Time to end points

You like points, but drew your Ram in the lotto side of the draw?

You got lucky, but want a sytem that cuts the chances of getting lucky.

You could get lucky and draw a Pauns tag with no points, might do it every 5 years.
The way you describe the Utah system above is the same as Idaho and New Mexico. Except Utah is better because they have the bonus pass also. Were the highest point holders that have been in the game the longest have a chance at some tags before the RANDOM draw occurs.

Everyone in the RANDOM draw in Utah has a chance to draw the tags just as they do in Idaho and New Mexico.
The Utah RANDOM draw is actually better than Idaho and New Mexico as it does slightly favor people that have been at it longer.
Believe me the odds of drawing a quality tag in Idaho or New Mexico’s totally random draw are really low.
Just as low or worse than Utah’s RANDOM draw.

Has nothing to do with dumb. Moose are cool.

But they are no different than any other species. The pile of dudes at the top just happened to be of hunting age the year points started. If you were 13 that year, you will never draw.

You could have a twin born at 11:59 on Dec 31 and one born Jan 1 at 12:01, and one twin would be a max holder and one a year behind. That's the stupidity of a points system.

Yaaaaa I got a point. So did the other 2500 dudes in front of you for those 20 tags. Meaning you gained zero. In My case I gained .02% chance this year. Which is probably average across OIL.
The only "chance" you have would be pulling a random tag.

Unless your the top holder, your putting in hoping to draw random tags. But somehow you think "someday" you will be max holder. You won't. And if you turned 12 this year. There is ZERO point to try.

Idaho and new Mexico haven't seemed to lost hunters by doing lotto draws.
I very well could be drawing a bonus tag for mtn goat this year, and I’m not close to ‘max’. But I wouldn’t ever have had that chance If I had never “tried” to begin with.

It seems like you feel more entitled to some tags than others, and the only way for you to have the opportunity in your mind is to level the playing field and throw everyone back to zero

You like points, but drew your Ram in the lotto side of the draw?

You got lucky, but want a sytem that cuts the chances of getting lucky.

You could get lucky and draw a Pauns tag with no points, might do it every 5 years.
Your missing the point. Of course i got lucky. I checked my draw odds that year and with my 4 points, my true odds we're about 1/ 144. If it would have been a pure random draw, my odds would have been 1/235. So I did have a better chance with just those 4 points.

I very well could be drawing a bonus tag for mtn goat this year, and I’m not close to ‘max’. But I wouldn’t ever have had that chance If I had never “tried” to begin with.

It seems like you feel more entitled to some tags than others, and the only way for you to have the opportunity in your mind is to level the playing field and throw everyone back to zero

No. The points livers feel entitled.

I'm 46. My boy is 14.

He should have the EXACT same chance at any tag as I do. Your not special because your dad got with your mom earlier.

The points system is the very definition of entitled.

"I deserve a tag cuz I was born earlier"

You SHOULD deserve nothing more or nothing less tgan the next guy.

Wildlife is owned by the public. Not the grey hair public a little more.

The way you describe the Utah system above is the same as Idaho and New Mexico. Except Utah is better because they have the bonus pass also. Were the highest point holders that have been in the game the longest have a chance at some tags before the RANDOM draw occurs.

Everyone in the RANDOM draw in Utah has a chance to draw the tags just as they do in Idaho and New Mexico.
The Utah RANDOM draw is actually better than Idaho and New Mexico as it does slightly favor people that have been at it longer.
Believe me the odds of drawing a quality tag in Idaho or New Mexico’s totally random draw are really low.
Just as low or worse than Utah’s RANDOM draw.

I'd have to look. I think My odds at 40 in Idaho are 2%.

I'd be shocked if with 0 points my odds at Pauns, Henry, or the other 5-7 top units is 2%

I'd bet if need 10 points to be at 2%.

hoss
I’ll tell you what. I’ve got some time since not a lot of work going on now so I can look those odds up.
I’ll let you know
I can tell you right now though that unit 40 in Idaho doesn’t have anywhere near the quantity or quality of bucks the Pauns or Henry’s has.

Limited entry hunts and general hunts should come out of the same pool. Hunters should have to choose quantity or quality. Only then will we find out where the demand is. Convert bonus points to preference points and let the chips fall where they may. Government administration should work better than massive point creep lines. I have 3 teenagers. The point creep game is expensive and time consuming to plan and track.

Last edited:
hoss
I’ll tell you what. I’ve got some time since not a lot of work going on now so I can look those odds up.
I’ll let you know
I can tell you right now though that unit 40 in Idaho doesn’t have anywhere near the quantity or quality of bucks the Pauns or Henry’s has.
hoss
You hit the nail on the head with your draw odds estimate.
Idaho controlled buck hunt unit 40 in 2019 had 19 nonresident permits drawn and was a 2% chance to draw.

Here are my projected draw odds for the 2020 Henry’s and Pauns resident rifle Buck Deer.
These figures do not include the hunters that drew the bonus tags in 2019 or the ones that are likely to draw the bonus tags in 2020.
These are the projected odds for the random pass only.
These are based off of the Utah Limited Entry 2019 post draw statistics.

44A286F5-0E27-4B46-B9AA-781446BD3628.png
1AA600A4-4E64-4F74-AE1F-117886D69B0F.png

It is extremely annoying when points haters only use the upper tier units to explain why the system is unfair.
Just so you know I’m not a point hater
The Henry’s and the Pauns are the only two limited entry deer units I have ever applied for in Utah.
Those are the only limited entry units I want to hunt in Utah.
I have a lot of points now and might even draw a bonus tag before I get too old.
So obviously I do not want the points system taken away.
That may seem selfish to some folks but that’s my opinion.
I do love wild game meat and have raised my family on it.
However that is not the reason I hunt.
So for now I am in favor of the point system’s.

I was 39 when I started collecting points in CO. I was 60 before I was able to draw my elk tag. Cashing in my deer point this year and will be done in CO. I have max point for Moose in UT and doubt I will e er draw that tag. System is what it is. Nothing is perfect but I do like WY with at least some chance at drawing a tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom