Thompson Icon

BacDoc

I made a post in the product review section and probably should have posted here. I have a new Thompson Icon in 300 Win Mag and am looking for opinions or experiences with this gun and/or Caliber. I've have reloaded a lot but never for Magnums, and would like to work up an Elk load. I have 4831, and 4350 powder that I use with good result in my 30-06, 270, and 25-06. According to my manuels (Nosler, Hornady, and Barnes) it should work well, but what do others use? What bullet and weight would work well? I am still looking for a scope, and am thinking about more magnification that my old standby 3x9. I've always been partial to Leupolds. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, BacDoc

I have a weathershield Icon in the 30 t/c with a Nikon Monarch Gold scope. Only complaint is weight. Shoots great with very little recoil.

Boy, not much help here. I would start with the 4831 and 165 or 180 grain bullets. The Barnes tipped triple shock in 165 would be my first choice. I also like Swift A frames and good old Partitions.

Scopes can be a whole thread my itself. I guess I'm an old fart, but a good quality 3-9 should be able to handle any situation.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom