"The Sheldon"

Would have to refer to a thread many years ago about the Sheldon National Antelope Refuge where NVdrhntr wrote that even with the decline of deer numbers there, when it comes time to fill out the application, the Sheldon slips into one of the 5 choices. That is exactly what happened to me this year, and I drew an archery deer tag. Who'd a thunk it?
I hunted the Sheldon in the 70's when you could just buy a tag and hunt there. Never realized how blessed I was in those"good ole days". I know the deer numbers are down, the horse numbers are up, and the cheat grass reins supreme. But, I am going because the Sheldon really is a special place. And, that high desert environment, spot and stalk mule deer with a bow just can't be beat.
My biggest concern with the Sheldon is access to the areas that hold some deer with a vehicle/atv. I was told all the roads have been closed, not because of fire, just closed to all vehicles. Not sure if thats true or not. I am 72 yrs old and if say Catnip Mt. doesn't have a single road to access its interior I am in a world of hurt. Its too far to walk in there from road 8A, shoot a buck, and pack him out. Same for all the other high elevation peaks, ie. Badger Mt. I'll scout the area for access and camping before the season. Right now I am trying to figure out what I need for this hunt before then. Am even thinking e-bike, but not sure their legal either.
Please help me with what you know about the Sheldon more currently than my outdated info. I'll try to return the favor to you. ps. I drew the tag with just 3 p. points.

Wish I could help but all the dee ive seen on the Sheldon are up high. That's during the sage hen hunt/blackpowder deer hunt

I've never really paid attention to be honest. When I'm there I'm at Catnip reservoir to hunt sage hens. In the event I don't kill em next to the lake I climb the table on the far side. I see deer in the rims and on the table top.

I'll be there hunting antelope after your done. Any info you care to share would be greatly appreciated. Best luck to you on your hunt.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom