The worst units to deer hunt in AZ?

quest

Very Active Member
Okay, so we've talked about the top ten units. Does anyone care to share their opinions on the worst units around these parts? Like I said before...I've only lived here a while and am still learning the area. I'd appreciate any and all input.

Quest

I'm not sure if they qualify as the worst units but unit 17a and 17b have really dropped off the map IMO. I used to hunt these units and see 50 - 100 deer a day with some decent bucks thrown in for good measure. I have hunted these units since the late 70's and they are nothing like they used to be. I had a rifle deer tag in 17a last year and I saw a total of 13 deer while I was out hunting. I hunted a wilderness area for 3 days and saw one spike and a forky with one side missing.

I would bet this is due to factors such as drought and lions. I still like the units but I sure wish they would rebound. Things started changing noticibly about 10-15 years ago. Other mule deer units are going through the same thing.

I would like to see more controlled burns too.

I gotta agree.It's some of the best looking country with no deer. Back in the day there was deer every where and now its only decent pig hunting.

From what I understand the bowhunt on the kaibab, until this year was about the worst hunt in arizona. It was a zoo. Buddies would see people with seats in the back of the pickup with archers in the back driving the roads. It got to be a bit of a joke. I think they even ran into the intelligent vernon guy with a bow made out of beer cans. Hopefully, with a draw it will be better.

T

uh huh that real funny, real funny. Where you from boy, thats what I thought.

huntazido man thats a big drop in deer in a day. I hunted 18b and found about the same thing. Man...I got lucky with the Lords help! I know there are big bucks out there but are becoming fewer and farther between. I wish I could have seen those good old days!

huntazido, where you from? I have been hunting these units since I was old enought to hunt small game and I see the same thing you do. There are still some good ones but hard to find. I think the drought had a good bit to do with it as well, but from what I can tell the drop in deer numbers has leveled out the last couple years. Congratulations again on that Toad Quest! Where you plan on applying for this year?

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
funny_new_46.gif

Man if that thing had some teeth on it...it would be scary Fugitive! I put in for that ride along program with the biologist/game warden in Unit 42. I just got cleared to go along...so I plan on checking the country over. I was really interested in Unit 16. I haven't made up my mind yet. Thanks again Fugitive for the info/help. Couldn't have caught the Toad without ya.

Quest

Fugitive, I am from the NW valley now. My best friend in HS (Paradise Valley) got me started into hunting in 1978 and the first place his dad took me was on a rifle deer hunt in 17a. We used to camp along walnut creek and hunt the surrounding mtns. You may have seen us over the years because we used to take the horses and camp by the coral just after you crossed the creek. We haven't taken the horses in about 7-8 years though.

We also archery hunted a lot around skull valley in 17b. We would take the powerline road in and be into deer all day long. We rarely hunted together after we left camp. We would all go in a different direction and meet back up whenever. No radios, cell phones, atv's or good boots. Just a strong will to chase mule deer. To this day, the biggest deer I have ever seen were in 17B during December archery deer hunts. HUGE deer!

Quest, you said you wish you would have been around for those good ol' days? I'm happy to say I enjoyed the hell out of it. Sure brings back great memories. When we were in HS we would leave every friday after school and not come back until Sunday night. We didn't have the greatest gear but we didn't know any different. We usually slept in our bags under the stars and fell asleep talking about what everybody else in town was missing. We never got anything with our bows but man did we have fun. Kept us out of trouble too.

Not sure that I have seen you huntaz I usually hunt over closer to Yolo's and 7up ranches in 17A, and on the other side of 17B. I have lived in Bagdad my whole life and have been hunting there for years.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
funny_new_46.gif

Units 29 and 30A a guy could get rich selling no hunting and no trespassing signs.

My vote has to go to Unit 18A, where the hunt success goes from single digits to 15% on a good year!

To me the guys who have 18A deer tags have some pretty expensive camping permits!

Now before I get beat up about this post, I know there are boomers taken every year in that unit. I'm just saying for the "average" guy, that unit is tough!

Just my opinion and I've lived in Kingman for 35 years!

Don Martin

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom