Thanks

WITUfan

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-15 AT 01:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-15 AT 01:49?PM (MST)

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who gave me information and guidance on elk unit 24. I know I probably asked some dumb questions, but I had a steep learning curve. Consistently, I was told elk are all over the unit and can be found from the top of the mountain out into the sage. We found that to be true.

We arrived a few days before the rifle season opened and spent our time figuring out the lay of the unit and glassing for elk early and late. On opening day, we went to where we had seen a huge herd of elk the evening before. All the local folks we talked to said the bugling had really just gotten started and on opening morning they did not disappoint. We could hear 4 or 5 different bulls bugling from our location. We were in between two bulls that were screaming. In the process of trying to move toward one of the bulls, we saw a spike and a 4x4. Dad is the ultimate meat hunter and in spite of what several of you told me about looking for a good 5x5 or 6x6, a legal bull at 75 yards wasn't something my old man was going to let walk off. He took the 4x4. We spent most of the rest of the day butchering and packing the bull to the road.

On day 2, I was once again near 2 bulls, but couldn't catch up to either one of them. I did see one of them cross the ridge ahead of me. On day 3, fog had rolled in on the mountain. There were again 2 bulls below us bugling like mad. I was really concerned we would pass in the fog as I worked my way down the ridge and they worked their way up. Ultimately, I got really close to one bull and was a few hundred yards above the second one. I was sneaking around a pine to try and get a look at the closest bull when a third bull bugled to my left. He stepped out in the flat at about 80 yards. I knew he wasn't the herd bull but he wasn't much smaller and he was plenty big for me. I took the shot and he went down. He is technically a 6x6 but the last tine on one side is really short so it really looks like a 5x6. I am thrilled.

Thanks again to everyone who provided input and assistance. I wish everyone the best on your various hunts this fall.

3852dscf0046.jpg

What a great hunt! Congrats to you and your dad. With two in two days, did you stay a few more just to enjoy the country?

Well Done!
I'm happy for your dad! He sounds like my dad, who killed his last elk at age 76, a cow, but he was sure happy!
Thanks for posting!

CONGRATS, AND THANKS FOR THE STORY !!!! GLAD TO SEE YOUR DAD DO WELL, SOUNDS LIKE HE IS A HAPPY HUNTER................YD.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom