The reference list

mistertwister

Have you ever called an outfitters reference list and get the feeling you are talking to people he knows (salespeople), or are regular customers with special priveleges, or even family members. How do you really know and what can you do to avoid this. Are they telling you the truth or just alot of hype. How much is real and how much is BS.

You need to be careful for sure. One outfitter I'm familiar with has the same people on the list every year, call them and they have all hunted with him for 10 years or so, no wonder he is always booking new guys, he must not treat all his clients very well. A good source might be this website, with the number of guys most guys will have hunted with an outfitter or known somebody who has.

Ridgerunner makes a good point. As well as checking the reference list find out what the outfitters return client percentage is. if it's bellow 50% I would look elswhere. Also, if you talk to people on his reference list and they all took animals I would be a little suspicious. If I was making that call I would like to talk to someone who didn't harvest an animal to see how the camp was, how they were treated and what their perspective was on quality and quantity of animals they saw.

It's always an adventure!!!

I would ask for a list of everyone who hunted with him the last year. If he is unwilling to provide that I would be unwilling to book a hunt with him. Some of those people on the reference lists may have not hunted with that outfitter for years. Alot can change year to year. It is good to see return customers also. Just my 2 cents.

Brushstomper

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom