The truth about Cabelas

Wes

Very Active Member
Outdoors superstore heads to Utah County
By Mark Eddington
The Salt Lake Tribune

PROVO - It may not be as big as the great outdoors, but the Cabela's hunting and fishing superstore coming to northern Utah County will be a whopper.
"It's a big deal," said Tim Simonsen of Prime Commercial about today's announcement of a 150,000-square-foot Cabela's planned for Lehi east of Thanksgiving Point and Interstate 15.
Gov. Olene Walker will join officials from Utah County, Lehi and Cabela's at Traverse Mountain Development at 2 p.m. to announce the project, which state economic development officials say will create up to 400 full- and part-time jobs.
Details were sketchy Monday, pending today's news conference at 3490 N. Traverse Mountain Blvd.
However, the Utah County Commission is poised to pass a $2 million revenue bond this morning for a museum connected with the Cabela's project. Commissioners would not discuss Monday how the store and museum are linked.
The Lehi City Council, according to its agenda, is scheduled tonight to discuss a development agreement with Cabela's, as well as a $9 million revenue bond for infrastructure upgrades for the project.
"The bond will include water, sewer, storm drain, electric and road improvements," Lehi City Recorder Connie Ashton said. The city is "pledging sales tax and transient-room tax revenues" as collateral for the bond.
Cabela's boasts nine superstores - with three more set to open - and a two-story, 120,000-square-foot corporate headquarters in Sidney, Neb., that houses 500 employees and is large enough to accommodate a football field on each floor.
The Lehi store would be the first Cabela's in the West, according to the chain's Web site.
Forbes magazine named Cabela's one of the nation's top 100 companies for which to work. In June 2004, the company debuted on the New York Stock Exchange.
Outdoor enthusiasts say Cabela's is second to none. A typical store sports wall-to-wall trophies of virtually every game animal. Fishing ponds, aquariums, education booths and other flourishes help lure patrons.
"Cabela's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is not your average retail store," said Stan Lockhart, a State Council of Workforce Services member who helped arrange a meeting between the Utah Governor's Office and Cabela's. "It's a destination that people will flock to from all over the Intermountain West. So this is a real coup for Utah County, especially for Lehi."
An avid hunter and fisher, Jason Hunt of American Fork has heard rumors about Cabela's coming to Utah County.
"This means the world; this is so incredible," Hunt said. "When my buddies go to Nebraska, they make sure Cabela's is first on their list of places to go. Cabela's has . . . all the name brands for guns, knives, rods and reels and anything else you can name. It is going to put all the other stores out of business, but we're OK with that."
[email protected]

About Cabela's

How it started: The Nebraska-based company was founded in 1961 as a direct-mail company by ##### and Mary Cabela. Today, it employs more than 7,000 people and produces more than 30 catalogs a year.

Where they are: Cabela's has nine stores in Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Pennsylvania and Kansas. Three others are set to open in Texas and West Virginia.

About the stores: Retail stores are generally large - they range from 40,000 to 225,000 square feet. The larger stores include an interior mountain with taxidermy animals.

On the Web: http://www.cabelas.com

I have a Cabela's store a few hours away in Pa. and a Bass Pro less then 10 minutes. There is no comparison!!!
Given the choice I'll take Cabela's anytime!!!

What part of Utah is Lehi of. This will be the closest Cabelas to Washington. I wish they would build one closer to the west coast.

Lehi is about half way between provo and saltlake.
Or about 35mins. from my house. Sweet.
DeadI

Will be interesting to see how it impacts Sportsman's. A bit of competition might help drive some prices down on some stuff, we'll have to see what shakes down.

Nice sales tax revenue for Lehi City and the state! I'd sure like to understand what additional "wooing" took place to get them here beyond the improvments/museum funding. I'm sure there are some solid market analysis stats run by someone that helped Cabelas make the decision. Should be a lucrative store!

I like stopping at the Cabela's stores whenever I am in those areas, but I have to say if you have not been to the Bass Pro Shop & Museum in Springfield, Missouri you need to. That blows away any other store I've been to. I've heard that the Minnesota Cabela's is supposed to be impressive. Does anyone know which of their stores is the largest?

I've been to the Cabela's store in Kansas City and Bass Pro in Springfield. Cabela's blows Bass Pro away. The Mule Deer exhibit in KC is worth making a detour to see.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

kilbuc (nice handle)

When at Springfield, did you visit both the BP museum and the wildlife museum next door? We were at both for 6 hours and didn't really get close to seeing everything.

Is the KC Cabela's their biggest? OR the Minnesota store?

when is this going to open i heard rumors of this 3 years ago
but anyways i hope it kicks the $hit out of sportsmans over priced you know what !!! but it is cool any ways.......

I live about an hour from the Owatonna, MN store, and it is a nice place. The people who work there generally know quite a bit about what they are selling. Couple years ago, my wife and kids gave me a $100 gift certificate to Cabela's, and I decided to use it to outfit myself with a beginner's fly-fishing package. The guy who waited on me was an experienced fly-fisherman, and he spent at least a half-hour with me explaining the basic terminology of fly-fishing and also helping me buy a decent, inexpensive package. He didn't put any pressure on me to spend several hundred $$ on stuff I didn't need, especially as a beginner. The downside (IMO) to not only Cabela's but the whole sporting goods industry is all the gadgets anymore. I know, I know - the stuff I use today is way more high-tech than what my Dad used, but I just wonder where it's all leading in the next 10, 20, or 50 years.

BlueStem, I personally think that it's gotten out of hand w/ the food plots, and game feeders, and I know what you mean by all the gadgets and gismos, but the food plots, and feeders are what really gets me. It's almost like taking the deer out of their own environment and drawing them to a place where they can be "hunted". I hate watching huntin shows on the outdoor channel, where you can see the man drive within 100 yds of his "blind" on his ATV, (which consists of a nice leather office chair, and a heater!) then "hunt" over a dirt road where the guide planted grain out the night before, so he can shoot a fenced in whitey. Just not my thing.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

I know how you guys feel about sportsmans. However, for those of you that have been to a Cabela's store, what are the prices like there?

MichaelJ, I'm in complete agreement. While I would never try and deny them hunting that way I just have no interest in shooting a buck, from inside a box, over a bucket of cracked corn. And I can never figure out why they need full camo to sit in the box. But hey, they seem to enjoy it and maybe they wouldn't like the way I hunt.

My experience with Cabelas stores is that most of the stuff is priced identically to the catalogs. The really popular Cabelas brand items (Outfitter Boots, Alaskan Guide Optics, Drake Fly Reels, etc.) never goes on sale. However, you do have a better chance of finding clearance items and you can personally browse through that particular store's Bargain Cave.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom