The super tag curse!!!

tylerbenelli

So it's taken me a long time to finally post this on here, but I'm finally back regardless! I am that lucky SOB that drew the Idaho super Moose tag. Drawing this tag is the best Christmas present my fianc?e could have ever got me. She bought me a couple chances at the raffle while I was in Afghanistan! Im super pumped about getting this tag mostly because I will actually have time to put it to good use, I am separating from the military in a couple weeks and will have till Oct 1st off. Im an Idaho native so please save the oh geez a nonresident got this tag business.
I'm really not on here looking for any specific info I believe I have all my bases covered and I should have plenty of time just as long as I don't have to start working too soon. I just want to talk Moose hunting with whoever wants to talk. I have killed a few Moose while I lived in Alaska and I enjoy hunting them. And before anyone asks I will be leaving the boom stick at home I love archery hunting.

Congrats all the way around, Moose tag and finishing your tour. Thanks for all of your blood, sweat, and tears for our freedom. Wish I had some info for you on your hunt. 15 years ago I saw my biggest Idaho moose up in Birch Creek (58). I lived in the panhandle for 15 years and had them walk through my yard. Sounds like you got a handle on it already. If you are bored you can look me up and we can shoot the breeze sometime.

DZ

Hey thanks, I'm glad to be moving onto the next chapter in my life. I spent 850+ days and three hunting seasons overseas so I'll be happy to not do that anymore!

So does anyone know about last years super tag hunters? I heard one guy shot a decent bull and the other held out till he didn't shoot one.

Congrats on the tag, hopefully the guy that got the tag last year will chime in. He got his archery too. Not as big as he wanted, but he did see plenty of moose. That's moose hunting, the guy with the tag looking for a big one and everybody else seeing them! Good luck!!!

Thank you for your service and CONGRATULATIONS! I don't have a lot to add but I sent you a quick PM.

couple years ago i was in unit 50 out of arco, deer hunting on sheep mountain, seen 1 hell of a big bullreally wide , big palms, and lots of points,,,, i seen 6 bulls and a bunch of cows,,,

so I guess nothing in life ever goes according to planned, I just took a job down here in NM and will be starting in the middle of August. So im going to make a quick trip up to Idaho to scout this Sunday, cant wait to do a little fishing and see my beautiful green state!

and maybe get lucky and see a few moose!

Congrats on that job. Keep communicating, both on the forums and PM some guys that seem to know what they are talking about. Once season get's closer, if you stay in touch, you will get some good intel and help.

This is obvious, but ill throw it out there. Check idfg for harvest stats, it will tell you which unit had the widest average spread. I know spread isnt everything but its a place to start.

I pulled the harvest stats for the last 5 years the day after I found out I had the tag. I believe that the harvest stats only tell part of the story, but they are a great starting point. Like take unit 70 that is one of the hardest tags to draw for Moose, do you think there's that many big moose in that unit or that the people that have that tag know the bar is a little higher so they hold out for a few more days?

One of the reasons 70 hard to draw is because it's close to Pocatello, The other reason is that there are Big bulls there.

Unit 70 has ATV restrictions so you will need to hunt on foot or horse to find the big ones.

I know the unit very well and it would be my first choice to hunt for Moose.

Well sorry it took me so long to get on here and post my story. I ended up using my rifle just because of me starting work and also the fact that I'm getting married this weekend!! I also wanted to get to my Elk hunt in NM "and that was a great hunt".
I scouted pretty hard I spent a week in August scouting between units 70, 73, and 55. I saw the most in unit 70 and with my short time frame I chose to hunt there. So I came back later in August and scouted almost a week before the opener and turned up a few bulls close to the one I shot; however, in the process I lost my GPS. So I ended up using my phone when I had service!
The Hunt
My dad came up the night before the opener I already had a pretty sweet camp all set up so he was able to get right to bed. After a short nights sleep we went right back where I was glassing the night before the opener, I turned up a decent bull that needed our attention. The minute we got over the hill and where I wanted to setup glassing at daybreak I spotted the bull! this time he even had a buddy with him and had started rubbing off his velvet, my dad and I quickly decided that everything was to perfect for me not to try a stalk on him so I went over some last minute hand signals with my dad and off I went with my bow in hand in rifle in the pack.
It took me a little over an hour to get in behind the Moose and after a few hand signal mistakes and me hiking back and forth over the rim of the canyon I was finally able to zero in on the Bulls. I got within 35 yards with my bow in hand and never got a clear shot so when the bulls were leaving I unpacked the rifle and the rest in history. I know I said I wasn?t going to bring the rifle, but after taking a job at a gas power plant I knew I wouldn't make it back to Idaho again after the 7th of Sept and I believe it would have been much nicer to bowhunt them during the rut.
After all was said and done I was headed home the day after the opener with a decent 40" moose. I was so blessed to have my dad there with me, the pack out was the worst. I'm so thankful that I was able to do a hunt like this in my home state, I literally almost cried as I was driving back to dusty NM. I hope one day soon I can find a good job in Idaho, so if you know anyone hiring in the power plant business let me know ;)

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos2/3190photo_(2).jpg

Congratulations. Beautiful looking bull. Getting it with your dad there is a bonus.
I was able to view the image by copying and pasting the URL but the () at the end of the URL are preventing it from showing in your post. If you can get image uploaded where there is no () in the URL you can get the image to show up in the post.

3190photo_2.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom