The Economy

cabinfever

Very Active Member
Seems like there are a lot of washington self proclaimed experts on the economy. Wanted to take a consensus here on MM. Is it getting better, worse or stagnant? I sure aint seeing signs of improvement in my corner of the country. There sure are a lot of folks getting laid off these days.

I just laid off 3 more guys on Friday. Now I'm down to just 3 left and am scrambling like hell to keep them busy. It's going to take a long time for things to get productive again I fear. The other problem is in construction anyway that everyone and their dog is bidding every job, so you have to practically lose money to land a job these days.

Piper, how's your period?

Zigga, don't forget the knee pads!

Hdude, Lil' Jimmy wants his share!

I consider it a mild depression. Unreal how many small businesses in my area have shut down. I am a heartbeat away from bankruptcy and have been for the last year. Managed to pay off the owners last month which will save $11000 a month and just picked up a good order so I think we are going to survive and keep the guys working. It is a good time to work for a corporation getting a paycheck but it is a scary time to own a business. Gulp!

Same around here. I see the effects in all businesses and our county is primarily AG and tourist oriented. The only businesses booming right now are the wineries...

Stop Global Whining

Here is my 2 cents. We have only looked at 2 sets of new construction plans in the last year and a half. But, our remodel side is booming. Overall, if the price of lumber wasn't so cheap I'd be inclined to think that things would be a lot worse. Things wont get better for a least another year. I believe we have not hit bottom as Osama wants you to believe. In all my years, I've never been so upset as I'm at Osama. This azz proposes to spend $$$ like they are on steroids.

I was happy to see that Ford did very well on the CashFORClunkers as Fiat and Government Motors sales were down.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-09 AT 08:01PM (MST)[p]

hard to tell here in oregon, my son is still unemployed...

I'm sittin on my hands again, I think i've earned 9,000 this year....wow!

i just wanna know why obammanation is wasting time on health care B.S...n not the economy

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-09 AT 06:20AM (MST)[p]I sold all my mutual funds that I have ready access to earlier this week. I've got some other miscellaneous accounts around -- from different employers I have worked for that I have not gotten around to rolling over to my rollover IRA (I'm not all that keen about following my investments, somewhat to my detriment I might add) -- that I haven't liquidated yet. My view is that the market is over priced and likely to drop, and 'tis the season (September and October are the months the stock market has tanked big time when it does so -- 2008, 1987, 1929). Folks say you can't market time, and I buy that theory. At the same time, if you think the market is substantially over valued I think it may make sense to get out.

I haven't seen any substantive improvements. Sure, maybe some of the stimulus money may be bolstering things (and even that is dubious), but that is temporary. I don't see job growth. The people at Toyota are for the first time ever decommissioning plant capacity for producing 1+ million cars per year and laying off the associated workers. I think the toxic assets that started this whole ball rolling down hill remain lurking out there, they have not been addressed.

What I believe happened -- RE stock market growth this year -- is investors got the impression the federal government wasn't going to let some things crash. But that is not the same as fixing the underlying problems and working through the conditions -- toxic underperforming loans -- that led to the problem. These toxic assets remain out there and the piper has not yet been paid.

I'm not seeing any end in sight to the housing crisis which is what drives much of the economy where I live. Foreclosures continue to saturate the market. It will be a long time before homes are in high demand again.

My prediction is we will continue at a snails pace for at least another 3-4 years and I believe it will take a full decade to recover fully.....if thats even possible.

I see it getting no better, or the same here in the Midwest. I do not understand why the stock market rally in August happened. All i can figure is those who are antsy have no place to put what is left of their 401K and do not want to miss out on any recovery. Historicly Sept is the very worst month for the market. I sold off everything and will buy back in come Octer if things look the same, but I am betting history will repeat itself again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom