The curse of the Antelope Super Tag

R

ranger91298

Hey fellow MonsterMuleys board members. I heard of the website and while ago and have often visited, but never joined previously. I was drawn for one of the Antelope Super Tags for Idaho, from which I have been reading on this site is "a curse." I am an Idaho resident (Coeur d'Alene) but joined the Army right out of High School. I am stationed in Hawaii, but have hunted Idaho every year since my last deployment; 2009-present. I have been very fortunate every year to shoot a decent animal as I work hard to get the opportunities. I am currently looking at hunting unit 54 after I fly in to Boise on October 7th. I have talked to the Fish & Game office who has also pointed me in that direction. However, due to my limited time for leave I will not have the time to scout for a decent buck. It is a long shot but I thought I would come on here to ask if anyone could point me in the direction where they might know where a decent buck is. I shot five Wyoming Antelope (1 x Buck, 4 x Doe) in 2010. I am hoping to find a buck around 15+ if possible. If I am able to get one soon enough I will also look at hunting Mulies afterwards. There is something I just love about hunting them. I was looking at the area North of Mountain Home or Idaho City. After looking at the IDFG website, area 43 seems to have the best success out of the state, with lots of hunting pressure of course. Thank you for any assistance. Scott

Sorry but there are no gimme hunts for Antelope in Idaho, and since you are coming in after the opener, the bucks will all be on edge.

I would focus on the open units around Mountain Home. Be careful in unit 39 due to Private Land. Good Luck.

Scott, thanks for your service. I will be hunting 47 starting sept 25 for muzzleloader antelope (right next to 54). If I get a chance I will glass 54 for you and let you know what I find. If you decide to use your tag in other areas, I can help you get a decent buck in 52 or 40.

Yeah I have heard that later in the season is a little tougher. I hope the Antelope are like hunting in Wyoming, where the run a ridge or two away and then settle down. If not, my .243 can reach out a good distance. I was actually looking at 39 at first, but it is just too far to drive. I have ordered the onXmaps for my Garmin to help with the private/public identification for the area. Thank you for your advice. If I am successful, I will post the pictures.

You are welcome, and thank you for your support of the Armed Services! I would appreciate your help with poking an eye in the area if you get a chance. I am not set in any specific area as a decent buck is a decent buck regardless of location. I am just excited and fortunate with having the opportunity to hunt them. If you have some ideas in area 52 or 40, I am all ears. I am looking at the areas now. My mother and sisters actually live in Boise so they are close by. Tank you again for you help and advice. Scott

My son has one of the 5 youth archery antelope tags in 39. I have seen 4 or 5 15 inch+ bucks scouting and while hunting, but the bulk of them are on private land. We have tried to get permission on 3 different places and have been shut down on all 3. You might have better odds gaining permission with your military background, but as a life-long Idaho resident, to have folks shut a 12 year old kid out who is hunting with a bow is pretty disheartening. I understand that some have ruined the opportunity for others and I guess I accept this IF THIS IS THE TRUE REASON. I surmise that a Unit 39 Landowner Antelope tag is pretty valuable, even though they can't be sold. A person could, feasibly, LEASE the hunting rights to the land for a reasonable fee and lock the ground up so nobody else could hunt it. Ah, the almighty dollar.

So, for what it's worth, there are antelope in 39, but if it were me, I would look at 54 also.

Good luck on your hunt.

The private property is obviously a challenge in Unit 39...does it get better as the season progresses and the antelope wander a wider range? ... or does it get worse and the animals concentrate on the private property. I remember seeing a large buck on public land higher up...can't remember the timing but thought it was late September and the rifle hunt was on ...

this is why i think the ranchers should recieve ZERO depredation money. they only allow there buddies or people with $$$$$$ to hunt there land and when the elk , deer, antelope winter they cry for fish and game money. as for the other 'HUNTERS" RUINING THE OPERTUNITY I CALL B.S. ON ALMOST ALL OF IT .when there is an event it is almost always in the media somewhere. i am sure there are knuckleheads out there but that excuse is far too old

>this is why i think the
>ranchers should recieve ZERO depredation
>money. they only allow there
>buddies or people with $$$$$$
>to hunt there land and
>when the elk , deer,
>antelope winter they cry for
>fish and game money. as
>for the other 'HUNTERS" RUINING
>THE OPERTUNITY I CALL B.S.
>ON ALMOST ALL OF IT
>.when there is an event
>it is almost always in
>the media somewhere. i am
>sure there are knuckleheads out
>there but that excuse is
>far too old

Still their land!

>Still their land!

"Their" as in the wildlifes land. What should a rancher expect when they move into more wild country? Their farm animals eat the wildlifes food on the open range so why can't the wildlife eat the crop grown inside the property lines?

That is all I am going to banter about as it kills me to be part of the drama on this forum but ranchers crying a river is about the only thing that slightly frustrates me.

Good luck on your antelope tag! I would be looking into the new short range hunts in units that have traditionally been archery only units in past years. Smoke a big one....for Idaho!

I have been out hunting 47 and 46 and have seen a couple dandy bucks in 46. there are two that i have seen that are easily 15 but possibly more. I am working on getting my wifes tag filled out there and i filled my tag yesterday. If you would like some info let me know.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom