Three Questions - Migration, Snow and Bears

BridgerLake

I'm trying to find out answers to three questions regarding the area outside of Yellowstone (east towards Cody). I will be coming from out of state and would like to get some updates from the folks hunting Region F.

Are there any signs that the migration has started?

Any significant snow in the area...I know there are some storms suppose to hit this week)?

When do the grizzlies typically go into hibernation? I'll be hunting the second week of November.

A response or a PM would be great from anyone who has recently been hunting deer or elk in the area.

Thanks

Hopefully some of the locals from that area will pipe in. I expect it is a bit early for migration. Some of the animals move down out of the real high country as the hunts ensue, but I wouldn't consider that migration Not much snow yet. I expect the grizzlies will still be up and about fattening themselves up when you are there.

Question 1--- we have gotten a little snow on the high peaks. its making the animals move but not migrate yet... havent gotten a real big big snow yet for migration to happen but can happen any mintute...

Question 2 --- little snow on high mountain tops. rainging down low now so the mountains should be getting something

Question 3 --- Bears are not true hibernators. yes november they begin to slow down and lay down for the winter but if there is a gut pile or something dead they will come for it.. and if its a warm month. i have seen grizzlies every month of the year. i have seen them in january on wolf kills getting a free snack...

I have been hunting deer in various areas in Park County since the various season openers and was out again today.Mostly I have been taking my rifle for a walk. The migration is not on in the Sunlight. The snow was falling this afternoon (Monday)in the Sunlight. It was sloppy and wet down low and was piling up in the higher elevations. I covered about 14 miles on foot and saw very little fresh sign. The migration should be kicking in later this week. However, by the middle of next week the season will be over. The decision a few years ago to close the general deer season in 106, a week or so early, was ill advised. It made hunting the Sunlight and Crandall areas with the early closure a real crap shoot if the migration is late. It usually results in a lot of one and two year old bucks getting whacked by hunters wanting to take anything home. That being said, the last 3 days of that season should be good deer hunting.I was hunting on the North Fork last Thursday. I saw over 30 mule deer. These were mostly does and fawns and a couple of dink bucks. I also saw a couple of spike bull elk. Because of the later close date(November 10th), opportunities should be good if you can access the wilderness areas. The grizzly bears will be out all through the deer season. They are active and will be all over looking for gut piles that hunters leave. Don't let your guard down for a minute by assuming they are hibernating or somehow out of the picture.

Thank you for the information...it is very helpful. Maybe I'll check in with you guys in another 2 weeks for the current conditions.

Any update on the migration and the rut...in park county? Are the deer coming out of the high country yet...have they made it to the lowlands? Any sign of rutting bucks? I'll be in the area early next week and any information you have would help me decide where I'm going to setup camp.

Thanks. If you prefer to PM me that's fine.

we are getting some snow, but i havent been back up mountain for a couple of weeks....... so i guess my info is no good..

i know the whitetails on the low lands are still a couple weeks of from rutting

The migration of the good bucks has slowed to a trickle. The fields in Wapiti have deer but not much in the way of antlers. The check station in Cody wasn't seeing much coming through last night. I was out yesterday (all day)in a favorite spot on the NF. Did about 12 tough miles on foot. I saw 33 mule deer. They were on the move but I only saw one buck(dink)in with a couple of does. Most of the groups were 3-5 deer. I did see some big does and fewer fawns. The weather for next week seems about the same (mild) until Friday. I think the big boys will show the last week as they always do. I would anticipate some rutting behavior by midweek. I did see a nice buck in the Sunlight Crandall area on the 31st that was puffed up and had 3 does with him. He shouldn't be walking the planet still but he is. Good luck.

I hunted hard with my son November 5-8. There were numerous small bucks (forkies and small two year old bucks). The better bucks were scarce. The grizzly bears were up and active. Because of a horrible crosswind on the afternoon of the 5th, my son passed the best buck we saw(165-170 class). I took a buck on the 6th. Some cold weather showed in the afternoon on the 8th and continued through the rest of the season. My son passed a decent 4x4 late on the afternoon of the 8th (his last day to hunt). A better buck gave us the slip earlier that morning. We saw some rutting behavior on the 7th and 8th. My son ate his tag rather than take an average 4x4. I wish that some of outfitters and their clients hunting the North Fork had the same self control. At the Cody G&F check station, midweek of the last week of the season, I was told that the deer harvest was down. I would assume it might have picked up with the weather on the 9th and 10th.

the 9th and 10th we got hit with snow. the mountains are pure white and some down on the lowlands

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom