I own several badlands packs, and while they have replaced the occasional fastex snaps that I have broken, I have, more often than not, wound up speaking to an answering machine when I have called for assistance. Once I finally do succeed in getting through to a "real live person," they are quick to get the parts coming my way.

In all, I am happy with the product, but have not experience with the other manufacturers to provide a meaningful comparison.

I have had my Badlands 2200 since 2013, and I like it. This fall I noticed that a connection seam was starting to come apart in a very small place, so after the hunts I took it in to their store in West Jordan and I had it back in 2 days, sewn up with reinforcements at that spot.

I will not say that it's the best pack out there, as I have not tried many of them out, but it has worked well for me thus far. I think where it really shines is when you have an animal down and it is time to get it back to the truck. It is much better in that department than the packs others I hunt with own. It's not a frame pack, but as good as a non-frame pack can be for that, in my opinion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom