The States Rights Shuffle

440sixpack

Republicans are all about states right until it isn't in line with their agenda, then you sue somebody. the Oregon right to die bill was a perfect example.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...uana_n_4964995.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

I personally do not agree with legalizing it, and I think the feds should step in. but I'm not in agreement the states rights superceds federal law like the republicans do. or should I say they sometimes do.

Make up your mind, either you're for states rights or you're not.

Stay thirsty my friends

Dude we fought a civil war over state rights. I do believe that states should have the majority say so in a lot of areas to better serve their people.
The feds passing laws or regulations that may be good for New York, may be a law that is not good for the majority of the citizens in Oregon or other Western states.

One area where the Feds should bow out is the right to abortion. It should be decided at state levels if that paticular state should or should not allow abortions. It should also be decided by the women in each of those states.

There is many areas that better laws could be decided at the state level. The feds should only set a guidline on certain issues to prevent states from violation of civil rights as mandated by the Constitution

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-14 AT 10:28AM (MST)[p]Yes and no. in order to be a nation we have to be a collection of states all under the same law . when the feds step in and when they watch from the sidelines cannot be determined by party politics.

If the republicans expect the feds to step in on pot laws, shouldn't they also demand the feds enforce any state gun laws ?

Either the states have rights or they don't. you can't cherry pick the laws you like.

Stay thirsty my friends

>Either the states have rights or
>they don't. you can't cherry
>pick the laws you like.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay thirsty my friends

Then how come the current administration is allowed to ignore Federal law in regards to pot being illegal? That is the rub here, not a states right issue when people are traveling from states where pot is not legal to states where pot is.

That makes crossing state lines to consume pot a Federal Interstate Commerce case. That is the same view the courts hold for all other crime. Once a person crosses a state line to commit a crime, it is literally then a Federal Offense. Show me in the law where the Executive Branch gets the authority to decide which federal laws it will enforce and which it won't enforce.

The gun laws are not the same thing in that the Constitution is a limiting document, meaning that any power not specified in the Constitution is reserved for the states. There have been federal laws passed classifying pot as a class one substance, they have been tried in court and have been found within congresses ability to make laws regarding this.

I am fine with repealing the law and making pot legal as I don't believe it is any more or less harmful then alcohol but I don't believe the Administration has the Constitutional Authority to decide it will nullify a law on the books without going to congress and getting a new law passed.

Are you willing to give this power to select which laws to enforce and which to ignore to a Republican president?

It isn't a states rights argument being made it is actually a valid question regarding existing laws being changed via Executive fiat. Again I could care less about pot and while I don't support abortion I believe that should not be a States right issue due to the equal protection clause.

If you want to not enforce what you view as a bad law then get the law changed but you can't just decide that some states can preempt federal at times because you agree with them. If there was no federal law against pot then there wouldn't be an issue.

Nemont

I see your point, but my point is more about states rights and how it's popular to cherry pick when we believe in them and when we don't.

What Obama should do is say okay, republicans you give me the money I need to hire 10,000 feds, the court staff and the prisons and I'll go arrest millions of stoners for you and prove states don't have the right to do this. they'll piss and moan if he spends $20 doing it .

I see no good coming from legalization, and I see no winning the war on drugs. it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Stay thirsty my friends

Or he could spend almost zero and say, "let's repeal or change the Federal law to allow the states to decide".

I don't care about legalization because people are going to toke up regardless and legalization takes it out of the dark corners of the drug trade.

Why are you willing to allow a sitting president to cherry pick which laws he wants to enforce and only whine about Republicans using political moves? Do you think not enforcing the Federal law against pot isn't a political move on Obama's part?

Seems like selective outrage on your part to just bash Republicans while giving a Giant pass to an administration that refuses to enforce a Federal law that doesn't violate the Constitution like DOMA most likely did. At least by refusing to enforce DOMA there was a legitimate Constitutional argument to make.

Nemont

>I see your point, but my
>point is more about states
>rights and how it's popular
>to cherry pick when we
>believe in them and when
>we don't.
>
>What Obama should do is say
>okay, republicans you give me
>the money I need to
>hire 10,000 feds, the court
>staff and the prisons
>and I'll go arrest millions
>of stoners for you and
>prove states don't have the
>right to do this.
>they'll piss and moan if
>he spends $20 doing it
>.
>
>
>I see no good coming from
>legalization, and I see no
>winning the war on drugs.
>it's damned if you do
>and damned if you don't.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay thirsty my friends
I think in the long run ite cheaper to fight than to allow a million more mush heads that we have to support.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-14 AT 05:05PM (MST)[p]The state smell $'$$$'$$$$ so I say it's gonna stay, I know a kid here in Medford grows in a warehouse harvest every 65 days, cha ching....

Obama might be refusing to enforce the pot laws for political reasons? ya think? it would be unpopular and a waste of money. maybe he will move to change the law, but I think he should give them a funding bill to approve and call their bluff.

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/other/272047-poll-most-want-feds-to-defer-to-states-on-pot

Again, if the republicans were about states rights wouldn't they demand Obama change the law to accommodate the states voters rather than demand he arrest millions of americans? who's being selective now?

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-14 AT 08:59AM (MST)[p]Show me where it is Congresses job to make the executive branch enforce the laws it has passed and the president has signed, just because the law in question is unpopular. That isn't how it worked with prohibition.

Why does Obama get to select the laws he will enforce. Are you willing to give the same power to a Republican president who decides not to enforce the clean water act or the endangered species act.

It is a red herring to say the Republicans only believe in states rights when it is convenient, apparently the Democrats only believe in the Supremacy of Federal law when a law is unpopular. That premise has been tested at the USSC many times always upheld.

So either we are a country of laws or we are a country of only the popular laws that a sitting president agrees with. You can't have it both ways.

Nemont

You didn't answer my question, if the republicans support states rights why don't they demand Obama change the federal law to accommodate the states choice? this has no constitutional implications to deal with.

How much money should Obama spend to enforce a law most americans don't want enforced? would you be willing to fund it? let's cut the chit and get down to the reality of it.

Stay thirsty my friends

Because congress makes the laws and the executive branch is supposed to execute the laws of the land. If the law is unpopular then why doesn't the president get with Majority leader Harry Reid and have him draft a bill allowing the states to control pot?

How much can Obama spend without congressional approval? So if a majority of people decide that we don't want laws enforced any president can ignore the law of the land?

If the President believes we are a nation of laws why doesn't propose a law to undo the classification of Pot as a Class One drug?

I pay for a lot of things I don't agree with, so if he enforced the law then that is what it is. My taxes are spend on many foolish, stupid laws so what would it cost to actually enforce this one?

You hold the party's to very different standards of behavior and ignore the same actions from this president.

Nemont

"Demand Obama change the federal law".............really??.....how??....he can do that?........you ignorant phuk

1283eagle_government.jpg

I was unaware that there was no pot in the US before Obama decided not to enforce the federal law. is that why federal agents weren't kicking stoners doors in prior to states legalizing it? it can't be enforced and you know it. the feds could sue CO and WA and see how that plays out, is that what you want? that could take years.

Politically it's a no win situation, if Obama enforces the law voters will not approve and whoever moves to chane the law will be known as the stoner politician. everyone is going to sit and pick their nose and see how it plays out.

So I take it the republicans are only in support of states rights when it fits their agenda, then they want big brother to kick your door down. I figured as much, we'll come back to this next time the republicans cry for states rights.

Obama is a poor poker player, he could both satisfy his critics and force them to retreat if he played this right.

Stay thirsty my friends

I you don't care which laws any president enforces so when the next one decides public lands are not public then you have no room to whine.

I said I don't really care about pot, the stoners I know of are virtually harmless and the ones who aren't don't really care if pot is illegal they are going to consume it anyway. I want to tax the $hit out of pot so that at least the stoners are paying in something.

Yes if Obama was a good politician he could paint the Republicans into a corner. The problem is that the corner he painted himself into is making his life miserable. I still have faith that the Republicans will once again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as they are going to primary their candidates from the right and probably nominate unelectable candidates in what should be easy to win districts and states.

None of that has anything to do with a president unwilling to enforce or at least make a token effort to appear to enforce a legal, constitutional law that was passed and signed into law.

As long as you are willing to stand by and let the next guy or gal choose which law they like and which they can ignore then I guess we are all good. I suspect that isn't the case but time will tell. If it were a Republican you would be demanding he/she enforce all the laws.

Nemont

>Obama is a poor poker player,
>he could both satisfy his
>critics and force them to
>retreat if he played this
>right.
>
>
>
>Stay thirsty my friends

I can't believe what I am reading.......did you just criticize you savior Obama 440?
If so you've come a long way since I've been gone. lol :)

"I'll admit it, that's hella funny! Good to see you around 202, I wish you would return on a regular basis there's a lot of bruised low lying fruit on here lately. You should be on here on a regular basis especially since it was your political carpet bombing at the campfire that inspired this forum!"
Thank you Forthewall

When did I ever say Obama was great? he's just better than his competition. and you set the bar very low.

Who's fault is that?

Stay thirsty my friends

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom