They're lying to us about the wolves!

tega52

I'll start this by saying I used to come down to guide hunts in the Gila alot about 10 years ago. Decided to do a hunt in unit 15 this year. 10 years ago it was RARE, super RARE to see a wolf. Now these pricks are everywhere! Yesterday we had hunters at 2 different tanks, 5 miles apart...both had wolves come in at almost the exact same time (different wolves). Today I had a guy on a tank and he had 4 wolves come into a tank 10 miles away. These bastards are everywhere! They say there's 200-300 between NM and AZ. There is no way this is right. I know NMDGF monitors this sight, tell me I'm wrong.

I'll start this by saying I used to come down to guide hunts in the Gila alot about 10 years ago. Decided to do a hunt in unit 15 this year. 10 years ago it was RARE, super RARE to see a wolf. Now these pricks are everywhere! Yesterday we had hunters at 2 different tanks, 5 miles apart...both had wolves come in at almost the exact same time (different wolves). Today I had a guy on a tank and he had 4 wolves come into a tank 10 miles away. These bastards are everywhere! They say there's 200-300 between NM and AZ. There is no way this is right. I know NMDGF monitors this sight, tell me I'm wrong.
Heard them in a different Gila unit Thursday

Wife and I ran into 3-5 different wolves last year. I will no longer hunt the Gila because if that. I have a friend who lives in that area he no longer has any sheep, goats or chickens left. This wolves aren’t afraid of humans.

You're right Tega
It's been awhile since I've been down there hunting personally, but the last time I was in that unit I had a wolf pass me by chasing a calf at 10 yds.
It broke off the chase when it saw me. So I saved that calf's life that day there were 2 more coming behind it soon after. There's more wolves and lions than anyone thinks.

My dog was attacked by a mature mountain lion not 100 yards out my front door.
I scared the lion off of her at about 10 feet. She's going to be alright.
Good luck on the hunt call me.

278.jpeg

279.jpeg

I ran on to some wolfs in unit 13 4 years ago near Datal. They are far more then they say and there in more areas then they like to say to.

Say it ain't so!

I saw one in San Pedro Parks (Jemez) in 2021. Couldn't possibly be a wolf they said--probably a hybrid of a coyote and a domestic dog...

Boy--don't I feel stupid...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Say it ain't so!

I saw one in San Pedro Parks (Jemez) in 2021. Couldn't possibly be a wolf they said--probably a hybrid of a coyote and a domestic dog...

Boy--don't I feel stupid...:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Is there a limit on hybrids?.
Thats what I asked CPW in 1986 or so when I told them where I saw wolves not far above the boarder.

So when they say 200-300 they ( the feds) are talking about documented wolves, the ones with collars. No telling how many un collared are running around. Dam sure more than they used to be and they are fixing to explode, they will be everywhere unless the good people do what need to be done

Its the US Fish & Wildlife who manages wolves , not the NM fish and game , but otherwise Id agree with you .There are far more and they are hammering the wildlife and livestock within the Gila.

Same for a friend in Quemado , he lost 8 calves in one night and 5 others throughout calving season. He had 24 bred cows and lost 13 to them pukes! Th USFW officer there has to "inspect" the carcasses to prove it was wolves and new born calves there isnt much body at birth anyhow so they would rule out bear even though there was wolf tracks . His restitution wouldnt be paid for all 13 calves killed. ITS horse $hit how these wolves have been re-introduced and given a pass at every obstacle. Livestock and wildlife have no chance!

my good friend has an all private land ranch near Pie Town, NM. he lost seven calves and one mother cow last month alone. all to wolves.
My family used to own what is now Moreno Ranch East (probably West too, if there was such a thing). My uncles told everal stories about the wolves in Northern NM.

I Turkey hunted solo 2 Springs ago , and one night they had my tent surrounded . Sounded like 4-6 of them . 5-6 miles down the road several were seen by a couple I talked too. This was 16 A up towards Continental Divide. I was ready to shoot. There is a ton of them . Really Sad .......................BULL!

My Buddy was hunting elk in Unit 51, late Oct in 2018 and swears that he saw a wolf. Said it was red it color and way bigger then a coyote. I think they are more prevalent then we are being told.

Was hunting in unit 62 in the 2000's. We had some guys from Michigan camped next to us around 2006. They told us they saw 3 wolves. They told the DOW about it and they said it was just big coyotes. They just laughed and said they were from Michigan and they know the difference between a wolf and a coyote.

Edit: We were in Colorado. The same excuse from G&F still applies.

Was hunting in unit 62 in the 2000's. We had some guys from Michigan camped next to us around 2006. They told us they saw 3 wolves. They told the DOW about it and they said it was just big coyotes. They just laughed and said they were from Michigan and they know the difference between a wolf and a coyote.

Edit: We were in Colorado. The same excuse from G&F still applies.
Their excuse to me, going back to the late 80s, was that it must be hybrids. My reply to them was to indicate my joy that there was no limit on hybrids.

No limit on big coyotes either.

The problem is that usually when I see a "hybrid" or a "large coyote" I'm either unarmed, or I don't want to spook everything else out of the territory by taking a shot. It's very frustrating...

The problem is that usually when I see a "hybrid" or a "large coyote" I'm either unarmed, or I don't want to spook everything else out of the territory by taking a shot. It's very frustrating...
Did you see any on your long walk?

Tis better to spook in the short term and kill a wolf, than to not spook and let the wolf eat all those you sought not to spook.

Did you see any on your long walk
I didn't see any in NM, CO, WY, or ID. I did see a pack of two adults and about five or six pups (never held still long enough for me to get an exact count) in MT in Glacier National Park. They were howling and at first I thought it was some humans messing around until I actually saw them. I watched them for quite awhile before trying to do my own lame howl back at them. As soon as I did that they all went silent and disappeared into the timber.

Be sure the hybrid you're about to eradicate isn't wearing a collar...

Just wait and see what the Jicarilla or SUIT does when it's found on their land. Can you imagine the s#*t that will explode when this she-wolf goes under the fence of the Horse Lake Mesa game park and is found eating a 400" bull or 215" mule deer...

Gee. What a surprise all this is. If you want the script just go back a few years in Idaho. NM and AZ will read the same. Soon you’ll be able to kill all you want. But it’ll be too late. The good news is your town parks and golf course should be full of elk soon. If you’re good you can get a birdie and a bull on the same hole. ?

Gee. What a surprise all this is. If you want the script just go back a few years in Idaho. NM and AZ will read the same. Soon you’ll be able to kill all you want. But it’ll be too late. The good news is your town parks and golf course should be full of elk soon. If you’re good you can get a birdie and a bull on the same hole. ?
Yep they chasing them all in town. already hammering Gila in NM. and unit 27 and 1 in AZ. Sad. Lying BaZterds. But we knew it, Nothing we could do,,,, SSS...............................BULL!

"These lands provide connectivity corridors..." senator Heinrich.

"Is the best of the free life behind us now?
And are the good times really over for good?"

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom