This looks painful

jarheadhunter

Just got this in an email. Here is what the story reads.

This photo was taken on a cell phone last week after the guy took his friend to Bass Pro Shop to buy his first bow. The clerk was 'assisting' him in zeroing it in, and, after shooting several arrows, making adjustments etc., the clerk accidently handed him an arrow that was too short.
When he drew back, the arrow tip fell down onto his hand and he somehow released it. They rode to the hospital with the bow in his buddy's hand because it impaled his finger also! They are both archery amateurs (I'm thinking the clerk is also?). I don't think the guy who got shot ever had held a bow prior, let alone shoot one...OUCH!

Sorry if it's already been posted.

2374att00002.jpg

That sucks! I worked in an archery shop for 5 years. This can happen if the shop is unorganized, or the staff is not trained (the norm in big box stores.)

We labeled the fletchings on the arrows to prevent this.

This happens a lot more often than you would think. I've seen it happen a couple times. Marvin Carlston (founder of goldtip) has designed and now marketing an archery glove made of kevlar that stops this exact thing from happening.

Ouch!!!

It looks like he must have been trying to shoot an arrow that was too short. Probably drew the arrow back through the rest and it dropped out the back then he fired or let off.

Dang that sucks... I wonder what the check-in nurse at the hospital was thinking when the guy came in carrying a bow like that.

Showed the pic to my wife. She immediately said, "Wow, does he get to keep the bow"?

Whaaaa??

would have been kinda messed up if they made him pay for the bow before leaving the store with the merchendise.

I wonder if it hurt at the time it happened, of if he was in shock? Bet the ride to the ER was painful.

That's going to leave a mark.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Wapitibob, those were my first thoughts too. Maybe it stopped bleeding and they cleaned the wounds up before snapping the picture. The picture makes it appear like the wounds are old but there isn't any swelling to speak of. If it is true It obviously had a field point on it not a BH. Still, it sure gives an archer something to think about. Ouch is right! That will mess up an upcoming hunt for sure.

GBA

Naw look at the inside part of his thumb, you can see a tiny little flap of skin. That and you can see blood underneath the arrow on his finger. My guess is they took the pic at the hospital before they cut it off.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

As bad as that is I would rather have that happen then getting a splintered arrow through my hand.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

That wound isnt going to bleed much until you REMOVE the arrow.Double passthrough,not bad.

Ouch! Had a buddy shoot an arrow that splintered in half upon release, sending carbon splinters through his hand.
You can't expect anything less from the knuckleheads behind the counters at the box stores though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom