Thor Bullets: Legal In Colorado?

Cow Tag

Texas Hunter 58, I am not familiar with the Thor bullets. Are these LEGAL to use in the Colorado muzzle loader season? Cowtag from southern Illinois

FrontierGander, thanks for the asked information. I appreciate it. Would you happen to know where a man can purchase the Thor bullets for muzzle loaders at? Online? Mail order? Direct sales?

Yes, as stated, they did away with the length requirement! Yeah!

You can only get them at his website: http://thorbullets.com/

Ever time I order them, I just email or call him and leave a message. Several days later, they arrive in the mail with an invoice to send him a check. No credit card orders as of yet. Good guy to deal with.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

hey guys, how do the thors shoot out of 1:28 twist barrels? any idea what they like for loads etc? thanks

>hey guys, how do the thors
>shoot out of 1:28 twist
>barrels? any idea what they
>like for loads etc? thanks
>

My CVA Accura they load firmly in, I use the .500" Thor in that one. With Pyrodex RS it loves 105gr Volume. I am going to be working on BH209 loads as soon as powder and bullets come in.

By the way, Mention my user name either in an email or phone call and he'll knock 10% for you.
Accura250grBT001.jpg

Accura250grBT004.jpg

www.thepowerbeltforum.powerguild.net

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-10 AT 08:17PM (MST)[p] During the muzzle loading elk season in Colorado, I use the Great Plains maxi-ball bullet in my .54 Remington model 700 muzzle loader but I am thinking about using the Thor bullets in a .50 TC Encore this coming September. Anybody know something about how this bullet might perform with the Encore, 777 powder at about 90 grains, and Remington muzzle loader primers? Hopefully, someone has already used this combination and probably has it "tweaked" enough for me! Please share your findings. Cowtag

>FrontierGander, nice shooting, that at 100yds
>or?

Yep 100 yards with a 3 minute cool down between each shot. I did a test a couple days before that 110gr Pyrodex RS, 247gr Colorado thor, but i did a total of 5 shots, 3 with cool down and the last 2 shots without a cool down. 100 yards. You can see the 2 shots without a cool down. That was still 1" center to center. But those other 3 shots with a cool down certainly are nice.
Accura-thor-scoped100012.jpg

Accura-thor-scoped100010.jpg

Frontier and Texas Hunter have been great assets here on muzz info. I just received my Accura on Friday. I am awaiting my sample pack of Thors which should be here today. I plan on trying to get a little shooting in this week. Thanks for the info you guys have shared with us!! Hopefully by this fall before my hunt, which I hope to draw I can get this figured out:) keep ya posted!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-10 AT 06:15PM (MST)[p]Have not really worked with Thors out of my Omega, but that should be a good starting point Cowtag. I am going to try the 300 gr Thors in that gun eventually and see how they shoot. I did get to try them out in my Knight LRH and they seemed good out to 50 yards using 105 gr of BH 209. However, I wouldn't be afraid at all to use 90 gr of powder if it is accurate. Plenty of power and it kicks a whole lot less!

Thompson Center guns with their QLA are always iffy with any conical, but they seem to do the best with something with a rear bell like the plastic on powerbelts, the rear bell on the Hornady FPBs and so the similar Thor design should probably work well too. I usually start at about 90 gr powder, shoot three times, try 95 gr, shoot three time, etc up to about 110 gr of powder.

I worry that now that they are legal in Colorado, he may have trouble keeping up with the demand on Thors.

Let us know how they shoot for you.

txhunter58

>
>My CVA Accura they load firmly
>in, I use the .500"
>Thor in that one. With
>Pyrodex RS it loves 105gr
>Volume. I am going to
>be working on BH209 loads
>as soon as powder and
>bullets come in.
>
Hey Frontier - when I look at their website, I don't see the .500 only .501, .502 & .503. I would like to order some for my Accura to try. I do need to ask for the .500 size of have you tried the .501 size? Thanks - Paul

im not sure why the heck they arent listed!! But heres the info. I highly suggest that you request the free sizing sample so you know for sure what diameter thor your accura needs.

Interested in trying out the Thor bullet? Simply email or call Thor bullets and Request a Free Sizing sample.

This Sample comes with the following bullet sizes - .500" - .501" - .502" & .503" Diameter bullet. It is important that you start with the smallest Diameter Thor bullet & work your way up in Diameter size until you find the proper fitting Thor Bullet. This sample is free of charge.

All it takes is a Phone call or an Email.

Phone: (660) 244-5251
Email: [email protected]

Fontier, I just got my sample pack today!

A few questions:

Start load for BH209?

Do I need to dry fire a cap before I load it to "dirty" up the barrel?

How often between shots on cleaning?

Do I need to lube the Thors? if so what type?

I have a lot of questions!! I appreciate the help!

Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-10 AT 04:41PM (MST)[p]First off, the Thor II's are not available yet as Terry wants to make sure everything is just right and that they will work in a wide assortment of rifles. He's mainly working on the Graphite design to make sure it will offer acceptable accuracy.

Starting load with the Thors and BH209, i'd start with about 80 grains and work your way up. Max load with bh209 is 120 grains Volume. Use strong primers like the CCI 209M or the Remington STS primers.

You can fire 1 or 3 primers in the barrel prior to loading. This helps ensure flame channel is clear and is will also add just a bit of fouling to the bore. Some rifles shoot best of a fouled bore, while others prefer a dirty bore. You'll find out which type of rifle yours is on the range.

With BH209 there is NO cleaning between shots, Its super super clean and the light fouling that it does leave behind will HELP tighter fitting bullets load easier.

No need to lube the thors, Just push them on down on top of the powder.

If you need any help, feel free to stop by my place and read up under the Thor section or just give me a PM. You can even give me a call or i can call you if you need help on the range and have your cell phone handy.

FrontierGander, thank you for the information. Your knowledge and insight on ML is invaluable. I enjoyed reading your forum. Thanks again.

JR

Gander, I followed your advice last year with great results BUT it was with the Platinum Powerbelts. You've probably explained it elsewhere but can you tell me the advantage with the Thor?? Same gun as you and will be used exclusively for elk.

Thanks

Hunter

The advantage with the Thor conical is they load pretty much as easy as a powerbelt but they can be pushed with as much powder as you want and not come apart. With a soft lead conical, and hunting elk for example, you'll want at least 350+ grains, sometimes heavier for max penetration. With the Thor, the 250gr thor will get the job done on elk, heck i honestly wouldnt be afraid to use the 250gr thor on moose or bison. Its one tough bullet and will get the job done on anything in north america.

Thor is also working on an inexpensive all lead conical for the guys in the states that have those restrictions.

Gander, At 110 gr BH 209 my Powerbelt groups exploded. You're saying that won't happen with the Thor???

Have you done any long range (250+) shooting with the Thor?

I was impressed with the Powerbelt but after shooting it out to 300, I limited myself to 250 under ideal circumstances. 200 I felt comfortable. The gun shoots good enough groups for 300 (scoped) but trajectory at that distance make it unthinkable for me.

He is not saying anything about the accuracy of the bullet, that will be determined by your gun. What he is saying is that powerbelts, if pushed too hard, will come apart on impact (too soft) whereas Thor bullets are solid copper and should hold together once they hit something even at higher speeds.

txhunter58

No i didnt say that. I like to go from 100gr to 110gr just to see if the group will shrink or if it will do what your 110gr does, explode.

250-300 yards IMO is just waaay out of my range, even with a scoped muzzleloader. I will be doing some 200 yard shooting hopefully next weekend, To much wind this week.

I have shot the thors @ 200 yards in my cva accura with 105gr pyrodex rs and it would hold a steady 1 1/2" group.

Now I'm gonna sound dumb. Past 200 yards is too far based on energy/performance?? Accuracy isn't the problem with 1.5 inch groups @ 200 yards IMO.

Although successful, my experience is limited to the one kill. And unfortunately I didn't recover the bullet. I use the gutless method on elk and now regret not recovering the bullet.

I told my partner nothin past 200 ranged yards but had told myself I would shoot out to 250 if everything was perfect, rest, wind, light, broadside and it felt good. And I knew what the bullet would drop at that range. Problem was holding off of the animal. Long story short, I didn't have to shoot past 140 anyways.

200 yards for me is a long shot. I do not get to practice at that distance very often. Due to having to use open sights, 200 for deer is pretty much just a tiny little speck out in a field LOL. At 200 yards my bullet set up drops 18" and while that only means a 3" hold over its back, if shooting off hand, anything bad that can happen, most likely will.

As long as you know what you're bullet drop is and if the bullet you are using will expand at that distance and you are comfortable with it, go for it.

Gander, I don't dispute 200+ is long with open sights. And I'm have no idea how my bullet will perform at 200+. I'm lucky because I can shoot as far as I can see, on public land, 15 minutes from the house. I have a 4'X8' piece of plywood and stand for it. I regularly shoot my rifle to 500 yards. Probably put 18-20 rounds through my Accura at 250, another 25-30 at 200.

And with 10" of drop @ 200 yards, another 13" @ 250. A 23" holdover is iffy. My thought process was if I could shrink the drop to say 18" @ 250 I could hold on the top of the back and hit 6" up on an elk.

Only way I'd consider it would be perfect conditions: broadside, good rest, no wind, animal not too uphill or downhill.

I'm sure we agree that closer is better and that's what primative hunts are really all about.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom