The Beatings Will Continue...

Squirrel

until morale improves!

So Topaz has brought me a bunch in "to hand" but when he only stands over them and wags his tail telling me to come pick them up, how many times, or for how long should I beat him to teach him to bring them to hand??? I've been picking up the antler and chasing him around with it + hitting him with it for 100 yards or 10 good whacks or until I start wheezing... whichever comes first.

Any advise as it hasn't worked?? I think I need to beat him with antlers in the house where he can't get away as easy and where I won't get as winded.

Also in whose totals do "his" horns end up?? I've been told that I can no longer count "his" as "mine" even though he makes me carry "his" home on "my" back?? What does the rules committee say about this? It may be a coincidence but the people who say I cannot count his do not have horn-finding-dogs.

It is all very confusing and complicated and makes me just want to go for a walk but I cannot as it is a flippin' blizzard outside...

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5117.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

Here are the best 3 singles from "our" pile- I aint sayin' who found which so as to keep my options open! 72,80,87"

IMG_5118.jpg

Here is the track record of the 87 for the last years, @201.5 and 199.75
IMG_4345.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-13 AT 07:25PM (MST)[p]Do I understand correctly that you want to train your dog to bring you antlers by beating the dog with an antler? Did someone tell you this was an effective training method? Well I never trained a dog to find antlers but I've trained many dogs to find lions and bears and I never beat them with a dead cat to motivate them. Just sayin. Sounds counter productive. If it were me I would make it fun and rewarding for the dog.

Squirrel, sweet sets...beating the dog really! lol
I am sure you love him too much to do that, hey if he is not preforming like you want I'd be willing to go shedding with ya and bring along my antler sniffer-Yogi he is getting good at finding and bringing to hand.
Hope all this wind stops it is causing me to go crazy trying to get to the mountains.
Nice finds though.

LMAO!!! Some guys just don't get it do they???

Looks like you are having better success with your dog than I am. My son and I had his lab along today. She didn't find a single tine. Damn dog. ;)

get down on all 4's, pick that shed up with your teeth and walk it around for a while showing him how it's done. Works every time!

Wow! Most of you guys on here are way too serious. You really think a guy is going to beat his dog because it doesnt bring him sheds? Really? Use a little common sense. Nice finds squirrel. Haha

squirrel if your dog finds sheds does it make it easier for you to pick up his poos off your carpet or does he get another beat down? lol

who farted?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom