The Unhealthy Diet

D

Dmanmastertracker

http://www.newtreatments.org/vegetarian

This is really interesting, according to medical science, unless you eat eggs, which are in essence a living thing, you have no chance to be healthy as a vegetarian. Vegetarians who don't eat eggs and other animal bi-products like butter and cream are diseased and often die of malunitrition. Interesting read.

That IS interesting! It might also be interesting to note that I read that entire article while eating on a stick of home made salami. (a bunch of us made 1800 lbs. about a month ago). I guess I need the salami to fight off the depression I get from eating all the vegetables and fruits my wife puts in front of me!:)

Eel

LOL, I'm a meat a holic, if I don't get at least a good chop, burger or steak a day I go a little nuts. My mom's cousin tried going vegetarian and he got so unhealthy he ended up in the hospital. He now eats chicken and fish. I have to have beef, or some venison, ummm, salmon also, and OH HELL, If it had fur, fins or feathers, I gotta slap it on the grill!! :D

I hear that! I actually get cravings for BBQed steak, chicken, and even cold pork chops, LOL.
Funny..never had a brussel sprout (gag) call my name like a good BBQed New York steak does.

If God did not want us to hunt...he would not have made things out of meat!

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

"Vegetarians who don't eat eggs and other animal bi-products like butter and cream are diseased and often die of malnutrition. Interesting read."

Good, I hope they all get sick and die. More meat for me.

Ok...here's what my Vegan doctor friend had to stay about this little article.

A vegetarian can eat as badly as anyone else m February 20 2007, 9:01 PM

If you are living on deep fried tofu and drinking lots of Samuel Smith Stouts, even being vegan won't save you.
I'm trying to work out why he thinks that polyunsaturated fats are so unhealthy. while mono-unsaturated is preferable, PUFAs are okay and if you are getting them from vegetable sources you are hardly going to overindulge unless you smother them in butter and margarine.

Soy can be controversial but there is no doubt that in moderation, like anything else, it is a very healthy food stuff. there are groups that may need to stay away from the stuff due to the phytoestrogen issues eg some breast cancer and prostate cancer patients. but for the vast majority of people, weekly soy intake has an inverse relationship to the risk of cancer etc.

Chromium supplementation may be useful for diabetics at least the type 2s who still produce some insulin but the level of evidence is not high enough to make a recommendation for supplementation across the board. Magnesium deficiency may have an impact in NIDDMs too but once again the relationship is not clear. People with bipolar and other psychiatric illness may be a bit lower in Mg but there is no evidence that this is causal. Mental illness causes people to eat crap food and it probably reflects that - an inadequate diet.

My fix for this is telling people where to find chromium and magnesium and the like in normal food stuffs rather than taking tablets.

This article is very anti-vegan and I think encourages bad habits in lacto-ovo vegetarians. A vegan diet IS hard but it can be done properly and there are many examples of very healthy vegans out there.
Even those who do the Raw thing - think the Hallelujah diet - eat about 20% cooked food because there are quite a few things that are toxic raw eg rhubarb.

The ghandi thing? Ghandi recommended the following.

? Diet must include milk and milk products such as curd, butter, ghee. [He apparently used goat's milk in preference to cow's milk]

? Condiments such as chillies, pepper, turmeric, coriander, mustard and fenugreek should be avoided, unless prescribed by a doctor.

? Cereals, specially wheat, should be an important part of the diet. Sieving the flour should be avoided. Prefer unpolished rice to polished rice, which is more nutritious.

? Starchy foods should be eaten in a relatively dry form to ensure greater flow of saliva for mastication.

? People leading sedentary lives can do without pulses.

? Fresh leafy vegetables should be taken everyday.

? Daily diet should include seasonal fruits. The best time for taking fruits is early in the morning.

? Food should also have a certain amount of fat. It can be obtained from ghee or oil. Oil is not as nourishing as pure ghee.

? Although sweet fruits supply plenty of sugar, there is no harm in taking one or two ounces of sugar, brown or white, in a day.

? Avoid taking tea or coffee.

I notice that the links he provides link to mercola.com. This is one of the most biased pseudoscientific websites I have EVER come across. It's also a favourite of the scientifically illiterate.

And here's what my vegan Professor friend had to say.....

Some info from various sources (had to go look some of this up so that I wouldn't just be talking out of my own knowledge )

"Many people, eating a vegetarian diet are convinced that it's very healthy, but in the end they suffer from depression, overweight and most other modern diseases."

Dickerson & Davies (1986) studied matched pairs of vegetarians and non-vegetarians with regard to their general health. It was found that the vegetarians made 22% of the visits to hospital out-patients of non-vegetarians, and spent a similarly reduced proportion of time in hospital.

Vegetarians have less coronary heart disease death (Key et al, 1999), reduced blood pressure problems (Margetts, 1986), less type II diabetes (Snowdon, 1985), lower rates of cancer mortality (Thorogood, 1994; Phillips, 1975; Willett, 1990, Chen, 2002), fewer gall bladder issues (Pixley, 1985), less osteoporosis (Abelow, 1992).

"Most vegetarian diets also lack fat content and the fat they do eat are unhealthy poly-unsaturated (vegetable) fats."

Vegetarians can easily get plenty of fat, even vegans can. Saturated fats and transfats are the worst fats. Sat. fats are primarily found in animal products (eggs, butter, cheese, whole milk), and in coconut, palm, and palm kernel oil. Trans fats are in processes stuff like margarine and crackers. Vegetarians and vegans can easily eat unsaturated fats like canola oil, olive oil, flax seed oil, nuts, avocado, soy products, and nut butters.

"You will need to eat more fats: Raw butter and cream are the best."
Raw diet does not typically include butter or cream. And these items are very high in cholesterol.

"Cold pressed Virgin Olive oil, and coconut oil come in second. Raw nuts also contain healthy fats."

Ok, but, he just said that vegetarians don't eat healthy fats. Most veg. folks do eat olive oil and nuts, and some eat coconut oil as well (though the jury is still out on that one).

"What did Gandhi eat ? He ate eggs, cheese, cream, butter and nuts."

Well, kind of. Ghandi was a vegan for a while, then went to goats milk. He also emphasized wheat, and rice, and then fruits and vegetables. He advocated raw foods at times, but at other times in his life, not so much. It was about simplicity, not just health.

As far as soybeans go, yes, they too much soy is not a good idea. Too much anything is not a good idea. I would not recommend eating a brick of tofu a day, but most vegetarians don't.

"No animal in nature develops cancer, diabetes, overweight, etc in the ratio's we humans do on our "healthy" modern diet. The main difference is that animals in the wild eat all foods raw and unrefined and we are eating everything cooked and as refined possible."

I think that is an oversimplification of things, but sure, we are too far from nature for our own good with regard to food issues, but we also aren't dying due to as many nutrition problems as we used to "before." And, we are far from nature in a lot of ways, not just food... I suspect that the person writing this article (typing away on his computer) isn't ready to give up the electric that also causes cancer and depletes the ozone.... or the deoderizers etc. that may be impacting our homones, etc.

>"Vegetarians who don't eat eggs and
>other animal bi-products like butter
>and cream are diseased and
>often die of malnutrition. Interesting
>read."
>
>Good, I hope they all get
>sick and die. More meat
>for me.

Not that this even deserves a response because it is a horrible thing to say about any person, but you're an idiot if you think you don't have all the meat already. They're VEGANS, dumba&&.

Hey Eel, I've got some "home grown" salami for ya!!
Of course being a vegan is unhealthy. Take one look at those human buggy whips and the last thing to cross your mind will be damn, that guy looks fit!
Now shut up on the whole meat thang! I am stuck at home with only chicken bakes for grub! Oh, wait, I have a brand new bag of beef jerky! Nevermind, I'm good!
Eric

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

? Starchy foods should be eaten in a relatively dry form to ensure greater flow of saliva for mastication.

Did the author mean mastication????

Ive got some salami for you to "masticate"!!! Excuse me while I go masticate with a banana!
Eric

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

>>"Vegetarians who don't eat eggs and
>>other animal bi-products like butter
>>and cream are diseased and
>>often die of malnutrition. Interesting
>>read."
>>
>>Good, I hope they all get
>>sick and die. More meat
>>for me.
>
>Not that this even deserves a
>response because it is a
>horrible thing to say about
>any person, but you're an
>idiot if you think you
>don't have all the meat
>already. They're VEGANS, dumba&&.
>

HAHA, she said ass. How cute

Geez, someone took this one a little personal, never would have thought on a hunting web site... Just speaking from personal experience...

All I have to say on the subject is....

GOOD-HELK EEL!!!! 1800 POUNDS OF SALAMI?????

My daughter... after working fer Taco Hell... is going through the "vegy" stage.

I am calmly 'an quitely supporting her decision, even bought her boca(er whatever it is) veggi burgers...

I keep waiving venison tenderlion under her nose... it's only a mater of time. He he he he he...(evil laugh...)

Well *I* didn't take the whole topic and the article you posted personally. Just knew I could offer you another point of view. If the people who wrote the responses took it personally, well...that's their deal, but I'm thinking they get questioned about their choices quite regularly. moneyman's post though? That was just idiotic and a horrible thing to say. Nothing to do with your original post though.

Anyway...and you know this better than anyone else, Dman, just because it's a hunting website doesn't mean noone is going to challenge things you post. In this case, that article didn't seem quite right so I consulted some experts I know. If you want to read what they said...great, if not...I couldn't care less. The other POV just adds to a good discussion, IMO.

Personally, I don't think I could ever go vegan. Although, I will admit, meat kinda grosses me out sometimes, but I work through it. LOL Meat is GOOD...although I can't cut up chicken and still eat it...the smell is just gaggy (so I make my husband do that). I think it all comes from not being able to eat meat when I was pregnant though. When I was pg with my 3rd child I worked in a restaurant where we served prime rib every Friday night and when I started eating salad on Friday nights instead of a big ol' slab of prime rib (one of my favorite things in the world), I knew something was wrong. LOL

I was just speaking from personal experience, though the article has some information I didn't know. I've had several family members, or acquaintances try to go strictly vegetarian with no meat and not one of them could keep it up for any length of time without getting sick. There's also the fat factor, you need at least a minimal fat layer to protect your organs, the people I knew who were really in to being vegetarian, bruised really easy and broke bones when they fell down (my mom's cousin only in his 30's). He's a good guy, I don't think less of anyone who's vegetarian, my main point was that our physiology (teeth, digestive system) isn't designed for strictly eating only fruits and vegetables, the main reason I feel we hunt. It's like the Red Deer in Ireland last year who were found to be killing thousands of nesting shore birds and eating them because the grasses they we're eating were found to be extremely deficient in calcium. Their bodies told them they needed to find another source of calcium...

D

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-07 AT 02:47PM (MST)[p]give it a couple of months and there'll be a study contradicting this one...who do we believe,

I know a woman who cured herself from breast cancer by eating a vegan diet and drinking a ton of water...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom