timp bighorns

T

timpram

My hunt starts on Nov.1 and the rams have been pretty elusive all fall. I've found some rams but not any giants. I would be greatful for any sighting info. With all the hunters that have been up there chasing deer and elk I bet someone has bumped into them. Thanks

They seem to like to hangout in the mouth of AF canyon by the ranger station fee area, up in those cliffs.
I'd go there and ask the ranger if he's seen any....he's there everyday.
Good luck!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Bad timing drawing that tag with the disease and die off this year. Good luck. Hope you can find something.

thanks guys. Opening day today and I found two smaller rams in Battle Creek. Quit a few ewes, hopefully the big boys will show up after this storm.

Keep us updated. Good luck. You have a long uphill battle but i hope you can get a big one.

Last year I could see them with my spotting scope from my deck up battle creek. I haven't even looked this year because of the lack of snow. There is a skiff of snow up there now, so I'll take a look when the snow stops. Good luck.

The more eyes the better. Ive seen a total of 5 rams so far with the biggest being about a 3/4 curl. Some are still on top of timp on the south side. Some above Alpine and Ive heard reports of some on Baldy and G mt. but I havent been able to see them. Hunt goes till the 30th. If you see a 3/4 curl or better I'd like to know and would be greatful for the help. Thanks.

I'm going to go do some glassing for ya tomorrow. I hope you can get one. We're all rootin for ya.

I killed a nice ram on the 16th. It was a ram I saw earlier but wanted to keep looking. He ended up scoring 164 1/4. A 7 1/2 year old. I'm very happy with him. He was above Alpine, pretty high on the mountain. I was able to have my boys there with me(8 and 12) when we got him, that was priceless. Thanks for watching for me. He was one of only seven rams I could find. I hope the heard can come back but its not looking good. I'll try to get some pictures up soon. You will also be able to see him at the Outdoor Expo in SLC in Feb. Thanks again.

Congrats! That thing is beautiful. I am pretty sure i have pictures of number 47 from last winter if you are interested.

Man that thing is a stud. Nothing wrong with that ram.

"You only live once,but if you work it right, once is enough" -Joe E. Lewis

47 was the largest ram I have seen North of Provo Canyon for the past 3 years. Congratulations on your hunt, especially spending the time with your boys. Thanks for sharing the photos.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-08 AT 09:23AM (MST)[p]Congratulations on a beautiful Bighorn and doing it with your boys will be an experience none of you will ever forget. Hopefully there will still be rams there for your boys to hunt some day. As I said in the sheep section, only three years ago I was keeping track of a band of five rams equal to or even better than yours near AF canyon. But I have not seen them since. Sheep are so sensitive---I hope this herd makes it. Anyway, you have a very nice ram! You ought to post it in the Sheep section for everyone to see.

Congratulations again Paul. Thanks for bringing it by for me to look at; it sure is a beutiful animal. Like a lot of other people have said, that was a special moment that you were able to share with your boys. All of you will cherish those memories forever. Good job

Here's a photo of your ram that I took last winter near the golf course in PG.

493d21a615989a05.jpg

Sounds as if you were lucky he lived to the hunt. It's sad to hear that many of the sheep didn't or won't make it on that unit.

Congrats on a good ram.

Have a good one. BB

Congrats on the ram! That's awesome you were able to share it with your young kids too. Not many youngsters or adults for that matter will ever experience a sheep hunt.

What's the main cause of this herds failure-disease, overpredation??? I drive Provo canyon weekly and don't see near the sheep I use to.

buglinbilly, thanks for sharing your photo, thats a great shot! Did you get pictures of any other good rams? Or have you seen any this year yet? As for your question Prism. There are basically two different herds on the unit, one south of Provo canyon and one north. The south heard has been nearly completly wipped out by desease. The North heard more by predation. There are still some sheep there but very few lambs are making it to adulthood. There is one thing they have going for them. They released some that they got from CO and they are staying alot higher on the mountain. They seem to be doing better than the ones that stay lower. I feel very lucky to have had the chance to hunt these amazing animals, I hope someone else will get the oppertunity as well.

Here's a few other rams whose photos I took last year. All of these were from the group South of Provo Canyon.

I saw this one lying up on the hill and moved in for a photo. For a while I thought he might be dead, but after shooting this picture (and it was taken from less than 10 yards, he got up and another ram was laying in a ravine that I hadn't seen. They moved off a bit and the second one started feeding. That he is he second ram. The others I took at different times last winter.

4941da4f2a2bb394.jpg

4941db7f341f4c68.jpg

4941dc4638e038d4.jpg

4941dd013f2cd7ad.jpg

Have a good one. BB

Bill, Those are the perfect photos to show what happened to the South Utah County herd. Look at the condition of the last rams. Skinny and malnourished. Then look at the nose of the last ram and you can see the darkness below the nostrils caused by the runny nose. This ram has pnuemonia and I think he died shortly after Bill took the photo.

As I understand it, the sheep died from pasturella. Contact with domestic sheep causes the wild sheep to contract disease which they are not immune to. The disease then causes the wild sheep to develope pnuemonia and that is the cause of death. Pnuemonia causes the sheep to become malnourished, weak and unable to recover from its effects. Just look at Bill's last photos and you can see all the signs of diseased bighorn sheep, especially the darkness below the nostrils.

www.sagebasin.com

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-08 AT 01:23PM (MST)[p]How much $$$ was put into this area for the transplant? Just curious.

Too bad it's not working out. I really liked having some sheep to look at so close to home.

I know Karl Molone donaed 80 grand + another 80 grand for a tag last year, and I'm sure there was alot more than that. I'm thinking the ram I killed must have been sick too. From the picture you posted of him last winter he had almost no horn growth all summer. He seemed pretty healthy when I shot him.

Just some info you might find interesting; The ram I killed was released in '02 as a lamb. He came from Sula Montana. Talked to the Biologist the other day and he said they had spotted a domestic sheep with the heard of CO sheep on Timp. Hired a chopper to kill it but were not able to get it. This is more bad news for this heard of sheep.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom