Tillamook Bay Salmon Fishing

hikenhunt

I live in Utah and am interested in fishing for Chinook and/or Coho salmon in the Tillamook Bay area. Can anyone recommend a good guide to book a fishing trip with ? I'm thinking of a late summer or fall trip.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Lots of good guides, one of the best and a really nice guy is David Johnson 503-201-4292
or
Chris Vertopoulos 503-349-1377
or
Travis Moncrief phone?? - Tavis lives down around Tillamook
or
Grant Scheele 541-990-6358.

But check with David Johnson, probably one of the best if not best guides for fall.
If you can try late August or 1st week of September on the Columbia/Buoy 10 we are supposed to have a good run this year for fall fish.
Good luck

Thank you very much for the info.

A few years ago I hired a guide to fish for Spring Chinooks on the Rogue river - I found him om the internet. The guy totally ripped me off ! He had over 20 years experience according to the locals but he did no homework and hadn't been out on the river once that spring before I showed up - drove 1,000 miles for nothing.

I know fishing is never a sure thing but thanks again for your reply.

I can't remember the guys name but his business was called Lips guide service. The experience was terrible for not only me but my wife as well.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-10 AT 01:51PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-10 AT 01:50?PM (MST)

I would second the Travis Moncrief recommendation. Travis was born and raised in Tillamook and spends more days guiding on the waters in that area than probably anyone else. Very knowledgable, likable guy that produces and takes care of his clients. As far as I know, he might be one of two guides that also has crab pots out and takes his clients for a quick pull of the pots during mid tide, so you're likely to go home with salmon and fresh dungeness crab! finsfeathersfurs.net is his website.

++1 on Travis Moncrief. Great guy, excellent guide, and he knows TBay and the local rivers as good as anyone. You will not be dissapointed if you go with him.

LBR

Thnaks again for your advice.

I went fishing for Springer Chinook Salmon this week with David Johnson. I caught 3 fish but one was a wild fish so we had to let it go.

This guy makes catching Salmon a science. He is an awesome person and guide - I would recommend him to anyone.

I personally would stay away from the North Coast and focus on the South Coast again. The fall salmon fishing has been consistently better on the South Coast, Rogue/Elk/Sixes/Umpqua, than the north coast. The best shot at a 50lb chinook in the lower 48 is probably the Rogue. Bay fishing gets going by July 4th and goes through the first rain and water cool-down in late Sept/Oct.

Lots of great guides down there....don't let one bad trip get you down.

kh

Back
Top Bottom