This year's elk

mmwb

Very Active Member
Made it up the mountain yesterday. A bit of fresh snow was nice. The timber was chaulk full of coyote tracks. Followed a decent sized cat track for quite some time as well. All in all a nice hunt. Came across a small herd of elk shortly before dark. About a dozen cows, three calves, and three small bulls. This cow was the first one I could get a clear bead on as they walked through some timber. Nice sized cow. She was dry so I expect she lost her calf this year. Only three calves with a dozen cows...rough year on the young.

cow10.jpg

Western Wyoming. Rifle hunt in this area runs the month of October--any elk. I would've shot one of the bulls if a clear shot had been presented, but have learned with elk that if an opportunity presents itself, one should take the first sure shot. We've a healthy herd here and she was at least as big as the spike anyway.

That's great! I personal perfer to shoot a cow over a small raghorn bull any day. I going in North Western Colorado in about 2 weeks and can't wait.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom