Timber!!!!!

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Not a particularly huge Redwood but you don't see many fell like this anymore. I spent 5 years logging old growth Redwoods back in the late 60's and early 70's.

Handling those tree jacks takes a major effort. And those saws with the long bars are pretty cool.

Eel

Good hell Eel are you on a suicide mission. A confession like that is likely to put you on a most wanted list.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-25-12 AT 01:29AM (MST)[p]Eel;

The farmhouse my wife inherited from her parents is a two story 3500 sq. ft. Victorian house built in 1894 on the Sacramento River. The entire framing and exterior was built out of clear heart redwood. No knots even in the big beams.

The rain gutters was also constructed of redwood and are still in excellant shape after 118 years. You do not hardly see that grade of redwood today as that grade came from the big trees that was logged many years ago.

Even the septic tank was built out of redwood and still functions perfectly after all these years. I have seen concrete ones collaspe and fall in. It was the wood of choice back in the day, but too damn expensive today for good heart redwood.

RELH

Busheler would of cut that tree by himself without a jack!

But then We'd of had to listen to him Bragg on his HUSKY Saw!

They Poach them Redwoods in KALI like they Poach Deer here in TARDville!

Had to buy some Redwood Heart,GEEZUS!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

Cool video!! I've fell some decent sized Ceders and it's a major rush to see them bigger fellas fall. I wager that Redwood was worth a pretty penny??

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

RELH, Any pic?s? Would love to see it. Victorian style homes are so cool. Made out of redwood heart has got to be pretty neat.

GBA

Very cool, I can't imagine crawling up under that half cut tree!!!! Need a chainsaw with a V8??

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I was thinking the same thing king! Those guys either weren't all there, or had jumbo coconut balls to be climbing into that stump like that! I sure as hell wouldn't!

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

LAST EDITED ON May-25-12 AT 05:24PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the comments guys! Those were the days. I wish I had taken a lot more photos back then.

goatroper, you'd be surprised what you can remember if you stay of the wacky weed.:)

Joey, that tree is worth a pretty penny is right. Even back in the day, if a faller broke even a couple of those big brutes when falling, he was down the road. They even used big D-8s to build layouts for the trees to fall in to prevent breakage. He would spend an entire day building the "bed" sometimes.

I don't know whos property that was but there is only one sawmill left up here that can handle a log that big. It's in Scotia, CA and they have a 60' bandsaw. My good buddy works on it.

RELH, my mother-in-laws house has original redwood gutters also. There is a local guy who got ahold of the original planer knives and is making reproduction redwood gutters, when he can find the old growth wood to use. He does quite well.

I always thought putting a convicted child molester in the undercut would be a proper punishment.

LAST EDITED ON May-25-12 AT 06:08PM (MST)[p]GotbowAZ; Do not have any pics that I can download on the internet. It is one of the fancier ones with alot of gingerbread decoration and high pillars in front. We had to redo the shingle roof two years ago and that cost was over 25K. The roofer had fun doing the high peak copula that sets on top of the roof.

It was wired for electric in the 30's and we had that old wiring replaced and updated for over 22K. We were contacted by the historic building people to have it listed as a Historical site and we turned them down. Reason for that is that they have the final say so on any remodeling jobs even down to what paint color to use. Huge amount of redtape and no real advantage to us for listing it.

Eel, I believe there is a company in or around Ft. Bragg that can restore the old Victorian homes and even dupicate the gingerbread wood work found on them. To build new and dupicate some of those old large victorian homes would cost well over a million bucks today. They are worth keeping the maintance up and preserving them. Also the 12 ft. high ceilings give you plenty of room to hang your animal mounts.

RELH

Nice Eel! Is that the same tree your cutting on today? A guy could cut on that tree for 2 life times. Lot of tooth picks!

Rutnbuck

Great video Eel.

I was able to watch 'em bring down a few of those up around McKinleyville in the spring of '72. Got some still shots and super-8 film. That crew really knew what they were doing...true professionals.

I've been through the mill at Scotia several times over the years. Always fascinating. Got to see them running the circular and the band saws.

You've seen some good years for sure.

>Not a particularly huge Redwood but
>you don't see many fell
>like this anymore. I spent
>5 years logging old growth
>Redwoods back in the late
>60's and early 70's.
>
>
>
>Handling those tree jacks takes a
>major effort. And those saws
>with the long bars are
>pretty cool.
>
>Eel

That is a cool video. I spent some time in Eureka, the summer before I went to school. Whilst getting in shape to play football, the locals reminded me to be really careful about where I trained in the hills.

Hey, Eel, did you plant that tree?

In 1984 I ran an 090 Stihl with a 60in. bar once...over in Joey's country out of Westwood CA..cut 21 Sugar Pine in one day that all were bar fulls or more...I fell and bucked the first cut...my partner limbed and bucked the rest of the trees..we were busheling and it was our best money day ever..we were getting $7.00 a thousand board feet...ended up cutting 137,000 that day..Loved falling timber-a major Adrenalin high for 6 hours a day..got some pics somewhere if you would like to see...
I could CHASE down a buck deer back then..HEHEHE

Dig them pics out longun, love to see them!!

84 was my first or second year up on the mountain, i was thirty. I had to wup up on about 3-4 loggers in Chester just to have them leave me be. I too believe i was about on top of my game back then, used to hunt bear with a baseball bat.

Never did cut any of the big Sugar Pines or other sale-able stuff as the piss fir willies were hard on a wood cutter if he did so but those big ol cedar or doug fir snags would curl the hairs on the back of my neck when i'd be falling them out there alone. Some were all hollowed out or dished from being burned...I'd talk over falling them with a faller buddy the night before but still, it's a wonder i didn't get myself killed.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Bigfoot, the Chinese probably own the land and the tree.:)

JB, they are fast. They're non union.:)

Longun, please do post some photos and some stories.

Eel

>how long would it take eel??
>
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

That's unknown, as the biggest tree I've ever cut down is a christmas tree. I worked on the landing for a couple years so bucked a lot.

I used to help the fallers, but just goofing around, nothing serious.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom