Thoughts on Unit 741 Deer

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
A family member recently purchased a couple hundred acres in the Southern part of the unit and offered their 2 buck LO tags to my wife and me and I believe I can validate the tags through the 3rd season. The property is seeded with alfalfa and wheat, is comprised of a couple of canyons, and is a mix of farmland, sage, and aspen and pine. There are quite a few resident deer on the place and I plan on spending some serious time on it before archery season kicks in. Right now I'm feeling pretty fortunate for the opportunity.

I've done all the searching I can on this website and the internet, and am very familiar with the migration potential in the unit. From what I can tell, the later I can hunt, and the more snow in the high-country there is, the better off I will be. I'm born and raised in NW, Colorado, but living in New Mexico and can't wait to chase some quality Colorado muleys.

Anybody have any advice or general knowledge of the unit and/or recommendations on archery versus rifle hunting it? I'd appreciate any and all thoughts and/or opinions.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

I have been invited to hunt that kind of private land in that unit before and have been very tempted. I have seen the mounts of some coming from there and they are impressive. If it borders the Ute reservation, or is close, so much the better. Also depends on what kind of hunting pressure the earlier seasons get, but that is a primo tag as far as deer are concerned. I have never hunted it because I love hunting the high country too much. As with any realatively small area, it can be feast or famine, depending on weather, hunting pressure, etc. Good luck!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks, Tx. As a fellow backcountry hunter this will definitely be the first time I've hunted a small parcel of land in many years. I've got a good run of 6 killer hunts lined up this fall and am cautiously excited at even having the opportunity of hunting a unit famous for big deer. I'm not bordering the Ute Rez, but I'm in a prime canyon/plateau transition area with planted crop. My 2A and 2B buddies here in NM are a bit jealous to say the least. I'm also excited at the chance to enjoy a less demanding trip with my wife, also a hunter who hails from Farmington, NM, which is 20 minutes away from the property. Borders a couple of other property owners that do not hunt so despite my love for some serious backcountry, I'm going to roll with this hunt and see what happens. Never enough hunting in my book!

Here's my 2011 public land muzzleloader Gila buck. Poor genetics and awful drought conditions resulted in this monster fork. Glad to take him out of the gene pool...
IMG_0140.jpg

Would love to see some pictures of 741 deer!

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

Would hate to have to drag him very far!! Big bodied deer.

Don't have any pictures of those deer, but saw the mounts. Don't remember any nontypical type racks, but fairly heavy 28-30 inch 4x4s.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom