The one that got away..

RoughCountry

Had an archery tag last year and was holding out for a good bull, pasted a few nice looking ones . On the last afternoon me and a friend got on a bull that was bugling to our west so we got the horses tied up and got set up for him. He bugeled one more time then all heck broke loose behind us and this guy was running right to us down off a ridge, across a meadow bugeling loud. We were caught by surprise. We were set up for the other bull to the west this guy came from the east , we were on the edge of the meadow and pretty much no cover behind us. He came in to 30 yards and stood there looking at my friend (who took the pic) , then at the horses 60 yards to his left I was kneeing up against a small juniper tree to his left and was pretty much pinned down. The bull stopped for a few seconds then spooked, my friend cow called at him to stop him.....I guessed him about 40 yards and let one go. Shot right behind his left leg but about 4 inches to low....I think if I had aimed for 45 or just a little higher he would be on the wall now.. I've thought about that one a time or two. Don?t know what he scored but he was a big bull !!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2018/43766deccb975fcf14e10acc18bd501f6c91d.jpeg

Drew archery Antelope but no elk tag this year.....got a 13 year old granddaughter that has an elk tag.....that's going to be a fun hunt !!

wow, that is a really nice bull!!!

Good luck on the speedgoat hunt, and really good luck on your grand-daughters elk hunt, youth hunts are the best!!!

I got pinned down unexpectedly once when the lead cows of a herd bull popped over the hill before I was set up. He was not quite as nice as yours (a 340-ish), but he still haunts me. He was pushing a herd of about 30+ cows right down on top of me and the only cover I had available was about 15" tall grass. The lead cows were at 15 feet when I said enough is enough and raised up on my knees and drew back. There was one collective gasp as all of the cows simultaneously sucked in air. The bull stepped out from behind a small pine to see what was up and I had him perfect broadside. I guessed him to be at 60 yards and I put my 55-yard pin at the top of his back and let it fly. Arrow sailed right over his back. Everyone stayed frozen until I tried to nock another arrow and then the stampede started. After all the dust settled I got out my range finder and ranged the small pine. He was at 45 yards too. I can't estimate distance worth a crap...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-18 AT 08:45PM (MST)[p]I'd like to have that day back......just once. I had that pic blown up and it's on my wall. What a sight to see when he was running in off that ridge across that meadow towards us screaming all the way.

Just reading of others with near misses on whooper Bulls ......well the knot in my gut just came back. It hurts to think of what could have been in my hunting adventures . That's why it's hunting , we do all we can to put the odds in our favor but often it just doesn't work out. These critters have one job, it's staying alive and they are REALLY good at it.

Been there done that. Had one catch me and my buddy in the middle of a meadow. Came walking straight at us bugling like crazy. Walks straight at us until he is 9 yds away then finally notices us. Busted out of there no doubt.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom