Thoughts on The New GS Elk Plan.

Elkslayer2015

This was my experience and thoughts. I think it worked really well, it definitely spread hunters out more.
It was nice having all my hunting spots back, I only ran into 5 hunters out in the field.
We did see tons of road hunters though and a lot of pissed off people saying they weren't seeing any elk.
I think the reason why they wasn't seeing as many elk was because there just wasn't any pressure to get them moving.
We seen tons of elk come rifle season archery was a little slow but still fun and enjoying with my kids.

That said.
We know the Number of tags that were issued. I feel like the Muzzy GS Elk hunt go unlimited tags, we just didn't sell enough tags.

Also I feel like we can also entertain a limited quota Multi season any bull elk tag again, especially with the new GS units they opened up. I would like to know everyone's thoughts on this.

I rate my experience a solid 9. I thought it was a really fun hunt, I know it saved me a ton of gas money only having a 7 day hunt.

Last edited:
I would be against the multi season tags in any form, even though I took advantage of them when they were available. It made every other season a overcrowded mess. Pick your season and go with it. It completely destroyed the serenity of the archery and muzzle loader hunts IMO.

I liked the results of the changes made. Very little pressure in the areas I hunted this year which was a welcome change. I did like the full 2 week season, but I would gladly give up the extra week for the experience I had this year on the elk hunt.

Yeah I agree, the multi season caused a lot of this mess. I think if they brought it back it would be a draw with a low quota..
I was one as well that took advantage of it. With the new GS units opening up I really don’t think anyone would notice more crowding.
But it would have to be a low quota like 1500 or less.

But other than that It was a very fun hunt I pretty much had the whole area to my self. The Elk committee got it right that’s for sure as far as GS Any Bull goes.

I'll take it a step further and say multi-season elk should come back but should be LE on GS units. You get to hunt all 3 seasons BUT you get the the LE dates not GS, on a GS unit of your choosing not statewide, but lose LE elk points and get same waiting period.

I'll bet there would be some takers on hunting the longer archery and LE MUZZY and LE early rifle dates on a GS unit. Could move more people through the LE elk draw and give people another unique "LE" type experience on a lower quality unit with better dates and less competition.

I'll take it a step further and say multi-season elk should come back but should be LE on GS units. You get to hunt all 3 seasons BUT you get the the LE dates not GS, on a GS unit of your choosing not statewide, but lose LE elk points and get same waiting period.

I'll bet there would be some takers on hunting the longer archery and LE MUZZY and LE early rifle dates on a GS unit. Could move more people through the LE elk draw and give people another unique "LE" type experience on a lower quality unit with better dates and less competition.
Now I like that idea, I would fully support that idea.
Anything to help with point creep.
I would totally burn my points on that just because there would be less crowding.
Thats right up my lane.

I definitely think the WB should look at making the general muzzy elk unlimited and not part of the 17.5k 1st season tags. Just have 15 or 17k tags set aside for the 1st rifle season. Now that there's more units to hunt, it should not be a problem.

I definitely think the WB should look at making the general muzzy elk unlimited and not part of the 17.5k 1st season tags. Just have 15 or 17k tags set aside for the 1st rifle season. Now that there's more units to hunt, it should not be a problem.
I agree. GS muzzleloader elk should be unlimited.

I agree. GS muzzleloader elk should be unlimited.
I agree that the general muzzleloader elk hunt should not be part of the general rifle elk quota. Either a separate tag quota for the general muzzleloader elk hunt or make it unlimited like the general archery elk hunt.

I am glad they got rid of the general multi season any bull tag and they should probably do the same with the spike hunt. It caused a mess, pick your weapon and season and be done.

I did not buy a general elk tag this year but it sounds like most were happy with their experience on the mountain because of the changes. Sounds like the DWR is heading in the right direction with this one.

I think overall the changes were good, except for leaving some multi season spike tags. Too bad we can’t get rid of those too. Between multi season tags and muzz scopes, the muzzle elk season was turned into a complete **** show.
Well the Scopes are gone on the muzzies

Wait I kind of like that idea if you want to push people through the system especially if I get a hunt the late rifle hunt.

Wait I kind of like that idea if you want to push people through the system especially if I get a hunt the late rifle hunt.
I think it is an idea for people smarter than me to debate on the specifics, but could be a good idea. Should move more people through and not affect the dynamics of current LE units while at the same time only adding marginally to harvest on GS units. Most people wanting to wait twenty years for a premium unit will wait anyway. But guys like me that want any tag I can get my hands on, I'd go for a hunt like that in a heartbeat. Who knows...might have more interest from hunters than we think

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom