That time again

predator

Very Active Member
Okay all you MM campfire vets, it's that time again. Yessir, the air is a changin', the hunts are upon us. You know me, I'm all about the aethetic parts of the hunt. So it's time once again to play........"hunting is"

Hunting is-
The smell of crushing wet sage underfoot on the way to your treestand

Trying to unweave the starry fabric of the Milky Way you forgot was there

Staggering into camp and numbly spooning Dinty Moore beef stew into a mouth stuck open with fatigue and believing it's the best meal you've ever had

Your turn!!

Hunting is...

Getting out of the truck, loading your backpack, and taking that first step out, in the dark, and just knowing, today is gonna be a good day, cause your outthere.

Kirby

watching two fawns play king of the hill
When in doubt, floor it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you find a big stick.

The smell of sage and cedar.
First tracks in crunchy snow on a crisp morning.
The glimmer of antler through the brush.
A spine tingling bugle at daybreak.....................

next....

Mike
at235.gif

HELLO Pred

FINDING THE SMELL OF THAT GAZEBO OUT IN THE WILD KNOWING DANG WELL YOUR 200 MILES FROM THE NEAREST HOME DEPOT!!!

HOW YOU BEEN ANYWAY???

ARE YOU GOING TO THE MDF BANQUET OUT THIS WAY???

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING HOW MUCH DAMAGE Pred WILL DO IN THE FIELD THIS YEAR???

The smells that soothe the senses.....like waking in the morning to the fresh smell of sage lighty frosted from the morning chill. Or the smell of aspen leaves as they turn color, omitting their musky like fragrance.....the sharp pungent smell of blue spruce......and the overpowering aroma of lupine blanketing a high mountain ridge. That's what this ol' BOHNTR longs for...

BOHNTR )))---------->

How about being on that north facing slope where the air is cool and damp and the smell of Elk is wafting on the gentle breeze. All of a sudden you see movement through the trees, a cow and a calf looking in your direction. Then the herd bull chuckles and grunts from 30 yds all of a sudden you couldn't be more alive. Ya gotta love this time of year.

Hunting is..

The slight burn in your nostrils from the freezing dawn air.

The feeling of cold steel through your mittens from your rifle.

The slight smile on your face from knowing it's finally here!

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

The ancipitation of getting hooked up with Preditor to know what she knows about what I need to know about knowing more about the unit that I know will produce a great bull.

Hunting is The Camaraderie associated with the campfire and stories of past and present of years to come to share with others.

Rut

Hunting is-

The feel of a midday sun wrapped in a blanket of pine scent just before you doze off

The distinctive 'knock' of hoof on downed timber

The singsong game that chickadees play

The way your blood boils when that dang squirrel tattles to the world you are there

*inhale* Yep, it's that time again......

Hunting is...
The smell of Madrone and Pepperwood mixed with WD40 as you ever so quietly chamber a round in the pre-dawn darkness.

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-05 AT 06:41PM (MST)[p]The smell of a fresh lit match to light the lantern after a tough but successful day of hunting.

Hunting is-

The sound of "Coast to Coast with Art Bell" at 2:00AM because you're too excited to sleep.

The hiss of the propane stove while making a pot of coffee that smells better than it ever has before.

The taste of Fresh Liver and Onions at days end.
Knowing no liver is like that of Venison.

Feeling the heat of the sun opening morning when darkness turns to daylight.

Large Buck tracks in the first fresh snow after a long dry summer.

When your heart races at the sound of the first elk bugle u hear during season.

Knowing what to say when hunting with your kids and your child of 8 years old asks how come you missed daddy??? And u reply that is ok we need a couple for seed. Damn gun anyway!!!

The satisfaction of just knowing one day Moosie will understand.

The smell of cleansed air. The sound of your own thoughts and your hart pounding at the same time. The feeling of being free. closer to god and good frends.

Hunting is...

Leaving camp at 0400, unlacing your boots and removing your socks to wade a decent size creek with the boots hanging around your neck. Can water really be that cold without freezing?

Walking in the dark the 1200 vertical to the treestand, bow in hand, wondering if that bear will be in the berry patch next to the game trail again, remembering yesterday morning watching his eyes reflecting in your headlamp at 15 feet.

Beanman

THE SMELL OF A STINKY,RUTTY BULL!!!

BLOOD & GUTS ALL OVER MY CLOTHES!!!

THE STINK OF THAT STINKY BULL ALL OVER ME!!!

ONLY TO FIND OUT ITS THE BULL THAT rut SHOT CLEAR DOWN IN THE NASTIEST CANYON GOD EVER BUILT & MADE ME GUT,CUT & PACK OUT!!!

MAN THAT SURE SMELLS GOOD!!!

THE ONLY bobcat SMELLING IT IN MY DREAMS!!!

Gettin up early-
Puttin some clothes on-
Taken a Kody Bear Dip-
Headin out-
Comin back cause I have to sh!t from the dip-
Headin out-

Thats what it's all about!

muleyman

My eyebrows trying to open my tired eyes
on the third morning of the hunt.

The test I give my body to figure if I've aged.
So far I age every year. Gets tougher to traverse
God's country as easily as before.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Hunting is Just the the thought of the gag asociated with the blood and gut pile of a ronchy old bull shot in a hell hole. Only real men and preditor can do this.

Having to pack a bull out of a hell hole.

Convincing great people it is ok to gut and pack out your kill.

Gutting a bull with out getting blood on you. (MY weak stomach) I can taste it now. I can do this. But please dont make me.

Hunting is like rimrock338 would say counting steaks before you shoot.

The wait around the campfire while the dutch oven cooks.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-05 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p]Hunting is
"the smell of vomit at 6:30 am as your trying to field dress an elk but can't because your too damn hungover"

or

"peeking your head out of your sleeping bag first thing in the morning and getting that fresh aroma of 4 different "brands" mixed together in the tent due to the previous nights' chili dinner" mmmmmmmm....

this is my dad

"can't find a tree to sit on so you have to squat, then realize your knees are too weak and bad to stand back up, so you kind of roll over and try not to fall in it, just to get back up"...

BTW, muleyman, your kodiak dip reminded me of 2 years ago.
I was heading up the trail early one morning, had some coffee, then as soo as I took a dip. It hit me... fast.. I barely had time to get my gun belt off and my pants down, and on top of that I was only able to get about 10 feet off of the trail.. Of course I had not seen anyone for 3 hours but as soon as I was halfway through this ordeal, here comes 2 guys on horses. I couldn't believe it.

Here is one of my favorites on a serious note,

Laying in a nice warm meadow around lunch time and having the camp robbers jumping up on your chest to take that little piece of bread you have been throwing out to them.

Howdy,

Hunting is:
Finally getting to use all that "shape" I've been getting myself into...

The sweet smell of purple sage, and mountain mohagany mixed with a cool due, during the first light of the day.

The collection of pictures that inevitably comes to my classroom from the successful students. I even get photos from un-successful students sometimes!

Best to all of you out there.

Coach

Its the smug feeling you get when you have finally figured out where the elk are and what they are doing and know exactly what you must do to have an opportunity. Hopefully you still have one more day plus the time you need to get him out. Kinda like you felt in school the night before the exam when it came to you crystal clear how to solve the problem, except now its gonna be fun!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom