Time for a new system in Utah?

Utah400Elk

Very Active Member
First thing first, I have already drawn my Utah LE elk tag. I only think it's fair to put that our there first. That being said, I think it's time for the Utah point system to change. I would like to see Utah go to a system where a person has to choose between a general hunt or a LE hunt. I would be willing to bet that most of the general season elk and deer hunters are also building points. This is causing a bottleneck in the point system.

I propose a system wherein a person buys a point every year. The point should cost the same amount of money as a general season tag. The person then has a choice: they either keep their points and build points for a LE hunt or they turn their point in for a general season tag. The LE drawing should be split so that 65% of the tags go to the point people (Utah could use their current 50% to the max point holders) and 30% open to both point people and new people. 5% should be set aside for the youth hunters. This system could be put into place with the current points. The people that have points have the harder decisions. Do they keep building points or do they keep hunting every year? The hunting in Utah can't sustain both IMO.

I think a system like this would help with the bottleneck in the current point system and help the quality of the general season hunters.

What do you think? Would you be willing to give up the general hunts for the LE hunts? Do you think this would help the quality in the general hunts?

well....you guys will feel different after you get YOUR LE tag......lol

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I'm a NR and drew my LE tag this year.
I like the current system as is.
You have an increasing, weighted chance at drawing the tag every year. You can look at the point pools and get a good idea when you'll be "guaranteed" a tag (provided the pools remain the same). It's a pretty good system if you want to have a guaranteed tag at some point.

The problem isn't the system, it's the people in the system. Most want a top end tag and don't want to wait for it.

I would support the idea and I am still sitting on all my points.

Wapiti- I don't think the problem is the people wanting "top end" tags, it is so hard to draw a tag and you can hunt general every year anyway, that it isn't worth "burning" all your points on anything except extraordinary...especially since you will probably never hunt a trophy unit again. EVER.

At least that is the way I see it. That is why I am still building points, and not hunting every year. I GET ONE SHOT!

Grizzly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom