The best elk unit!!

shedcrazy

Very Active Member
What, in y'alls opinion, is the best elk unit in Colorado for trophy class bulls. Preference points included. I have some ideas but would like to compare notes.

Shedcrazy

I'd say unit 2 or 201
I've been in unit 10 the biggest bull I saw would go
maybe 320-330 I see those on public OTC units.
I'm not going to burn my points on unit 10!!!

>I'd say unit 2 or 201
>
>I've been in unit 10 the
>biggest bull I saw would
>go
>maybe 320-330 I see those on
>public OTC units.
>I'm not going to burn my
>points on unit 10!!!

You clearly don't know enough about unit 10. I see bulls that are consistenly 350+ in unit 10. My day drew unit 2 last year and in my oppinion it is the best because it is a large unit and has alot of public land. We ended up seeing many bulls in the 350+ but my dad ended up taking a 330 class bull on the 2nd to last day of season. 201 is overrated in my oppinion. It holds good bulls but its rough country and there are not as many elk as 2.

I looked Unit 10 up on the CDOW online Unit Map just to get an idea of where it is. From the relief shown on that map, it looks very flat (relatively speaking). Are the elk in this unit isolated in the more hilly areas, or are they throughout the unit? Hope someone can answer.

Thanks
Mark

Elk are all over this unit but to some point the highest concentrations of elk are in certain areas. The are looks alot like that of Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, and Arizona, lots of pinion, juniper and sage but also pines and aspens. I have found the best are for finding elk is from Dinosaur to the utah line. hint stunts ridge

What's the word on Unit 61. It gets a lot of good press. Is anyone familiar with it?

hookncook,
I'll try again. When you log in you should see a little flag at the top of the forum list that says you have a message, then click on "inbox" to check it. (Just in case you hven't tried that before.)

2, 10, 61, 76 & 201 would be good choices. It'll take a lot of points to draw.

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

I also would say 140. I have archery hunted the James John SWA in the years that I don't draw a muzz tag. I have seen one bull that would push the 350 mark and several others in the 300 to 320 range. The Crazy French borders part of James John and they have taken at least 1 bull that I know of that grossed over 400 3 years ago. In Sugarite Park in New Mexico they always take elk in the 300 range and a few 350 bulls over the years. I bear hunt in 61 and have seen only 1 bull that would go over 300. I do know they took a 386 bull muzz in 61 a few years back.

I see you did well in 61, how many points and what season did you hunt. Are the bulls you are seeing over 350 on private? I have talked to a couple of outfitters and they say a bull over 340 is hard to come by. Any secrets on areas you would share? I can give you my email if you dont want them posted,

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom