Thanks DWR

• Thread starter whiskyshooter77
  • Start date
W

whiskyshooter77

Way to go DWR... Guess you figured out you screwed the pooch with the 9 day hunt in 2009! I believe that the 5 day hunt is the way to go. I also think its pretty cool that the youth get to hunt a little longer, giving them more of a chance to harvest a decent buck. Lets all hope that the short rifle hunt will continue. 9 days is just too long here in southern Utah. All the deer from a large area end up in a super small area with very limited cover by the 2nd weekend of the 9 day hunt. So thanks again to the DWR for getting us back to the 5 day (bigger buck growing) hunt!

+1 MUZZ.....it will not go the way they think it will..I hope I am wrong. without the 2nd weekend I think there will be alot more small bucks killed...

It could be a good thing in a couple of years or it could be really bad this year.

Thanks "DWR"? The DWR recommended that there be a 9 day hunt with no age restrictions, the SFW recommended to the wildlife board that their be a 5 day hunt, and since the idiots on the board think that whatever the SFW says is automatically true, they went with it. I know of 3 different studies that have shown more deer are killed on a 5 day hunt than a 9 day hunt, and where do you think all the people that hunt on the 3 day units are going to go? the closest 5 day place. This state really needs to look at getting new board members that can think for themselves

>Thanks "DWR"? The DWR recommended that
>there be a 9 day
>hunt with no age restrictions,
>the SFW recommended to the
>wildlife board that their be
>a 5 day hunt, and
>since the idiots on the
>board think that whatever the
>SFW says is automatically true,
>they went with it. I
>know of 3 different studies
>that have shown more deer
>are killed on a 5
>day hunt than a 9
>day hunt, and where do
>you think all the people
>that hunt on the 3
>day units are going to
>go? the closest 5 day
>place. This state really needs
>to look at getting new
>board members that can think
>for themselves

Hopper
lets see these "3 different studies". Got any links, reports, articles? Would like to see what studies have been done.

Thanks
oakbrush

>>Thanks "DWR"? The DWR recommended that
>>there be a 9 day
>>hunt with no age restrictions,
>>the SFW recommended to the
>>wildlife board that their be
>>a 5 day hunt, and
>>since the idiots on the
>>board think that whatever the
>>SFW says is automatically true,
>>they went with it. I
>>know of 3 different studies
>>that have shown more deer
>>are killed on a 5
>>day hunt than a 9
>>day hunt, and where do
>>you think all the people
>>that hunt on the 3
>>day units are going to
>>go? the closest 5 day
>>place. This state really needs
>>to look at getting new
>>board members that can think
>>for themselves
>
>Hopper
>lets see these "3 different studies".
>Got any links, reports, articles?
>Would like to see what
>studies have been done.
>
>Thanks
>oakbrush

The 5 day hunt in the southeast made the bucks huge and they blackened the sky there were so many of them, oh yeah, the S.E. has only 3 bucks in the whole unit so I guess we should have a 1 day hunt. Southeast hunters would see as many big bucks in one day as in 9, none.

Well, myself and most all I know have witnessed the return of larger bucks in the Southern zone due to the five day hunt. It takes a while but the results speaks for itself. Where we hunt, the elk population is very minimal if not non-exixtant. I hunted the Southeast in the 60's and 70's. No elk were even seen in the 60's, a limited few in the 70's. There are a lot of inforcement problems over in that area, and along with all the elk, the deer have taken a back seat.

Arrowone4me,
I would guess from your name you are an Archery hunter. I don't see you giving up any of your 28 days to hunt. If it is such a great management tool you should be all for shortening all the seasons and not just the rifle hunt. I would argue that the 8 straight "good" winters, numerous habitat restoration projects, and the coyote bounty have had more impact on the deer herds than the 5 day rifle hunt.

Never hunted archery back then and rarely do now. I personally wouldn't mind a shorter season for archery either. I was just stating my observations. All that I know that live around here are seeing more bucks, and larger bucks now than then. Sure, we can go back to the nine day every year and look forward to seeing a huge 1 1/2 year old monarch. Pretty hard to have a lot of winter kill in the desert areas where these deer migrate to. Don't recall getting a lot of snow out towards Mesquite, NV. It's just a different situation down south.

arrowone4me I am with you on the return of big bucks in the southern region, the last 2 years were really good as far as bucks go in the south. Look people, I know everyone says that more small bucks get taken durring a 5 day vs a 9 day, but arent most of those 2pts and spikes getting killed either from or near a road? I would say anybody that shoots 2pt and spikes is trigger happy enough to kill one on a 5day or a 9 day I wouldnt really matter! Yes I am a trophy hunter, I will only kill a deer if its big enough for my wall, but that dosent mean all the 14-15 yr old kids got to be! Let'm kill some deer we have to pass on this sport to our kids and their kids, before they all become indoctorinated by the radical left and become granola crunching tree huggers! I say THANK YOU DWR, I like the return of the 5 day hunt and yes I agree with letting the youth hunt for 9 days.
By the way, I am also for a 14 day archery hunt! this 28 day crap has got to go! And yes I hunt archery every single year, as well as the other seasons, I am in the dedicated hunter program.

Highpeak, what do you have against granola and huggin trees??

I love granola........and have hugged a tree or two while a bull was coming to my cow calls.

Other than that I agree with you.

IMO the 5 day hunt has less to do with the increase of bigger bucks down south. As was stated previous Habitat improvement and the drought ending improved fawn production dramatically. More deer means more bucks to reach maturity. On 5 day hunt units hunters spend more time in the field than on 9 day hunts. They also scout harder knowing that they have fewer days to hunt. Any biologist will tell you that improving habitat and ample moisture for growing forage will have a much bigger impact on the health of a deer herd than a few days difference in hunting season length.

Everytime I read an article about deer hunting in utah, they keep saying we have less habitat than we ever have and that we loose more every day........so although I agree with the biologists, I think it is foolish to think that shorter hunting seasons won't decrease buck harvest numbers....Everyone can't spend more time in the mountains and everyone can't spend more time scouting....especially in the southern unit. It is too far to drive.
As for the archery hunt, they are not taking days away, because they want more people to hunt then. Lower success rates= increased buck survival rates. It is all statistics.

I respect your opinion carbonnation but it is not foolish to think shorter seasons lead to reduced deer harvest. If you look at harvest success rates there is not a significant difference between 5 days and 9 days in regards to total bucks harvested. I have hunted southern utah for 40 plus years and have seen 3 point or better, 5day hunts, 11 day hunts, and 9 day hunts as management tools used by DWR. IMO predator control and range improvements coupled with ample moisture are far more important factors than length of rifle hunting in regards to number of mature bucks available. Hey montana lets you hunt for 6 weeks and during the rut with a gun and it does not seem to affect the overall quality of bucks harvested in the long term. just my .02$

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom