The end of NW Colorado as we knew it...

elks96

Long Time Member
Man I am hearing and watching how things unfold in NW Colorado. It looks like the increase in Buck tags is hammering tons of the younger bucks. Have not seen a lot of bigger deer getting killed yet, but the crowding is extremely high and a lot of hunters are down right frustrated. A big increase in tag allocations to kill all the mature bucks in the name of CWD might just ruin the areas for an entire generation. Then add in the later season date and the fact that we will now have tags running into thanksgiving and it does not look good at all...

Had this argument with an idiot in I hunt. He said its only 5 days different, whats the big deal? Not only have they increased tags but 3rd now occurs when 4th used to. That by itself is a huge increase in "4th" season tags.

#livelikezac

I agree with Elks96 the future does not look good . And sense DW mentioned it, that " I hunt Colorado" page is only good for pictures and a good laugh. I cant believe some of those clowns are allowed to own guns.

>I agree with Elks96 the future
>does not look good .
>And sense DW mentioned it,
> that " I hunt
>Colorado" page is only good
>for pictures and a good
>laugh. I cant believe some
>of those clowns are allowed
>to own guns.

Haha. I was in it with Cory On that page. He told me that deer really do not migrate into 3 from 4 etc. he was convinced that it would not make a difference.

I laughed at him when he said the ithe deer in 3 are locals and hardly any deer migrate in...

I wish I did not miss that debate!!!

What a joke, Colorado really had a good thing going. If Mother Nature would cooperate with a string of a normal winters for a few years it would bounce back. But pushing the seasons back 5 days is a huge deal. Don?t worry somebody will get on here and post ?don't know what all the doom and gloom is about? with a picture of their spindly 24? 3x4. Letting us know that it's not a monster, but the best one they could find, how they were seeing 5-6 bucks a day, and the hunting was pretty good. Give me a break. Whoever?s running this show, and anyone that thinks they are actually making good decisions doesn't have a clue imo. The same can be said for Idaho and Utah. Mule deer are walking on thin ice in all three of these states. And you sure as hell don't need a biology degree to figure out the mule deer need any help we can give them. Later season?s, more tags, better gadgets/equipment than ever before, cars, trains, predators, development. We better start taking this game seriously and use some common damn sense. Every time you turn around someone?s asking how we recruit more young hunters. Huh? Really? For what? The product you are selling sucks. Why would a new young hunter want to get into this crap? It cost a fortune, deer herds are in a nose dive, and quality for the average joe is pathetic. Spend your money on a boat, sled, quad. Who wants to raise a die hard mule deer hunter this day and age? Sure, anybody can get a job making lots of money and go buy a trophy. Ya, that's hard core. Better off moving to the Midwest and becoming a whitetail freak. The whole damn thing makes me sick. I hate seeing what's going on. Look at pheasant hunting for example, Idaho, Utah it used to be a big deal, everyone use to go out. Old, young, new hunters, whatever. Now what? Well you would think strict predator control, and improving habitat would be at the top of the list... nope, let's spend our money and resources releasing pen raised birds. The people making decisions regarding our wildlife species need to check themselves, they hide behind their charts, graphs, and biology degrees like its gospel. They are doing a piss poor job! Can you imagine where we would be if it wasn?t for RMEF, mule deer foundation, ducks unlimited, pheasants forever, etc. for hell sakes, do the state organizations have any positive effect? Sorry, rant over, it's just getting old, I'm tired of hearing the same excuses over and over. If it's not working try something new. Maybe stop hammering the deer from August to January, or maybe we should just stick with the people who have the degree, and kill all of the mature bucks in November before CWD gets them. That seems like a good call, especially since we don't even completely understand the disease. Unreal.

Environmental Liberalization of Colorado. A failed strategy from concept.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Couldn?t we as hunters self regulate!? Do we really need a government entity to do it for us? I mean we can complain all we want about tag numbers. But if we are still filling that said tag ourself are we any better?

4th ends the 17th this year. In a couple years it ends the 28th. I posted the dates for him to read and asked how he took 17 from 28 and came up with 5? I hunt amuses me. If you go in to 3 in June and again in January it's obvious the deer in 4 and other places migrated down to 3. It is scary they walk amongst us. Better get yer big Colorado buck soon, they're gonna get scarce in a hurry!

#livelikezac

1989, yer talkin about herdin cats, cats that have taken a few shots the the head.

#livelikezac

>4th ends the 17th this year.
>In a couple years it
>ends the 28th. I posted
>the dates for him to
>read and asked how he
>took 17 from 28 and
>came up with 5? I
>hunt amuses me. If you
>go in to 3 in
>June and again in January
>it's obvious the deer in
>4 and other places migrated
>down to 3. It
>is scary they walk amongst
>us. Better get yer big
>Colorado buck soon, they're gonna
>get scarce in a hurry!
>
>
>
>#livelikezac

It absolutely amazes me the amount of people that don't know the population in 3,301, and 11 doubles or triples starting this time of year. I almost argued with a guy about it last week but decided it just wasn?t worth it. You can't fix ignorance, not even with duct tape.

>>4th ends the 17th this year.
>>In a couple years it
>>ends the 28th. I posted
>>the dates for him to
>>read and asked how he
>>took 17 from 28 and
>>came up with 5? I
>>hunt amuses me. If you
>>go in to 3 in
>>June and again in January
>>it's obvious the deer in
>>4 and other places migrated
>>down to 3. It
>>is scary they walk amongst
>>us. Better get yer big
>>Colorado buck soon, they're gonna
>>get scarce in a hurry!
>>
>>
>>
>>#livelikezac
>
>It absolutely amazes me the amount
>of people that don't know
>the population in 3,301, and
>11 doubles or triples starting
>this time of year.
>I almost argued with a
>guy about it last week
>but decided it just wasn?t
>worth it. You can't fix
>ignorance, not even with duct
>tape.

I agree. I hunt unit 22 for example. For over 10 years I have spent over 40 days a year in the unit. During the September archery season I spend nearly 1/2 the month chasing elk in the unit. The most deer I ever saw in 22 during the archery hunt was 5. Most years I saw zero... The same country the same canyons come 3rd season deer, will hold a 100+ deer. In one good day of glassing on a good year I have been able to count 135 deer. Same country that holds none in September...

The sad part about the guy I argued with, he actually pseudo guides the area and think he knows everything. He then bragged about the big deer they kill and when I pushed for examples of the big deer, they were 3 year 24" 4x4. Not even 150s.

I believe some of us can self regulate, but the general population won't.
I took my wife to unit 3 a few years ago, and we both passed on all the bucks we saw. The deer just were not mature enough. We went back three years ago, and both tagged out on nice mature deer, not monster bucks, but nice ones. It appeared that the deer had rebounded from the harsh winter and were making a comeback.
Since then, another harsh winter and "meat hunters" have put a hurt on the population again. All the pictures of dead deer I'm seeing are forked horns or small 3 pointers.
TJMO

hwy

We usually hunt 4 3rd season over the counter Elk tag. After what I saw last year with more tags and then issuing more tags this year, up to 800 I think, my thought was forget about it. Definitely a safety factor involved. My buddy hunts a private ranch in 3 right now and has harvested the only buck they saw. Said it was terrible.

A. Eliminate OTC tags for elk. Do a draw for all tags.
B. Stagger hubt dates for elk and deer. To allow some intimacy in hunting the beautiful CO mountains again, please.
C. Leave season dates alone on West half of state. CWD is not in the mountain areas. Why change dates and allocations in the mountain regions.

Look at Nevada managemnt for Mullies. No rut dates. Less tags. Staggered seasons to some degree elk and deer. Trophy critters, and not over hunted mountains. At least in their trophy units.

Just spent 14 days straight in the same country I've killed multiple big deer the past 5 years (hunting elk thankfully) didn't see a single mature buck the entire time. Hardly seen does to boot. Rather sickening to go into a place I've spent a ton of time in over the years and have great memories of hunting muleys be in such pathetic shape. Don?t think I'll be hunting it for muleys again anytime soon or ever again.... hope my 4th season tag in another unit turns out better.

Coloradoboy

With the deer herd being so bad in the NW, why is fish and game issuing Doe tags? I'm sure that may be a stupid question to some, but it seems ridiculous to me.

hwy

I feel what's happening is political with the state making a shift to a different kind of recreation. They are progressing towards removing cattle, energy, and shooting sports towards biking and hiking. What better way to reduce the numbers of hunters than by having the hunters themselves hunt out the game ultimately shrinking opportunity and the hunting population while also concentrating hunters into regions making the experience less enjoyable. I have found to many "coincidences" to believe this is not the case. Colorado is making a shift and and unless voting results change this shift will continue.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

>Don't know if I totally agree
>with your opinion.
>But it will be up to
>the hunters to turn this
>around.

Not sure if that is possible, not sure where you've been at the meetings but there's been plenty of us who have showed up kicking and screaming at CPW meetings with zero results. Just wait until we have wolf introductions rammed up our a$$$ by the unwanted immigrants on the front range that vote off feelings not facts.

Coloradoboy

I AM AFRAID ITS NOT JUST LIMITED TO NW COLORADO. MY LAST 3 LOCATIONS HUNTING DEER IN COLORADO HAVE ALL BEEN POOR AT BEST. THE DEER HERDS JUST ARENT THERE ANY MORE.

I JUST SPENT 15 POINTS ON A GREAT UNIT WE HAVE HUNTED IN THE PAST(53) 3RD SEASON...????.VERY FEW DEER. MY BUDDY NEVER SAW A BUCK. WE EVEN HAD SNOW TO HELP US OUT...?.NADA !!!!

OUT OF POINTS AND DONE WITH COLORADO...????????..YD.

Just got back from hunting unit 23, 3rd season. We saw plenty of does and young bucks, but few big ones. I got a very nice 26 inch buck and the other guys killed 2 mediocre 4x4s and a smallish 3x3. Like I said, lots of does.
We struck out on elk, saw about 40 cows, all at a distance, and zero bulls. Yeah, it did seem hunting pressure was up a bit.

I have to say I think there is some truth to this. Oregon has went that way already. The mule deer debate rages on and this in not just a Colorado issue is an all Western states mule deer issue. Lots of ways to fix the problem as has been discussed on this site many times just the states have their blinders on or like your saying they just have other plans.

I just got back from hunting the last 7 days of 3rd. I saw fewer deer, less bucks, generally lower quality of bucks and easily double the hunters I've seen in years past. I've also never seen so much bear ##### in my entire life, it was fkn everywhere.

I hunted an area that I've pulled big bucks out of in the past, but for whatever reason it only had dinks in it this year. Found some better bucks up high in the timber, including one big boy but didn't close the deal. Ate my tag. Can?t wait to do it again but would be lying if I said I wasn?t concerned about what's going on there...

I had a unit 2 archery deer tag last year and was surprised at both the lack and quality of bucks. I was in the unit for 17 days and hunted and only found two decent bucks to hunt. Spent nearly all of my hunt after them and fortunately was able to connect with one of them at 9 yards! The amount of wild horses in the unit is sad!!

As far as i can tell, there are no bucks getting killed this 3rd season! 4th season looks also like warm weather, hopefully they wont kill many!

Push the doomsday clock back one more year!

I learned about these exclamation points from Elk ASSassin!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom