Time to start doing squats!

Trad Bow 1979

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-18 AT 11:51AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-18 AT 08:42?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-18 AT 08:23?AM (MST)

I drew 1st archery elk in 53, yep it?ll be a tough one! I got a few spots in mind but I am curious to something. Can you park at the bovarian restaurant and grab a trail head or access the NF from there? It's a good access area but I know September is still their busy season and I was wondering if anyone has done that before.

Congrats on the tag!
I've hunted the rifle hunt up there several times and this year the wife drew the muzzy tag so I'll be up there again this October. I'll be happy to share spots and since you'll be up there before me maybe you can share some info too! PM me anytime!

Ryan

You can park in the TSV parking lot and go up Bull of the Woods.
But Yerba or Italanos trail heads will get you into the same country without so much traffic ie "granola munchers"...LOL
Those trail heads are farther down the road to TSV
and get you into the East side of Lobo Peak some very nice Bulls in that country but very tough in and out. GL
Jack

>Congrats on the tag!
>I've hunted the rifle hunt up
>there several times and this
>year the wife drew the
>muzzy tag so I'll be
>up there again this October.
> I'll be happy to
>share spots and since you'll
>be up there before me
>maybe you can share some
>info too! PM me
>anytime!
>
>Ryan

Thanks for the response Ryan, ill PM you my info in a few. And ill definitely be happy to share what I find in September for your muzzy hunt. Congrats to you and your wife as well on drawing a tag.

Aaron

>You can park in the TSV
>parking lot and go up
>Bull of the Woods.
>But Yerba or Italanos trail heads
>will get you into the
>same country without so
>much traffic ie "granola munchers"...LOL
>
>Those trail heads are farther down
>the road to TSV
>and get you into the East
>side of Lobo Peak some
>very nice Bulls in that
>country but very tough
>in and out. GL
>Jack

Jack,

I checked out those trailheads on caltrop.com. I never hiked them but I remember driving past them last time I drove up towards the peak thinking "man if someone was hunting up those hills they would have no competition". LOL. I am interested in checking out at least one of those trails on the next coming holiday weekend in May. Think ill have to strongly evaluate how if I can safely get an elk out of there. But if there are bulls in there, its worth a look. Thanks for the info!

I hear this is the most brutal unit in nm. I really wanted to try it this year but hunt partner not so much on rough terrain. I know there are some giants in there and some good bears as well. Great tag and good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-18 AT 09:40AM (MST)[p]Edited: Nevermind...they turned that into a national monument!

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-18
>AT 09:40?AM (MST)

>
>Edited: Nevermind...they turned that into a
>national monument!

What got turned into a national monument? I'd like to know just so I know where to avoid.

>I hear this is the most
>brutal unit in nm.
>I really wanted to try
>it this year but hunt
>partner not so much on
>rough terrain. I know
>there are some giants in
>there and some good bears
>as well. Great tag
>and good luck!

I appreciate it! It?ll be a test for sure. Might be one of those hunts where you pray for a 300? bull but thank god your only packing out a spike. ?

>>LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-18
>>AT 09:40?AM (MST)

>>
>>Edited: Nevermind...they turned that into a
>>national monument!
>
>What got turned into a national
>monument? I'd like to know
>just so I know where
>to avoid.

The best place to hunt elk is the range next to Questa. Ute mountain was another place but together they now form "Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument". Essentially they took prime public elk hunting land away.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-18 AT 04:12PM (MST)[p]Hunt1...Essentially yer full of **** the Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument is open to hunt and ALWAYS will be. Don't know where you got your Info ? But its incorrect
Jack

82nd Don't rule out Ute Mountain there is a large population of Elk on that Mt. But be warned its a bunch of big rocks with little rocks piled on top.....
Jack

There is access on the trail above the Bavarian. However there is a designated parking just prior to the Bavarian. 2mi. Hike to Williams lake. Squats will help. You are correct it is a busy time of year for that trail. I would keep going over to the other side of wheeler. Perhaps get picked up or stage a vehicle on the other side near East fork. Good luck!

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-18
>AT 04:12?PM (MST)

>
>Hunt1...Essentially yer full of **** the
>Rio Grande Del Norte National
>Monument is open to hunt
>and ALWAYS will be. Don't
>know where you got your
>Info ? But its incorrect
>
>Jack

Then by all means he should go hunt the area I said as he will be in elk, but try not access it through the side by the blm recreation area or he'll end up with a ticket.

>Were you in the 82nd?

Yes Sir!
1st BN 504TH parachute infantry regiment. I served as a machine gunner in a rifle company then as a sniper in headquarters company.

Thank you all so much! I'm going to look into the site mountain and verify with the national forest service just to be safe. Glad to know it's a place to look. And yea I was also thinking about Williams lake Trail. I hiked it years ago and thought it had potential. Thank you all again!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom