thinking about moving to CDA area..both retired

coues52

wife and I are ready for change and so far really like the greater CDA area but concerned about the winters..both enjoy fishing ,camping and I enjoy hunting..are the winters really that different than salt lake city Utah..need to be close to health care so that's why CDA area..

I don't have that much experience with the salt lake area winters, but from the time I have spent in each you will get more snow in CDA. Boise would be a good compromise but then again it's starting to get a little crowded for my taste

CDA will have quite a bit more snow and gray weather in the winter. Summers are about as good as you can get in the NW.

If you love the outdoors Lewiston is a far better choice in my opinion. Cheaper housing, better hiking, better mule deer, better whitetail, more elk, and better fishing, dworshak can't be beat when it comes to fishing in the Pacific North west. If you weren't retired i would say CDA would be a better choice because it's an easy commute to spokane for better wages.

how are the medical hospitals in Lewiston area. Wife & I both have med issues I have type 1 diabetes & she has RA and early stages of COPD ( never smoked )..sounds great with the better hunting there.... if I remember home of Jack O Conner..also the cheaper housing is a plus...any other thoughts ..Danny

Much better medical facilities in Spokane, than anywhere else in the inland northwest. Winters are much harder than SLC. It is a wetter snow, coupled with lots of grey days, that keeps the snow around. It isn't like the snow gets all that deep (usually), but it lingers and the temps are considerably lower than SLC.

In SLC the sunny days in the winter really help, and the snow disappears more quickly. Of course there is even better medical care in SLC, but it sounds like you know that.

CDA is still a middle sized town, with generally lower costs of living, and close enough to Spokane to use the hospitals and the airport for travel. Great place to spend the summer, but most retired people who have the means snow bird further south in the winter.

Bill

CDA has experienced growth it wasn't prepared for, traffic is crazy anymore. Humanity everywhere.
I'm thankful to live 70 minutes away in remote country, it feels like 4 hours.

For people used to 'city life' it will likely do just fine.

>Much better medical facilities in Spokane,
>than anywhere else in the
>inland northwest. Winters are much
>harder than SLC. It is
>a wetter snow, coupled with
>lots of grey days, that
>keeps the snow around. It
>isn't like the snow gets
>all that deep (usually), but
>it lingers and the temps
>are considerably lower than SLC.
>
>
>In SLC the sunny days in
>the winter really help, and
>the snow disappears more quickly.
>Of course there is even
>better medical care in SLC,
>but it sounds like you
>know that.
>
>
>CDA is still a middle sized
>town, with generally lower costs
>of living, and close enough
>to Spokane to use the
>hospitals and the airport for
>travel. Great place to spend
>the summer, but most retired
>people who have the means
>snow bird further south in
>the winter.
>
>Bill

Well described, Bill.

I live just north of cda. Winters are long, population is growing at an alarming rate. Housing prices going thru the roof. Its pretty much california up here. All that they are running away from, they are just creating up here. Pretty funny.

that what usually happens.. trying to turn the new place into what they left...biggest concern is good Dr.s esp for the wife..heard that Washington is just another northern cali with high taxes..retired being priced out..not rich but no poor either..where you talking about sandpoint /sagle area ?

Sandpoint/Sagle get more snow and rain than CDA so it depends how much weather plays into your decision. They?re about 45 minutes to CDA and an hour fifteen or so from Spokane. Sandpoint has a hospital but I'm not sure if it's meet your needs or not. There are snow belts in the area that can get quite a bit more snow than surrounding areas yet only be 15 to 20 miles away.

CDA is indeed a very nice area, but because of that has also seen significant growth as has been mentioned. It's a busy place with many amenities such as restaurants, shopping, rec centers etc, if those are things on your list.
I'm not sure how significant the medical needs are, but there are certainly medical services with hospitals in CDA, Lewiston, and even in between them at Moscow/Pullman.
Of these areas, Lewiston will give you the best winters... river bottom elevation here and often snow up top with rain in the valley, and still a small town atmosphere. Can get pretty hot in the summer though...
Don't forget Moscow/Pullman area... a nice area with two fairly large universities. Busy when school is in, but very nice during summer time as the students clear out.
Cheapest housing of these probably Lewiston too...but there is a pulp mill dead center of the valley and well, if the air is right the place does have an um, odor...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom