This should get interesting

Oh the irony! I think the dwr has told us before than none of these proposals work! Never been a fan of 5 day hunts. What better way to talk the weekend warriors into taking the whole hunt off!

Oh the irony! I think the dwr has told us before than none of these proposals work! Never been a fan of 5 day hunts. What better way to talk the weekend warriors into taking the whole hunt off!
Doesn't matter, you won't get a tag anyway. Unless your a Lifetime license holder.

Most of those units don't have a ton of permits. If it gets good, you won't get to hunt.

A Suffering Deer Herd Headed DownHill/ To HELL If Something SMART Doesn't Start Happening Soon!

Good for the DWR. Why not try something different in a few units? Nothing Utah has tried so far has improved our herd numbers. Moreover, nothing other western states have tried so far has improved herd numbers. What do we have to lose at this point?

Hawkeye

This is awesome news for all the rifle trophy hunters who are lucky enough to draw a 'general' tag every decade or so.

Also more great news for lifetime license holders, landowner tag recipients, auction tag purchasers, and CWMUs.

The other vast majority of hunters lose and I don't see the overall deer herd benefitting much from a few more old bucks running around. ------SS

• Follow recently approved restricted weapons rules, such as no compound archery bows, no inline muzzleloaders and no scopes for muzzleloaders or rifles. This may also reduce the number of bucks harvested.
Interesting. Truly ground breaking.

4pt or better seems rough.
Deciphering between a 2pt and a 3 pt is doable.
Making an average Joe decipher between a 3pt and a 4 pt before shooting is mean in my opinion.

"Nice heavy 28 inch buck grandpa....but your going to jail because it is only a 3pt"
"Why didn't you shoot your first buck Jonny"...."Because I took to long trying to make sure it was actually a 4pt"

Oh, APRs are not about making hunting better for grandpa or the kids.

It’s for the trophy guys that need inches of antler to compensate for…I mean, satiate the drive to hunt.

These APR lovers care nothing about anyone else, just what size of buck they hope to get to chase. Give ‘em what they want! But keep them there forever.

4pt or better seems rough.
Deciphering between a 2pt and a 3 pt is doable.
Making an average Joe decipher between a 3pt and a 4 pt before shooting is mean in my opinion.

"Nice heavy 28 inch buck grandpa....but your going to jail because it is only a 3pt"
"Why didn't you shoot your first buck Jonny"...."Because I took to long trying to make sure it was actually a 4pt"

Maybe people are going to have to actually look at something before they just start blasting. Heaven forbid. lol

Oh, APRs are not about making hunting better for grandpa or the kids.

It’s for the trophy guys that need inches of antler to compensate for…I mean, satiate the drive to hunt.

These APR lovers care nothing about anyone else, just what size of buck they hope to get to chase. Give ‘em what they want! But keep them there forever.
Vanilla
Not a trophy hunter but I really like the APR when I first started hunting it was on a unit with a 3 point or better we had to look at them and sometimes we looked at 30-40 bucks a day that in it’s self was awesome
My first buck was a 16” 4 with my bow I passed on dozens and missed a bunch ( no rangefinder) the experience was and is what I am after not the harvest.
If someone doesn’t want to hunt or take the time to distinguish then they should chose another unit.
I want the experience and share it with others of seeing deer the current state of things in many units is not that
On another note how do I nominate you for the open position on the WB I am impressed with your passion for all things hunting
Thanks for your time

Yeah, we too often paint with a wide brush and I’m guilty of that here. No doubt there are folks like you that are in favor of the APRs that are not necessarily concerned with total size, but want to see more bucks on the horizon. While I think it’s unnecessary myself, it certainly isn’t irrational.

Too many are just wanting trophy hunting for themselves, however, and that irks me. If people want trophy hunting, stick to the LE units.

Yeah, we too often paint with a wide brush and I’m guilty of that here. No doubt there are folks like you that are in favor of the APRs that are not necessarily concerned with total size, but want to see more bucks on the horizon. While I think it’s unnecessary myself, it certainly isn’t irrational.

Too many are just wanting trophy hunting for themselves, however, and that irks me. If people want trophy hunting, stick to the LE units.
Yes if 200” is the goal I agree the LE is what they should focus on. I haven’t shot a “trophy “ in my life but the experiences I’ve had are my trophy. My last buck was a 1
X2 someone had blown his leg off and I put him down that was ten years ago

Ya!

Like How F'N Long In Between Tags Will That Be?

Coming From A Guy That Has A Guaranteed Tag Every F'N Year!(Niller!)

I don’t know that you’ve ever heard me whine about overcrowding. I whine about a lot of crap, but I doubt you’ve ever heard me say that.

And I think you’re safe from me ever being on the Board. I don’t have alphabet soup approval.

Doesn't matter, you won't get a tag anyway. Unless your a Lifetime license holder.

Most of those units don't have a ton of permits. If it gets good, you won't get to hunt.
They are increasing tags on some of the units. Pine valley alone will increase by nearly a thousand tags.

Pay Attention!

Wasn't Me That Said Close Any F'N Thing Down!

You've Heard Me Say For Years Now:

Manage It Properly & Nothing Will Need To Close!

But You're So F'N Afraid That Somebody Might Cut Your Tag You'd Rather Hunt It Down So Bad You'll Have To Close It!

JUDAS!

Are you now worried about drawing tags? I thought we were closing it all down

Shane Idaho has a few two point or least unit on the west side of the state. unit 40, 41, 42 I believe if my memory is right. It has to be a two point or less on one antler. The bucks below would qualify.

61BC839F-4B3F-4C45-B779-1A5CCB5BADE7.jpeg

644B86AB-1AC3-4445-B6EE-0A9ACE4D1313.png

Dave, Did you hunt one of those areas as a family/beginning hunters?
If so, how would you rate your hunt experience?
I did not hunt those units back when I hunted Idaho. I hunted other units including one that was a controlled unit that turned to a general unit and it got shot out within a few years. I also hunted a four point or better unit and they removed the restrictions after I had hunted it for a few years and it got shot out quickly as well. Just like the new any bull units here in Utah that changed from LE to general they attacked a lot of attention the first few years and get shot out quickly. To much attention for me to enjoy my time in the mountains so I go elsewhere. I have only hunted Idaho once in the last decade, it just was not as fun as it was so I moved on. Time and money is more limited these days so out of state hunting is minimal these days and I hunt closer to home. Have fun my friend.

Nice of them to try but let’s be honest vehicles kill more than we shoot and urban sprawl into winter grounds I believe these two are the biggest problems affecting herds
Not accurate.
Wyoming sees about 6000 deer/elk deaths a year due to collisions with vehicles. Hunters kill about 28000 elk and 45000 deer annually.

I doubt those vehicle collision numbers. My clan has killed upwards of 10, without any being reported. I believe two were turned in to the insurance company, so perhaps they provide this highly suspect data to the state. Global warming data is probably more accurate.

But maybe the dude who drives the dumptruck picking up the roadkill really is the missing link to the mule deers survival.

I believe the real number is WAY higher and I’m completely dumbfloundered that more isn’t being done about it. Maybe the auto insurance industry would collapse if they fixed the problem?

Last edited:
“What it’s worth”. In this case it probably wasn’t worth slam’s time.

However, someone could station a biologist at the dump and get some actual data. :unsure:

Wasn’t the state record black bear in UT a couple of decades ago a roadkill bear?

However, someone could station a biologist at the dump and get some actual data. :unsure:

Wasn’t the state record black bear in UT a couple of decades ago a roadkill bear?
How it was explained to me is the county driver pulls a trailer of roadkill over the scales and has it weighed.
It's poor information and vague, but supposedly came from a San Pete County employee.
It doesn't break it down by species, but I would have to assume the bulk would be game animals, mostly deer of course.

None the less, that's a lot of carnage from one little stretch of Utah's highways annually.

How it was explained to me is the county driver pulls a trailer of roadkill over the scales and has it weighed.
It's poor information and vague, but supposedly came from a San Pete County employee.
It doesn't break it down by species, but I would have to assume the bulk would be game animals, mostly deer of course.

None the less, that's a lot of carnage from one little stretch of Utah's highways annually.

I'm not sure that's even the total?

I know a guy that out of high school picked up roadkill in Sanpete a few years back. But it was for a private contractor. Not sure if that's reflected here or not

I'm not sure that's even the total?

I know a guy that out of high school picked up roadkill in Sanpete a few years back. But it was for a private contractor. Not sure if that's reflected here or not
I did ask the DNR why and if a fencing and crossing would ever be done on that highway and I was told it's because the ranchers and farmers won't allow it.
It funnels the deer directly onto private agricultural lands which isn't wanted for obviousreasons.
Made sense.

I did ask the DNR why and if a fencing and crossing would ever be done on that highway and I was told it's because the ranchers and farmers won't allow it.
It funnels the deer directly onto private agricultural lands which isn't wanted for obviousreasons.
Made sense.

I'm sure that's true. I'm sure they believe they own the roadway too.

Not sure why it matters

I question the numbers you have received because whomever was picking up highway kill normally had several dump sites for the carcasses, (this coming from a friend that did it for a short term). He would normally start at one point on a highway and pick up until he was full or drove the needed route for the day and then he would go dump at assigned dump site.
The last few years Ecolife out of Ephraim has had the contract for most of central Utah.

"What it's worth" 🤦sorry it was a long day
I don't know if The state record (world record) black bear was a road kill but I know it was found dead head.

Wyoming and Colorado just announced millions in Federal funding for animal overpasses.

Mittens didn't get you guys any? That's strange.

Wyoming and Colorado just announced millions in Federal funding for animal overpasses.

Mittens didn't get you guys any? That's strange.
AZ did too.

Federal grant will fund I-17 wildlife overpass near Flagstaff
Award of $24 million comes from Federal Highway Administration
Bull+Elk+on+road.jpg
Wildlife overpasses help mitigate the risk of vehicle-wildlife collisions while maintaining connectivity between habitats (undated file photo).
PHOENIX — The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has awarded Arizona a $24 million grant for a wildlife overpass and other improvements designed to reduce crashes involving wildlife and better connect habitats across Interstate 17 south of Flagstaff in northern Arizona.

The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT), in partnership with the Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD), sought the grant through FHWA’s Wildlife Crossings Pilot Program for improvements along 8.4 miles of I-17 between the Munds Park traffic interchange, about 25 miles south of Flagstaff, and the Kelly Canyon traffic interchange to the north.

“I am grateful to the Federal Highway Administration for supporting Arizona’s commitment to protecting its residents, visitors and wildlife,” Arizona Governor Katie Hobbs said. “Many drivers use I-17 as a gateway to some of Arizona’s most popular treasures, including the Grand Canyon. While helping keep those travelers safe, this project will support elk, deer and other wildlife that make Arizona so special.”

The I-17 wildlife project is one of 19 nationally to receive funding through the first round of $110 million in grants from FHWA.

“We are pleased to announce the first round of grants under the Wildlife Crossings Pilot Program to projects that will significantly reduce the number of collisions between motorists and wildlife,” said Federal Highway Administrator Shailen Bhatt, who traveled to Arizona to make the announcement at Sunset Point along I-17. “These roadway safety investments will ensure that motorists and wildlife in Arizona get to their destinations safely and are a win-win for safety and the environment.”

In addition to the wildlife overpass, which is planned for milepost 327.4 in the Willard Springs area, the project also will include new 8-foot-tall wildlife fencing tying into existing culverts, ramps to help wildlife escape fenced areas and double cattle guards at interchanges. It will connect with an AZGFD project that will retrofit wildlife fencing along 6 miles of I-17 south from Munds Park that directs wildlife to two existing large bridges. The nearly 15 miles covered by these two safety projects accounted for 58% of crashes involving wildlife between 2018 and 2022 between Stoneman Lake Road and Flagstaff. In this 31.7-mile stretch, around three-quarters of all crashes between vehicles and wildlife involve elk, which can weigh up to 1,100 pounds.

The area between Munds Park and Kelly Canyon is one of three priority areas proposed by the state for new wildlife overpasses because of higher potential for collisions involving wildlife and important movement corridors identified through research. The other interstate freeway locations identified as potential sites for wildlife overpasses are I-17 near the Kachina Boulevardinterchange about 6 miles south of Flagstaff, and Interstate 40 west of Parks. AZGFD has funded design plans through ADOT for these overpasses as they remain top priorities for both wildlife connectivity and safety. ADOT and its partners continue to seek funding for projects at these other two priority sites. Locations for these projects were identified through studies conducted by AZGFD, including GPS telemetry and wildlife-vehicle collision hotspot identification

Identified by the federal, state and Coconino County governments as a high priority corridor for elk movement, the 8.4 miles of I-17 through the Willard Springs area currently has no bridges and only one road culvert suitable for use by elk and deer. The wildlife overpass will be 100 feet wide designed for use by elk, deer, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, black bears, mountain lions and smaller animals.

A projected start date will be determined in the coming months. The project will require completion of final design, including environmental review, project programming and other required steps. This process will be initiated due to the federal grant.

In 2015, FHWA awarded ADOT, AZGFD and other partners its Environmental Excellence Award for Excellence in Environmental Leadership for numerous efforts to reduce conflicts between vehicles and wildlife while connecting habitats.

“ADOT has a rich history of coordinating with the Arizona Game and Fish Department and other partners on projects that promote safety for both motorists and wildlife,” ADOT Director Jennifer Toth said. “This grant will advance these efforts in a critical corridor for recreational and commercial travel while helping elk, deer and other creatures whose habitats span northern Arizona.”

For the project funded by the Federal Highway Administration grant, Arizona Game and Fish has committed $1.5 million in matching funds along with $750,000 toward project design. AZGFD also received a $1 million America the Beautiful Challenge grant from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation that, along with $387,000 in matching funds, will be used for the fence retrofit along I-17 south from Munds Park.

“As Arizona continues to grow, crossing structures such as wildlife overpasses and underpasses will have the dual benefit of reducing wildlife-vehicle collisions for public safety while also connecting fragmented habitats, allowing wildlife to access vital resources, preserving migratory routes, and maintaining genetic diversity,” said AZGFD Director Ty Gray. “We’re grateful to the Federal Highway Administration and our sister state agency, the Arizona Department of Transportation, for this opportunity to help ensure a wildlife legacy for future generations.”

Other notable collaborations between ADOT, AZGFD and partners including the U.S. Forest Service and Regional Transportation Authority in Pima County include:
  • A reconstruction of 17 miles of US 93 in far northwestern Arizona featuring three wildlife overpasses and two bridged underpasses in desert bighorn sheep habitat, complemented by three underpasses on State Route 68 between Bullhead City and Golden Valley.

• A system of crossing and fencing on SR 260 east of Payson designed to reduce crashes involving elk and deer.

• A 6-mile reconstruction of SR 77 (Oracle Road) north of Tucson that included an overpass and underpass connecting wildlife habitats in the Santa Catalina and Tortolita mountains.

• Two wildlife underpasses and 6 miles of fencing added to SR 86 between Tucson and Sells.

Awkward when reality and folk’s narratives don’t align, huh Slam.
Yep.....exactly why I keep preaching about and posting the WRI link so people actually see what this state is doing with their dollars and conservation dollars, they just don't want to believe it with their own eyes.

They just want to complain about losing MZ scopes and insist it's just a piss poor initiative to "save deer".

Exactly, which is why the ",mittens" comment hit home. There was money to be gotten that would really help here. Colorado and Wyoming took advantage, we didnt

Exactly, which is why the ",mittens" comment hit home. There was money to be gotten that would really help here. Colorado and Wyoming took advantage, we didnt
Pretty bad when this is all the "Olympic" state could scrounge up...

Pretty bad when this is all the "Olympic" state could scrounge up...

There's a lot more than just those dollars to be had.
USFS & BLM partnered with the MDF to allocate an additional $65m.

These are the types of things going on behind the scenes that the GP doesn't have knowledge of.

Yep.....exactly why I keep preaching about and posting the WRI link so people actually see what this state is doing with their dollars and conservation dollars, they just don't want to believe it with their own eyes.

They just want to complain about losing MZ scopes and insist it's just a piss poor initiative to "save deer".
At first I thought you were talking about me, but I complained we kept them so I am safe this time…

There's a lot more than just those dollars to be had.
USFS & BLM partnered with the MDF to allocate an additional $65m.

These are the types of things going on behind the scenes that the GP doesn't have knowledge of.

That's great, imagine another $20million more like Wyoming got than us.

Except for we did get money and they are doing 5 more crossings with it. Was it enough to do everything? Nope! Is it way better than nothing? Yep!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom