Tikka or Savage ?

oilcan

Long Time Member
I am going to purchase a new rifle in 270 WSM.I have it narrowed down to 2.

1) Tikka T3 Stainless lite
2) Savage Weather Warrior 16FCSAK

I have read they are both accurate out of the box, but have never shot either one or know anyone who owns one.

Does the Tikka have much felt recoil being so light?
Does the Savage muzzle break help all that much? Savage has had a reputation of being a cheaper gun so i am a little leary of them.My friend has a FFL so i am getting a real good deal on which ever one i choose.The savage would be around $130 cheaper but i don't want that to be the main factor.Any ideas thanks
Bruce

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-05 AT 05:31PM (MST)[p]I'd take the Tikka, in a close one. I believe the Tikka offers a adjustable trigger, like a Sako.

The Savage is a good rifle also. Don't let the inexpensive price fool you.
They are notorious for being incredibly accurate, dependable rifles.

Do you really feel you need a muzzle brake with that caliber?

Have you ever held the two rifles in question? I would do that before making your final choice.

Good luck to you on your choice.

Rangercon thanks for the reply. I don't think i need the muzzle brake it would just be a bonus.I have held both and dry fired both.The triggers feel about the same ( alot better than my Ruger or Remington ) and they both feel good up to my shoulder.So with out being able to shoot one first it is going to be a tuff decision.

I would still go with the Tikka then, if you shot both and they "felt" about the same.
That buttery smooth action is nice!!

Again, either would make you a fine hunting rifle. I think Savage has brought the quality up over the past few years.

I always thought their barrels were good, but Savage seems to be paying more attention to other components too.

Let us all know what you decide.

tikka for sure. The savage is a good cheap gun. The tikka is an incredible value. Fit and finish is way past the savage, awesome trigger, smoothest bolt I've tried, low bolt lift and so accurate. I have bought 3 of them. I would hold the tikka to any other production gun out there, go tikka, you'll be glad ya did.

If you feel you don't need a brake, by all means don't get one. Your ears will thank you. Good caliber choice by the way.

GET THE TIKKA3 STAINLESS/LITE, I LOVE THE 300WSM. IT DOES NOT REQUIRE THE BRAKE THOUGH. ITS A PLEASURE TO CARRY ALL DAY, AND ITS VERY ACCURATE. TAKE ER EASY, YD.

Since your friend w/ the FFL is cutt'in you some slack on price, why not bust the nut and get a SAKO!!!!
You can't get a better rifle outta the box!!!

buckrub i'm just a working stiff i need to save money where ever i can.I have to put a scope on it and get a new pair of Binos before i leave for my Wyoming deer hunt.

Tikkas are excellent guns, no questions about it with their Sako heritage.

A couple of things to consider.

The big black eye for Savage over the years has been their triggers. The new Savage Accutrigger is sweet and adjustable down to 1.5 pounds i believe, if you want and safe even at that light pull.

Also all the Tikkas I have handled are built on the same long action so you are taking on some unnecessary weight and length. Granted, not much but some.

You wouldn't get a bad one either way but definately handle both a few times before you buy.

Definitely the Tikka, I also have a T3 Lite Stainless in 300WSM, there should not be a need for a muzzle brake on the 270, because the 300 is not that bad. Also the Tikka is a little easier to look at than the Savage - both are good guns - but I'd opt for the Tikka. I've got two of them.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

I don't know that you could go wrong either way. I own two savages. You don't need to worry about accuracy, they are excellant out of the box. Cheap in price, not performance. The tikka is definately a nicer looking rifle. When I buy another rifle it will probably be a savage, but my second choice would be the tikka.

do savage 110's still have the pinned on bolt face? if they do, i wouldn't have one. i haven't paid much attention to them for quite awhile but have seen 2 of the 110's bust the pin that holds on the bolt face, leaving you in the field with an absolutely unusable rifle. the bolt face had a pin that held it to the end of the bolt. only reason i could see was so that one bolt could be used for all calibers in all their guns. save a lot on machining costs that way. if it had an '06 sized head, like a buncha cartridges do, you used that one, belted mags used a different one, same with the .223 sized cartidges. there is a reason that savages are inexpensive. they cut corners. they've really improved a lot in the past few years and from what i hear, are real accurate. but if they still have that 2 piece deal on the bolt, i ain't gonna put a lotta faith in one. especially a long ways from the road.

I would definately take the Tikka!!!! I have a 243 win in one and it easily shoots between a 1/2 to a 1/4 minute of angle at a hundred yards depending on the load. Now thats an accurate rifle for a reasonable cost!!

Get the Savage and plow the money you saved into a better scope.

A $1,000 rifle with a $200 scope is a $200 rifle.

I bought the Tikka Stainless/Laminate in .270wsm. Awesome gun. Way nicer than my BAR!!! Great trigger, super slick action, and very nice fit and finish IMO. I've only put 50 rounds through it, but very accurate (1st shot after boresighting was dead center at 100yds). At 230 paces both bullets plowed through a typical mulie on Sunday. Right through the tank and shoulder with massive devestation! 140gr factory Federal Accubonds...now I'm going to the bench to build my own shells with 140gr Accubonds.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom