Tipping for guided hunt?

MuddyBoots

I'm leaving in a couple weeks on my first guided hunt for sheep in Alaska. The outfitter is guiding me himself along with a packer. My questions are: how much is fair to tip for the packer and where the outfitter himself is guiding me,is a tip still in order for him?

I'd tip both for sure. Packers I have paid $100 a day several years ago. I'd ask the outfitter on this one. As for the guide/outfitter if you kill a nice ram $1k is in order IMHO.

Did you pay the outfitter his asking price for the hunt already he got his share.
Packer would be the only one you should be tipping because he probably isn't making enough from the outfitter.

Next time you have a steel building done or have any welding done you should tip that guy a lot. At least enough so he can go on a sheep hunt.IMHO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Nothing for the outfitter. 10% plus or minus for the cost of the hunt for the packer. I did a guided elk hunt several years ago and the packer was a complete azz hat. He was constantly arguing with the cook. Apparently that wasn't enough as started in with my guide and then he made a smartazz comment to me the last day of the hunt. His tip dropped to zero...

The outfitter is also your guide on this hunt so he should be tipped like any other guide should be. That's just my opinion.

Tip the outfitter if he's the guide too. 10% minimum and the packer, the cook, the camp #####, etc all need a little cheese too.
Make it RAIN!!!!

Prior to my first sheep hunt I studied this question and got the following guidelines from the "Grand Slam Club" boys.
They suggested first that tipping is a personal thing and obviously the better off you are the more you can share.
General guideline was a total tip of 10% of the cost of the hunt, to be divided with the guide, packer, cook, wrangler, etc.
They suggested you didn't need to tip the outfitter, since he had already gotten his money.
The grey part is the outfitter is also the guide, so there is were the "personal" part comes in.
I followed that guideline on my hunt, giving most to the guide, and some to the wrangler. The cook was a Jack*^&% and even got in a fight with the wrangler one night and knocked over my gun.
I let him and the outfitter know about the incident and withheld compensation.
Best of Luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom