The Zeiss Conquest

R

RANGERCON

The Zeiss Conquest is after several reviews by myself and other more knowledgeable gentlemen, the best hunting scope in it's class right now.

The specs on the Conquest rival that of high dollar Euro glass.

The specs on the Conquest are VERY close to the specs on the vaunted Zeiss VM/V or Diavari.
Field of view and a little less weight are the only real differences. Oh, and about $600.00!!

For those interested in getting a great scope, but can't afford the high end Euro's, the Zeiss Conquest is for you!!
A 3-9x40 can be had for the frugal shopper, for around $350.00 online.

I agree. I compared the conquest to the Burris and the VX III side by side in the evening and there was no comparison. I got mine for $359 online.

WH

love mine. the only thing i would change is the plastic turret caps. other than that it is like you say a fine scope for the money.

jason

Jason, you touched on a real turn off for me as well. I have actually emailed Zeiss about this.

Plastic turret caps, are deplorable to me as well. Bad idea!!

Bought mine back in Jan. at A Sports Show for $399.95 + tx this was the same price as Cabela's at the time.
Since then, Cabela's has gone up to $429 or $439 don't remember.
Great scope and good price.

Brian

Brian, I have on occasion seen 3-9's for around $350 online.
Which makes them a steal!!

I almost bought one, but thankfully the one in the store I went to was gone. Ended up with a Leupold 4-12 VX-2. Have since compared them side by side mounted on Ultra Mags. As you guys have said, there was no comparison. Only the one I'm talking about doesn't have plastic turret caps. The whole Conquest seems plasticky. If they are to enter the "affordable" area for the American scope buyer, they need to go back to the drawing board. I think alot of them sell because they are "european". My rifle isn't, and neither is my scope. mtmuley

I'M WITH YOU MTMULEY. I HAVE LOOKED AT THE CONQUEST VERY HARD,NOT OVERLY IMPRESSED. I WENT WITH BEDROCK PROVEN QUALITY.. I BOUGHT LEUPOLD ALSO. TAKE ER EASY, YD.

Well, "the drawing board", as you say, has Leupold VXIII's copying the Conquest. It's a Conquest clone!

Pull up finger turrets
Euro quick focus eye piece
Supposed better glass

The VariX's didnt have that.

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

I'm glad you like your Loopies.

Exactly!! So much for "bed rock proven quality"..LOL

Still using wire reticles on the "new and improved VX line"?? Cutting edge technology!! LOL About 20 years ago!

RANGERCON, No offense was intended on my part. I like cutting edge tech as much as the next guy. That's why I shoot an Ultra Mag. But I know people that have had "Loopies" on rifles for 20 years or so, with many brutal hunts and sometimes mounted on brutal rifles. No letdowns. The Conquest is probably a fine scope, but in the circle of hard-core, never quit, tough ass hunters I know, it just is not proven. And as I said, it feels a lot less "substantial" than a Leupold. You can argue the quality glass part all you want. That is purely a personal choice gained by actually looking through the glass. A good way to judge the reputation of Leupold is to look at what custom gunmakers mount. I have. mtmuley

MM, I should have just shut up. I'm not offended. hope I didnt offend anyone else, including Yukon.

I'm seriously glad you like your Leupold's. I'm not that crazy about them, but to each his own.

I hear custom gunmakers like Leupold's. And they should. Good eye relief, great CS, etc.

Gunmakers stick with them because Loopie held the high ground in optics for a long time. And gunmakers are like everyone else, they hate change.

But, there are a lot that love the Euro's too.

RANGERCON, I like to say, "that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla." Also, I always enjoy conversation with you. Like ideas or not. It makes the forums more interesting when a disagreement or two pops up. mtmuley

With a name like someburro, sounds like you may already have. Any burro or someburro special to you? mtmuley

I've always liked the optical quality of Zeiss scopes (I own a couple pairs of their binos), but I've not been impressed with their mechanical quality. In the worst case I'm aware of, a buddy bought a Zeiss scope and couldn't get it zeroed. I put a boresighter on it and the crosshairs would stick and then jump when the turrets were turned. I spoke with a couple of custom gunmakers and they had experienced mechanical problems with Zeiss scopes as well. As one guy said, "I may be able to see a deer in low light, but if I can't hit it, what good is it?" I, too, have opted for mechanical quality and dependability and compromised a bit on brightness.

Venado muy grande!

I'm curious if your friend sent the scope back to Zeiss to be repaired? And if so, was he satisfied with the results?
I assume this was a Conquest? A Diavari?

I have actually had a Zeiss Conquest fail, due to recoil. My scope was replaced, very nicely I might add, within a few days.

Scopes fail...Thats a fact of life. Someone has said that he knows of more Leupold scopes to fail than any other make. I said that is a reasonable statement, as there are more Leupolds around than any other make. No rocket science or quantum physics there...LOL

I have always been more impressed with the way a manufacturer handled problems, than with the initial problem itself. To a point.

I still say the Zeiss Conquest is the best scope in it's class.
By that I mean best value.
I realize that this is my opinion.

But, you would have to pay a lot more money to get a MUCH improved scope. And it's not the best hunting scope I have ever owned. That award goes to the great Schimdt and Bender Co.

The best scope I have ever seen, owned, looked through is a US Optics SN-3. No contest!! It's my pride and joy.

While I don't claim to be a expert, I have earned a pretty expensive education by purchasing 5 to 6 scopes of differant makes a year and reviewing them.

Rangercon,
Nice to see Zeiss step up to the plate to fix your problem quickly and without charge. That shows that they have learned a thing or two in the last 10 years. Their products have always been good but their service used to leave a lot to be desired.
All my guns have Leupold or Swarovski glass on them. I saw too many issues with Zeiss wanting to charge for repairs so that pushed me away about 10 years ago. I think Swarovski's and Leupolds service policy made them step up to the plate. One of my hunting buddies has one of their 3x12x56 scopes on a rifle and let me tell you when that sun starts going down he just starts to grin. It's a great scope.

Boskee,
They were extremely nice.

I have had the fortune or misfortune, to try out a lot of companies CS dept.

At any given time, I have one or more rifles, scopes, etc., in for repairs. This includes big name gun/scope makers.

I'm the guy they tell, "Gee, we have never seen one do that before!" Or "It did what??" LOL

That actually happened yesterday when my Bushmaster Anniversary Edition carbine cracked the receiver between the ejection port and the brass deflector! CS guy for Bushmaster was in kind of a fog when I told him that.

Only 2 scopes I have owned, did not have to go back to it's point of origin.
Nikon and Schmidt and Bender.

The US Optics scope went back too. It had a piece of lint hanging on the inside at about the 11:00 position.
The president of USO told me to "Beat it on a table's edge real hard until it lets go." It didn't, and he told me to send it back.
5 days later, it was returned from California in perfect condition.

Rangercon,
I like you have had a few manufacturing miracles as I call them I had a redfield scope 2x8 that was on a 270 and that thing worked like a champ for about two years. One day I went to the range to shoot, sat down and shot a group that was at least 15" center to center. Really something to be proud of! So then I did the normal things made sure my rings were tight, made sure the barrel wasn't fouled, crown was ok, made sure the bedding screws weren't to tight, and made sure I had the right handloads. I made sure she was cool and sat to shoot a tight one. My first shot hit 1/2" high at 200 dead at 12:00, the second shot hit 15" to the right, and on the third one as memory serves all hell broke loose. My objective lens flew out of the scope, my tube cracked in half and the screws holding the stadia wires rolled out on the table. Sent that back to redfield and they sent me a new one but they asked me if I was shooting a .378 WBY mag. When I told them a .270 they said ok and that was it. Fortunately this is my only problem involving a scope of my own. So you see it doesn't only happen to you. If it would have been me with the US Optic I'd have put a dent in the tube! I'm gifted that way!

Oh yeah, my high dollar Wilson Combat .45 is back to the gunsmiths tonite too.

Nothing wrong with Mr. Wilson's workmanship, but my ambi safties that were put on by my "smith" (cough, cough) arent functioning properly.

It sucks being a lefty!!!

.378 Weatherby Mag?? No, a .270!! LOL

Rangercon,
Afflicted with the same condition myself and the wifes got it too. Although mine is a left eye dominate issue. Good luck on your safety but I couldn't tell from you post, were you asked to turn your head to cough or was it just natural? Ha Ha I wasn't sure if somebody had you in a death grip hold. Hope all works out with the .45 and good luck in this years hunts.
By the way what do you know about the new improved Leupold scopes this year and that B&C reticle. Thanks Boskee

>Rangercon,
>>By the way what do you
>know about the new improved
>Leupold scopes this year and
>that B&C reticle. Thanks Boskee

I have seen the BC reticle, but not used it. Friends that have used it are very high on it.
I do think that ballistically, they are probably better suited for standard calibers.

As far as the new VX line is concerned, they are a slight improvement from the old VariX line. I say that because that line has been a solid performer for a long time.
Finger pull up turrets, Euro fast focus eyepiece are a welcome change. But still stuck to the wire reticle, instead of a laser etched reticle, like the Conquest. I'm sure that the new VX is a good scope, but I like the Conquest, if for nothing else, it has a laser etched reticle. Less to go wrong, and doesnt "wash out" as easily as a wire.

The VX is a little lighter, I believe. I like the fixed eye relief that the Conquest offers, and never thought that the variable ER on the Loopies was all that keen.

Some like vanilla, some like chocolate. Leupold has a lot to offer too.
But, I believe that the Conquest offers a lot of the same goodies that have been reserved for the high end Euro scopes, for a fraction of the cost....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom