tips for a 1st time trail cam user, please

mainer

I just ordered a Cuddeback Expert. I want to set it up for checking out moose. Late Spring and Summer there will be long periods of time, like a month or two, between my checking it. Any tips regarding placement, timing between shots, size and range of viewing area, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I've never used any kind of trail cam before. Thanks very much.

I would suggest larger gaps between pictures if your leaving it that long. Most importantly hide it, I tried my hand at it last bowhunt and I had to replace memory cards because of people stealing them. I know they would have taken the camera if it wasn't chained and locked. Good luck, hope people in your corner of the world are more honest than around here.........

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-08 AT 09:06PM (MST)[p]2 sets of batterys, 2 memory cards. When you go in to check the camera swap batterys and mem card with fresh ones. Elk will really bother a trail camera, make sure its secure well. If you place it in an area where other people might find it, look into a bracket bar through the rear straps with a python cable going around the entire camera, through the bar and around the tree. This will prevent people from getting it open.

Edit: For tips and tricks regarding your specific camera hit up www.chasingame.com

-DallanC

Keep clear of brush/trees/grass that may trigger it and put hundreds of useless pics on it. Also try use the sun in your favor with your placement. And watch out for any utards that will snake it. Good Luck post some pics when you get it set up.
2005killfotos154.jpg

2007jel094.jpg

aV79azS-0e0838df2cc46965b19440f519b.jpg

get the bear safe box to put it in. Worth their weight in gold. I checked mine today and got video of a bear trying to eat the camera. we don't even really have bears in this area either.
cold dead hands

I'd dang sure spend the time and effort to secure it to the tree. I've lost two cameras with solar chargers and the works last fall. It really sucks when you return to the tree and find the whole setup gone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom