The higher the better!!

Utahelk1

Okay I've never been a hard core archery hunter. This year I want to be out in Sept. when the air is cooling down and the leaves and mtn. beauty is, imo, the best time of the year. I've talked to bowhunters.....and I quote "my bow is set at 74 lbs, my bow is set at 68 lbs, my bow is set at 70 lbs, my bow is set at 78 lbs. Is that high the best settings? My bow is at 56 and I would like to raise it to 60 by hunting season.

My bow is set at 63 lbs. THere's no need to be hee man. Shoot what you can and what you feel comfortable with.
Granted I am shooting 410 grains at 300 fps at 63 lbs...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-10 AT 11:19AM (MST)[p]You're much better off shooting a poundage that is is not going to restrict you in real-life hunting situations. It's one thing to shoot at a target, but hunting is an entirely different story. You seem to always be in odd positions, then throw in buck-fever (lol), etc. The key is practice, but 70+ lbs isn't always necessary. One reason I bought a "speed bow", was so I could drop my poundage and still have good speed. But speed is NOT everything! I think concealment and silence is more important, and IMO shooting a lower poundage helps with both of those things. I shoot 65lbs & 300+ fps.

I have been told by a very knowledgable bow guru that bows perform at their best when they are maxed out.
Maybe somone else can shed some light on this?

As to poundage- Fred Bear killed most everyhting that could be killed with around 35 lb of kinetic energy. I would think that most your average bows with average draw length are throwing at least 50lb ke.
What I'm saying is shoot what you can shoot very comfortably. Why make it harder- the odds are stacked aginst you in all the other areas to begin with when it comes to bow hunting.

I have to say this though- todays 70lb bows are a treat when compared to yesteryears 70lb bows.

I shoot 82 lbs, 480 gr. arrow, @ 311 fps which if I remember right comes to around 90 something lbs of kinetic energy. Ive shot 80lb bows for a lot of years and is just what I am comfortable with and love having the extra knock down power at longer ranges.

I agree with whats been said about shooting whats comfortable to you. You never know when you are going to have to draw in weird positions that aren't what you are used to.

Most bows these days shoot fast enough at the legal hunting lbs to make a clean and ethical shot. As long as you have the right arrow set up and know your limits I think most will get the job done.

Just my 2 cents

-KILLSHOT Productions Guides & Outfitters-

As to the maxed out question, bows perform best maxed out because there is less "slop" in the limbs and the angles are closer to specs since thats how they do all of the manufacturing test set up at maxed lbs. Or so I've been told

-KILLSHOT Productions Guides & Outfitters-

A rule of thumb I always use is, if you can hold the bow straight out in front of you and easily draw the bow straight back to anchor, the poundage is good for you. If you have to raise it up in the air and push and pull its to heavy. 60 lbs with the right arrow and broadhead will kill any animal in North America. theres guys killing everything with bows shooting 180 ft per second and less so speed is kind of meaningless as far as killing goes. Shoot a bow you can easily draw, use heads that are razor sharp on arrows weighing over 400 grs, put those arrows where they're supposed to go and that animal WILL bleed to death. Good luck and shoot straight!

>A rule of thumb I always
>use is, if you can
>hold the bow straight out
>in front of you and
>easily draw the bow straight
>back to anchor, the poundage
>is good for you. If
>you have to raise it
>up in the air and
>push and pull its to
>heavy. 60 lbs with the
>right arrow and broadhead will