The rut is ON!

CAelknuts

It sure looks like the rut is kicking in good all of a sudden. My son and I hunt some private ranches in the foothills of D5. Last weekend, I got out both evenings, and saw 6-8 deer, only a buck or two each time and nothing big.

This morning, my son and I went out at first light. I could only hunt till 8:30 as I had to get to work, and by then we saw over 20 deer, with 7 of them being bucks. Nothing we wanted to shoot, but they were walking around with no concern other than following the does they were behind.

My son hunted all day, and ended up seeing over 30 deer with a total of a dozen bucks. He passed up a couple big forkie bucks that were 20"+ wide, as well as a couple nice 3x3 bucks. He wasn't able to get a shot at a big buck he saw, but we plan to be right back in there tomorrow morning.

All of a sudden, bucks are visible all over the place, and acting really rutty. The next 5 days are gonna be fun!

Oh, BUCKS! At first I thought you meant ducks!:)

Good deal Dan. I went fishing this morning and saw 2 nice blacktail bucks chasing does. This was right in the salt grass along the Bay. The season ended Sunday of course.

Good luck!

Eel

If you have a D zone tag, you need to get out in the field now. My son hunted all day yesterday and saw about 50 deer and 20 or so bucks. We went out this morning, and at first light he shot an old 4x4 with eyeguards. The buck had less than 1/2 his teeth left, and his molars were worn down to the gums. NO teeth in upper jaw at all.

In 30 minutes this evening, I saw 17 deer, 7 of which were bucks. Lone bucks are out cruising for does, and the ones with does are just plain stupid right now.

Have not had chance to get out recently and really would like to put my 71 yr old pops on a decent buck. The area we generally hunt is snowed out, any recommendations for public land?

If you have a D3-5 tag, I'd hunt either the country just north of the Rubicon, which you access out of Georgetown, or the country east of Georgetown or Peavine Ridge. They should all hold deer.

Where I hunt is private land in the foothills, and there are deer all over the place right now. Went out this morning, saw 7 bucks by 8:30 before I headed back home to do some work around the house. The deer are totally rutting right now, had a group of 6 bucks chasing a not doe around, and one of them nearly ran into my pickup while I was sitting there watching them. They have only one thing on their mind right now, and it is not avoiding hunters.

Nice, I finished my 2nd tag on my Birthday (Halloween) but still want to find my pops a 2nd Buck. Everyone I know hunting private ground says the deer are really rutting but on Public ground were just not seeing it. I think with less pressure on them they are relaxed and into the mood more. 9 out of 10 tages filled on deer for our group and we will post a season round up post shortly. Good luck and get a toad!

Buck or Bucks down? Hearsay!

We need Pic's please! lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-13 AT 09:14AM (MST)[p]OK, Joey, as you requested.

Here is my son's buck from earlier this week.

24742013.jpg

And here's the antler's from a nice buck I shot a few years back on our deer lease. This buck weighed about 120 or so pounds live weight, but the antlers look like they're from a bigger deer. He was pretty impressive seeing him on the skyline right at sunset. He's the last deer I shot on our lease, and it's been a few years since I took him.

8882009.jpg

We had a fun season this year. I saw probably over 30 bucks in the last week, including several nice 4x4 bucks, lots of 3x3s. It was a good year. I seldom shoot a buck on our leases anymore, but greatly enjoy getting out and seeing what I might find. We are pretty fortunate, we realize that, to have such a great opportunity as I've enjoyed for over 30 years on this lease. My son will be 26 in a few weeks, and he's been hunting there since he was 12 years old, when he shot a 22" wide 3x3 for his first blacktail. It's nice to be able to raise your kid to be selective in what he takes, and these ranches allow us to be that way.

CA, first off, thanks for posting up your pic's!!

I do remember your buck from a few years ago but not that pic. He's still a Dandy and looks even better than i remember.

Your Son's buck looks like he has tons of character. I really like how high up the beam his eye-gaurds are and the mass,.. along with just the overall trophy appearance he makes. Both are truly fine foothill bucks to be proud of! Thanks again!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

It is amazing to me also how it kicked in. My son had two chances today on his first buck. Thank god he connected on the second chance. It is a incredible feeling as a father to watch your son take a buck. Especially in his first year. That is one more gripe I have with California. If they are going to be with their parents why do they have to be 12. If they can handle the gun they should be able to shoot.

Cool bucks. I like big 3 points with the single on the backs like swords.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom