Things you do that show you're "old school"

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I still pay bills through the mail. Stamps and envelopes.

I still listen to music on records and a turn table.

I change my own oil.

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

EEL, good one.

I heat with wood, so I cut, split and stack a lot of wood. I cut my own meat. I change my oil. I load all of my non rimfire ammo. I'm the only one that messes with my wife and she's the only one that messes with me.

My wife and I just built a 30X32 metal building by ourselves. I pretty much do all of our construction stuff.

We don't eat out a lot, we cook at home because we like our rural spot and don't see a need to drive 50 miles for a meal.

I have not been to a movie theater in 5 years. I'd rather sit on a hill and look at wildlife.

We got to bed at 9 and get up at 4:30(usually).

And I clean my own damned chimneys. I hate that.

When I cook outside, I do it on a wood-fired open pit I built in our yard where I use my grandfather's 100 year old cast iron griddle. No gas, no briquettes, just hand split wood.

Burn my trash. Heat my house with free job site scrap lumber (propane bill was $75 last year to heat and cook). Change my own oil and most vehicle maintenance. I raise and butcher 75 chickens a year keeping 25 to eat my table scraps and provide me and others with eggs. I usually put a deer and elk I shot and butchered, in the freezer with those chickens and 1/2 a hog my friends kids raise for 4h so I seldom eat out. I built pole barns alone for a couple years and couldn't believe how many people were surprised 1 person could build one alone, nobody works in this country anymore. I'd frame houses alone if builders didn't think they needed em done yesterday. Trim the feet of my horses and mule myself. Sure there's plenty of other things I do that some would think are old school that I just assume are normal.

I sight my rifle in at 100 yards.

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

Both my vehicles are pickups, over 30 years old.

I still hunt bucks with a rifle i bought in 1969

I don't need to kill a deer or catch a fish, it's getting out there, and all that entails, that's important to me.

I've never owned a cell phone, GPS, ATV, or a scope with a turret.

To me, a hand shake is as good as a signed contract.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I never use "yada, yada, yada" in a sentence...except right now.

I turn the light off when I leave the room...even if I'm going back in there in a few minutes.

I have fires every night in the winter time...even when it's 65 degrees out. I just love the feel of it.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-15 AT 09:00PM (MST)[p]We built our log home ourselves. I did all the electrical, plumbing, sheetrock and cabinets myself. The rest we had some family and friends help on and off. It was a kit not from scratch. Do all the repairs to it also. Sorry Sage! Do all the service to our vehicles and all the repairs I can figure out. Reload rifle and pistol ammo. I'm in Maintenance at our local High School, so any maintenance around here is done by me. Sometimes I wish I was just filthy rich and could pay someone else to do most of this stuff. But I will never be so I'm thankful I can do it.
Also still married to my first wife, almost 35 years and plan on it being forever.

you fellas covered a lot already, I am rather young compared to some (37) but hand shakes are a "deal", wave at strangers when I pass them on the road, hold doors open for strangers, remodel my own house, even though a lot of it I never did before. Just started tearing it apart and learn as I go.
oh and teaching my kids respect.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I have been married to my wonderful wife 39 years.

I still hunt out of my cj5 I bought in 1978.

My hand shake in the same as a written contract!

I cut my own animals.

I smoke my own fish and game.

I make my own sausage.

I am polite to women.

I sometime hunt black tail deer with a 25-35 savage with a 4 power weaver dot scope.

I am honest.

I have been married to the same lady for 52+ years - still walk when I hunt - have used the same rifle (30-06 Remington 721) for 30+ years - I did upgrade to a 3/9 scope when the ole weaver 3x crystalized - like the old retro machines - my truck is a 1992 Chev 4WD and I own and ride two motorcycles (1968 Norton and 1966 Yamaha) can afford newer but like the feel of the road - being a veteran, I still salute the flag and attend memorial services - I vote at elections - love my country -

I have been married to my first wife for 33 years.

Although I use credit cards extensively to get the cash rewards but I always carry a couple hundred dollars cash with me.

I never leave the house without my wallet.

If I pay bills I use a stamp and envelope.

I have never owned an ATV.

I also vote in every election even if I'm sure my candidate is going to lose.

I say thank you when someone does something for me.

Yup, many of those things I still do also except I only use the radio to listen to music. My 8 track tape deck is broken and I can't fix it. My James Taylor tape is waiting but I fear it will never get used again!

If I ever had someone else change the oil in my cars, my wife would think something it very wrong. I've done it for all my 62 years and no reason to stop now.

Some things are done with great personal satisfaction rather than just duty.

Old school,
Zeke

I still think the Chicago Cubs could win a World Series in my life time.

Eel

Many of the things that have been mentioned above.
Never owned an ATV
Same rifle for 30+ years
Hand load
Burn firewood
Change own oil
But the one thing Really notice that's considered Old Scholl is when I go drag race, I still run a 4 speed transmission and usually do pretty damn good.

When You tell the Dodge Dealer/Salesman when you find me a CUMMINS with a 6 Speed Stick with 4:10 Gears make sure & call me back!

Haven't heard a word from him!

When other MM'ers tell you,you must be a PISS POOR Hunter because you never Post any Pic's!

When you're the only ##### in the World that is not a FaceBooker!

If I wanted the Whole Wide World to know If,when & Where I was gonna take a Piss I'd probably become a FaceBooker!

Just not my style!

Sorry,Today was not the Best Day I ever seen in My Day!

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

If you know how to double clutch and still do so. Drove the silage truck this morning, She needs the double clutch.

Beanman - I had an ole 47 Chevrolet that you needed to double clutch, also had the dimmer switch on the floorboard - dad farmed on a piece of ground outside Arvada - planted celery with a forked stick and blanched the celery by digging a trench and wrapping the celery in newspaper and waiting for the first frost. Boy that was the ole days - couldn't even farm there now due to the subdivisions. I also have spent a lot of time in Unit 61 - took a couple of bulls out of there. I think you and I are neighbors - love to shop talk if you are ever in Cedaredge = This posting probably should be a private email. Oh well -

>I still wipe with a Sears
>Roebuck catalog.
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I'm Callin Bull Butter!

T'was the Special Socks Red gave you for Christmas!

Did you Forget already?

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

yes !!change own oil in my truck, smash beer cans with one hand, cook by fire outdoors,hunt barebow archery,fletch own arrows, pay bills on time,drink 2% 1/2 gallon of milk a day,Im a butt man to the ladys ..they cant see behind them :) how do u like me now !

I might get new boots but i always replace the strings with leather.

the old brown Fenwick glass fishing rods do me just fine.

i still tell people that if they don't blow smoke in my face, i won't spit chew in theirs.

i believe that if it isn't mine, it belongs to someone else.

I wouldn't think of leaving the house without a SHARP pocket knife in my pocket.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I'm 37, I dont wear a flatty, I always wear boots. Ive processed my game animals and other hunters animals since i was 18. I own a 78 ford, and can fix it when she dont want to run. I shoot my bow instinctively. There is more,but I'm more proud of my 2 kids, always wanting to be with me when I go huntin n fishin. I own a 300 win mag i bought in 1998 with a 3x9x44 tasco world class scope, cause thats all i could afford to put on the rifle at the time. That gun has harvested a lot of animal's for me. The scope has never failed me yet. I despise facebook. Ive been a MM member since 2000, and dont post much.

>I still use my blinkers, and
>my phone lays on the
>seat while I drive.

So?

Is your Blinker a Hand out the Window?

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

Me and my family day Grace before dinner, wether we are home or in a restaurant.

We stand, take are hats off, and put are hand over are hearts when the national anthem is played.

Wouldn't dream of having someone cut my elk meat for me.

Still believe I can manage to kill animals without wearing sitka or kuiu clothing.

Wool is my hunting clothing of choice.

I split my own firewood with an axe or maul...gotta keep in shape for throwin' sticks at the grouse for an evening meal out in the brush....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom