Tikka T3 - .270 vs. .270 WSM?

G

GrizlyHunter

I leaning towards picking up a Tikka T3 in the stainless synthetic lite .270 caliber. For one of my boys to start hunting deer. But I can't make up my mind which .270 to buy. Any suggestions?

I understand that it's only available in a long throw bolt so I won't save any weight or length with the WSM. I'm concerned about ammo availabilty, and will the WSM be around forever?

Thank for your input.

GrizlyHunter

Your not gaining much with the wsm. If your not reloading go with the 270. The wsm bullets are real expensive and can be hard to find. The wsm has it's following on here so you will get both sides.

I don't know any animals that will know the difference. If your shooting long distance you still have to know your trajectory!

I would go with the standard 270 over the WSM in a long action that you are looking at. It will be around for many years to come, the WSM might or might not be around 20 years from now.
Factory ammo and reloading componets, brass cases, are cheaper for the 270 and a lot easier to find even in small stores.

RELH

....and a 270 winchester will forever be a more reliable feeder..

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Nice guns for the money. I own both calibers and agree if you don't reload go with the standard 270. Word of caution that these little guns kick hard, even in a 270.

I own a Sako .270 Win and a Nosler .270 WSM. The Nosler is a mountain rifle so the combination of weight savings plus added punch is hard to beat for that purpose.

But in your case I think the .270 Win is the way to go for the reasons given above. The old Sako feeds like buttah-silky smooth.

Check ammo prices! Don't know how old your kids are but I believe you can buy the reduced recoil ammo for plinking/practice in standard .270.

I have a T3 in 270WSM...If I didnt reload I wouldn't have gotten the WSM...Like all the others said the old 270 will do anything the wsm will do..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I think I'm starting to see a trend here with the Winnie over the WSM.

GrizlyHunter

I think you will be happy with either of them...But like I said the standard 270 will be cheaper for bullets if your not reloading...

You are really gonna like that T3...It's a no nonsense smooth and accurate shooting rifle...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-10 AT 03:30PM (MST)[p]I'm starting to reconsider the Lite, and starting to look at the laminated Hunter model. It appears to be 5/8 lb. heavier. A little heavier should help reduce the kick for the boys. They're 12 & 14 years old. Does anybody have one of these? (The lami stock, not he boys.) ;-)

I've pretty much decided on the .270 over the .270 WSM too.

GrizlyHunter

You may have them shoot a 270 first (yours or a friends)..And see if they are recoil sensitive...

If it was me looking for a 12 and 14 year olds first rifle I would be looking into a 243 or a 25-06'...You can always get more horsepower when they get a little older and have more trigger time...

Some 14 YO's can handle the 300 mags and some flinch all to hell from a .223...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

I agree. I should let you know that I already have 243 that my older son was using. The plan is to had it down to my 12 year old and let the 14 year old use th 270. He's pretty solid at 5'-6" and a solid 155 lbs. He should be able to handle it.

GrizlyHunter

Sounds like a solid plan to me..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Sorry...I didn't realize I was repeating my (solid) self until I read your (solid) response. ;-)

GrizlyHunter

Here's another thought...

Www.budsgunshop.com has a super sweet deal right now on the tikka in 6.5x55 swede. If I was thinking about buying getting one that's a sweet deal on a great caliber-even if it isn't a "cool" caliber. Check out the ballistics.

If they'd drop the swede and just call it a 6.5x55 they may actually do pretty good here in the USA.

Anyway, that be a great gun for dad and the kids.

" Very close to the factory wsm ammo."

Ha Ha Ha!!! That's a good one :)

Hey, i got nothing against the good ol 270 Winchester. Tried and true, great game getter... But to compare the two rounds as near the same is absurd. You can't compare 2900-3000 FPS as the same as 3250-3300 FPS with the exact same deer/elk sized bullet.

Do you want a 327 or a 427 in that Camaro. It's just a matter of what you want. I'll take the 1600-1700 FPE downrange at 500 yds over 1200-1300 any day but hey, shoot what you want, i'm twisting no arms here.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-10 AT 06:07PM (MST)[p]See, I knew he couldn't resist!!

Last time I chronied my .270 win with 130s it was at 3180 fps avg.

327 mileage with 427 performance?????

Even at 14 a 270 still might be a bit to much. I started of with a 270 for a few years and it caused me trouble. I then went to a 243 at 17 years old and relearned how to shoot game with it, then went back to the 270 later on. Best I can figure I am around 120 big game animals, and shoot the 270 for everything now. Even to this day I have to start off slow with shooting the 270 in practise. I would saw another 243, or a 7mm-08 would fit better. Even a 257 would be nice to have. Just something I was thinking about. Also look at the new Winchester Model 70 fetherweights. I just bought a new one and it is incredible straight out of the box. Love it. Hope this helps.

I have a Rem model 7 that my 100 lbs wife shoots and she handels it well, plus you can shoot 120gr or 140 grain in it with very little recoil. Many of my 200lbs+ buddies have borrowed it and loved how well it shoots. I also shot my biggest buck of my life with it. He only went 10 yards after a double lung shot.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

Either would be a good choice because their so versatile. But the .270 will recoil less especially in a lighter weight rifle for a young man. The suggestion above about putting a better recoil pad on, is a winner. That will eliminate a lot of issues for him and get him off on the right foot. The other suggestion about the reduced loads is also worthwhile. Now combine the two and you're starting him out right. Like was mentioned above some are sensitive to recoil some aren't but every single one of us shoots better with a gun we like to shoot. Ammo today is usually pretty easy to find either way but in all fairness the regular old .270 can be found just about anywhere and at a reduced price and that's a plus besides most all the ammunition company load for it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom