Timber guns

DBG3285

Do any of you guys consistently used “timber guns”.

I am looking at getting a “timber gun”. I am debating currently between the Henry Big Boy or the Winny.

what’s your experiences? Which is a better quality big bore lever action?

We use a 444 Marlin with iron sights. Big enough that if it hits a tree it doesn’t deflect. When I was younger. I would sit on the creek banks and take trees down with it. I took my first bull with that rifle at fifteen years old. The parents would always send me into the dark timber with that rifle and let me push the elk into the meadows .

I like my .45/70 for still hunting thru the Dark Timber.

Robb
IMG_1163.HEIC.jpg

I just use a short barreled bolt action. 300 WSM great option. I use an 8mmx338wm. Short, packs a punch, and I can still hit something at 5-600 yds if I need to. Why use a gun that limits you. You can run a bolt as fast as a lever

I think those are illegal for big game in Utah,

but that would be nice

why don’t they chamber an AR in a larger bore caliber

The 50 caliber Beowulf is a pretty funny looking fat round. But works good on charging Texas pigs. Or to be fired threw engine blocks at road blocks.

A9468070-4D61-407D-B528-853B6AF38CDC.jpeg

Hey DBG!

Here's Mine!

BROWNING Model 92 44 MAG!

Holds about 10 Rounds in the Tube!

You'd Like it!

You Mow Brush & Tree's Down And Then Shoot that Elk that Think's He's Out-Smarted You!:D

browning model 92.jpg

I'm with BigjohnT and a few other 444 aficionados- A Good Old JM Stamped Marlin 444 will cut trees and any Big Game down quickly.

Do any of you guys consistently used “timber guns”.

I am looking at getting a “timber gun”. I am debating currently between the Henry Big Boy or the Winny.

what’s your experiences? Which is a better quality big bore lever action?

C6DD5A9A-2116-4745-BB18-ECEF7C48641F.jpeg

Oh ya baby!!!

Remington woodsmaster 742 in 30.06. Shorter barrel. Shoots great out to 100 yds and can't hit a friggin pie plate at 200! It was ancient when I got it used for Christmas in 1985. Probably some fouling in barrel that needs some heavy cleaning... Is copper fouling a THING in barrels that have only ever shot lead bullets?

Remington woodsmaster 742 in 30.06. Shorter barrel. Shoots great out to 100 yds and can't hit a friggin pie plate at 200! It was ancient when I got it used for Christmas in 1985. Probably some fouling in barrel that needs some heavy cleaning... Is copper fouling a THING in barrels that have only ever shot lead bullets?
No really if you not shooting copper through it . Lead fouling is a real thing. Give that barrel a good cleaning. It can only help your gun shoot a little better . You may need a couple of fouling shots. Then see if your groups tighten up.

Here is the 50 Beowulf 45 70 and the 444 Marlin. The 50 caliber Beowulf is built on the AR platform. The 45 70 and the 444 are lever guns. Our 45 70 is a engraved Winchester lever gun. The Marlin I have been carrying and reloading bullets for it since I was fifteen. So let say it has more character and is better for dragging it through the brush. ?

D35441FE-11AE-43E7-BE0A-B5DF245ED312.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Big John. It is in a friend's safe. I have been using new Ruger American in .30.06 so I will give the old one a good washing when I get it back. What kind of heavy duty solvent do u recommend?

Bar 7 MM is my brush gun now.
Now if I had one of those Henry's I would put a BIG LOOP on it for that hunt in cold weather.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom