Tipping a taxidermist???

G

GrandpaNasty

my buddy just picked up his whitetail deer from the taxidermist. he said it looked great and tipped the guy another $50. What? I thought tipping was for waitresses and bellboys? he paid the guy a lot of money at the set price, why pay more? is this common?

Seems crazy to me. That is why you pick taxidermist A over taxidermist B. Because you think he does a better job. Never heard of tipping a taxidermist before. I tihnk we are gettign alittle crazy in this country with having to "TIP" everone. I agree that maybe a couple beers would be about it.

Have to tip? I don't think so. However, if the guy liked the work and wanted to show it with a tip, that's fine I see no problem with it.

This whole tipping thing is getting out of hand IMHO. Sure it's fine to tip, and to each there own, but soon it will be EXPECTED from those that have been tipped once or twice. Same with tipping a guide. If you can, and if you think they deserve it go ahead and tip them for their efforts. BUT a guide should never expect it all the time, it's a TIP, not a wage, they are already getting a wage from the outfitter for guiding you.
And yes I do tip, for the handful of guided hunts I have been on I have tipped more than the "normal" 10%, but the guide deserved it also. :)

Lien2

I have received tips many times up to a couple hundred dollars,
I have never expected it or do I expect it, but I do appreciate
it when I do get a tip.

For the time a "good" taxidermist spends on a mount, I think tipping is a great way to show your appreciation ! There is a lot more work than meets the eye with a great art piece.

Arnt you already paying for the work... I can see paying a waitress because their wage if any is minimal without the tip there wouldnt be many waitresses. A taxidermist already charges for his sevices...if he needs to make more money then he can raise his prices.. A waitres cant do that!

If you bring the taxidermist something that's been dragged or hung by the neck with rope, improperly caped, kept out too long in warm weather, or otherwise mishandled, maybe a tip is a good thing. On the other hand, maybe a properly handled cape or carcass should be done at a discount! As for guides, if the guide has made an honest effort, and worked hard for you all the hunt, he should get a tip. Guides don't make peanuts when you factor in the 14 to 16 hour days.

tipping for doing a good job? thats the whole reason that tipping is out of control. if they do something super extra that should have maybe cost more, then yeah why not. but for doing the job expected?? no way. plus if they are "good" then their prices may already reflect this fact, and its only in their best interest to do a good job to get referalls, etc..

im from spain. and back when i was younger no one tipped. now because of tourists tipping is normal practice. about 1% is normal, so they still arent on our level. but its all because of our US ways.

I have never tipped my taxidermist due to the fact that the price set out at the beginning when I had chosen the taxidermist was the price I paid for a GOOD JOB. You dont spend $700 on a shoulder mount whitetail for a crappy job, then tip if he did a good one. You pay the price set forth by the taxidermist, hopefully the taxi does his job and hopefully you are satisfied.

Justin

- Long-Range, The next best thing to being there !!!!

Well, I like this tipping idea. I do all of my own taxidermy so I think I will go tip my taxidermist to a couple beers. He doesn't do the best job, but he sure puts in the effort. : )

I know that many taxidermists will not charge the same amount consistantly for say a shoulder mount. When I take the cape and horns to my taxi he definately looks at the cape before he writes up the work order. I know other guys got a different price than I did on my last buck. If the Taxi thinks that a certain mount is going to be more or less work, they will charge accordingly....I know I paid extra for that split ear on my blacktail....

My tip for good work are referrals to my friends to the taxi. Plus the interest on the Deposit I gave him is tip enough....

Valid points guys. How about a twelve pack of Michelob or better beer for the tip!

Does the guy get a lot of taxidermy work done? Since it's not regular practice, I bet the taxidermist will remember him next time. I'm sure the difference between a really good job and a great job takes quite a bit of additional time and detail...maybe he just wants to make sure he gets the very best the taxidermist has to offer?

SEA-BISCUIT IN THE 4TH....NOW THERES A TIP. YEA I'M GUILTY OF THE TIP THING WHEN WARRANTED, IT DOES GET OUT OF HAND THOUGH.----YD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom