Thanks again Wyoming (moose)

Zeke

Long Time Member
I'm appreciative of the fact that I was able to spend 11 days in moose country this year and many factors played into my ultimate success.
First and foremost I want to thank the great State of Wyoming and the Game & Fish for allowing me the opportunity to enjoy this adventure!
Next I want to thank 30Hart (BV) for being such a good friend and a fountain of information. Few people in this world can, or ever will, do the research that he does. He was crutial to my success! Thanks Brad!
Last, but not least, I want to thank my brother, Kurt, who was there every step of the way on this outing as well as countless other over these many many years!

OK, that's out of the way... lets see some photos!

8799dscn1951.jpg

2740dscn1952.jpg

Beautiful country... when you can see it!
4007dscn1858.jpg

The "thunder-ponies" were sidelinded in the fog
2009dscn1847.jpg

Home sweet home
5213dscn1848.jpg

Here's the girls, now where are the boys?
5650dscn1824.jpg

More pretty stuff
1106dscn1827.jpg

I was under 45 yards from 4 different bulls. Made a long stalk on a better bull but I needed a closer look at him and never got it. He gave me the slip in the thick stuff!

Finally on my 3rd trip to the unit I got my chance.

As we were working our way up the head of a drainage. We would stop, call, listen and then move on.
On about our 4th stop my brother said he heard hooves clunking up on the pine ridge above us. We continued to call and then came the confirmation we were hoping for... a bull grunt.
He continued grunting as he headed off the ridge.... and toward us! We knew he was coming but had yet to see him. It took less than a minute for him to arrive! There he was, standing behind a pine and me at full draw (wondering how long I could hold the string back). This actually gave me time to assess the rack and confirmed that it was a shooter bull for sure.
After what seemed like an hour, but was actually about 15 seconds, the bull turned to our left and gave me a shot just before he re-entered the pines, AT 15 YARDS!
I turned to my brother and asked "was that good enough?". I don't remember if I was referring to the rack or the shot.
Since I could still hear the bull breaking branches and knocking down trees, I told my brother we were going to follow the sound (not SOP or proper form). After less than 60 yards I could see something waving in the trees. I used my binos to discover it was the bull's front hoof waiving it's last.
The bull was down and out! "Oh! WOW! How quickly thing change", was the only thing I could say as I cautiously approached my bull.

Through all the ups and downs, here's my 2014 Wyoming archery bull moose:
5560dscn1861.jpg

1960dscn1926.jpg

1169dscn1915.jpg

5070rscn1936.jpg

8529rscn1959.jpg

I'm smiling here because the beast is all loaded on the quads, finally, and we're ready for our low-speed trip to camp. We got in bed at 2am! It was a big day.
9854rscn1942.jpg

Thanks for looking and sharing in my geat adventure!
Zeke

Good job and congrats's on a nice bull with a bow! yea 30 hart is a good guy and is not selfish about giving out good hunting info.

Congrads on a great Wyo trophy bull, you did great. that is a bull anyone would be happy with no matter what weapon is used. Wyo was good for you this year.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

First, congrats on a monster moose...you definitely put in the time and earned it!!! Second, thanks for the kind words, you are most welcome!!!

You know what I suggest is stay away from this state.. your taking all the big boys down.

kidding aside congrats on that beast!!

Awesome Zeke!! You deserve to be one happy camper!!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

What a great year Zeke! Thanks for posting up the pics. I had seen one pic on 30Hart's phone and was dying to see more.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-14 AT 10:29AM (MST)[p]Duke! That is a heck of a bull! You are my hero! Wish you could have held out one more week, but then I couldn't have had to you guide me on my trophy cow elk hunt! (thanks again)

I have to ask, whats with the brown carpet??? you probably don't even let people wear their boots in your tent!

Thanks to you all for the nice comments about my adventure! It's been my pleasure to share with you.
The older I get, the more I realize that a high degree of S.H. Luck comes into play on every successful hunt. Yes, we must do our part and hunt hard and smart but luck certainly plays a role. I count myself among the lucky.

Yat,
No, anyone is welcome to wear their boots in my hunting tent. I do it so my feet stay warm. After all, it's not the Taj Ma-freakin-hal! Get your heater fixed! Ha

Thanks again everyone,
Zeke

Thanks guys for all the nice comments!
A couple more weeks and I'll be able to post the official B&C and P&Y score.
Great adventure regardless of what the tape says!
Zeke

Thanks again for the nice comments, guys. And thanks for sharing in my adventure.

For you numbers guys:
My moose officially scored 146 2/8' gross, 141 6/8" net, placing him in the P&Y book and B&C awards.

A BIG shout again to Wyoming for affording me the opportunity to hunt!

Zeke

Glad this got brought back up to the top because I was gone for so long I missed it completely when I got back. That is one heck of a nice Shiras---Congrats buddy!!!

You put in the time needed to harvest a great bull...well-deserved!!! Congrats on the record book entries!!!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom