Tiger Muskie

ksp71

I am going to be around Quemado Lake in a couple of weeks and was wondering if it would be worth trying for a Tiger? I heard there was a die off from drought a few years ago so am curious if a population still exists. Not sure what lures to throw either but was thinking of a swimbait or topwater, and would appreciate any other ideas.

I’ve fished for Tigers on blue water a few times. From what I’ve been told the hotter the weather the better the action. What I do know is I did really good with water dogs. Good luck Muskie are fun to catch.

Any jerk bait or swim bait can work, but I've had better luck in June/July (at Bluewater). I've caught them on top water also, but I think it's way too early for that. I've also caught some on crankbaits like bomber model A's and Rapala shad raps, stop and pause occasionally.

And the "go to" bait some swear by is hot dogs!

Okay great, being too early for topwater is a little disappointing but I have some big jerk baits and crankbaits I've used for largemouth. I am a little out of my element since I usually target bass so I appreciate the tips.

Also recommend a 2ft leader of 20-30 lb mono or fluorocarbon. Some might suggest a wire leader but I've gotten by without them. They aren't that different from bass fishing, until you catch one; watch out for the teeth and bring band-aids ?
P1020378.JPG

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom